Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That would be a dream come true! Imagine it being Aaliyah's Aaliyah or One In A Million, then R. Kelly's 12 Play or R. Kelly and then finally Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear or I Want You!

That would be life-changing for me, as that's very much albums I enjoyed in my high school years!

I read an article a few years back about Gary Glitter fans who felt that they'd had huge sections of their life almost made null and void. Years following him around for live gigs, hanging around backstage to try and get a glimpse. It was almost taboo to mention his music and they were all meeting up in secret in hotels to listen to his albums as a group. I remember thinking at the time that surely it was easier to just start listening to Slade or Wizard instead and then you could talk about them as much as you wanted... especially at Christmas.

But hopefully it's only a matter of time before positive reference to anything R Kelly produced is similarly made to be as taboo. The guy is a bonefide monster.

I read an article a few years back about Gary Glitter fans who felt that they'd had huge sections of their life almost made null and void. Years following him around for live gigs, hanging around backstage to try and get a glimpse. It was almost taboo to mention his music and they were all meeting up in secret in hotels to listen to his albums as a group. I remember thinking at the time that surely it was easier to just start listening to Slade or Wizard instead and then you could talk about them as much as you wanted... especially at Christmas.

But hopefully it's only a matter of time before positive reference to anything R Kelly produced is similarly made to be as taboo. The guy is a bonefide monster.
That's so interesting and that's so crazy fans met together in hotels to listen to Gary Glitter's albums!!! Like...WHAAAAAT!?!?

R. Kelly really is a monster! I still listen to and enjoy his music, and play his music around my family and friends, because I am just someone that plays whatever I feel like at the time and don't think too much into things, but it is.....truly terrible the stuff R. Kelly committed!

Even at work they still play the Ignition (Remix) and everyone always loves it when that song plays! And 'Half On a Baby' is always one of my favourite late night songs to play when me and my sister or me and my friends are just chilling in my room with music in the background!

I don't think I said it won't ever be Ghostface Killah's Fishscale! I was pretty certain it was going to be Ghostface Killah's Apollo Kids from the 120 clue, and then just didn't know what it could be after Storf mentioned the next clues! We all thought it was gonna be GZA, but I was never like 100% it's GZA! Before it was discovered that Ghostface Killah's Fishscale was a ROTM, I guessed it and said it was out of Fishscale, Return To The 36 Chambers or Liquid Swords! 🧠👈💯

I will not be hyping Cher up at all! It will be getting disappointed mass emojis from me if it is the pick! And I am happy to say that it definitely won't be picked by VMP to be an Essentials ROTM! 🍻🌝👊👏👏👏

The chance of VMP doing a Cher album as an Essentials ROTM is less likely than VMP repressing the FutureSex/LoveSounds exclusive! 😂🔮🆗

How do you listen to what you listen to and somehow hate Cher??

R. Kelly really is a monster! I still listen to and enjoy his music, and play his music around my family and friends, because I am just someone that plays whatever I feel like at the time and don't think too much into things, but it is.....truly terrible the stuff R. Kelly committed!

Herein lies an interesting point - and not just w/ music and not just w/ R Kelly (we all prob have artists we've found to be deplorable to varying degrees); and not just with you (I'm not finger-wagging here; but rather ruminating)

What you point out here is a morality based on proximity and convenience, among other things.

Proximity - those accusations/crimes only exist as a news story for you and me. The victims, while we may seem them tearful, hurt, etc on TV, we are not actually confronted with anything in the bubble of our lives. So, it is easy to feel bad for them without really feeling bad. I wonder if you'd feel different about, in this case, R. Kelly's music if it was a female close to you in your life? Would the music's entanglement in your memory still weigh more than his crimes?

Convenience - well, that's easy. It is inconvenient to excise that love from one's life. We look at it as not fair; not our burden. And that inconvenience is easier to avoid given the star power that allows us to drown out the noise. Look at an MJ - he has largely remained unassailable. People can still proclaim that they love songs like R. Kelly's Ignition. It takes a very large fall for a great star to lose that protection (e.g. Cosby) or someone who is not at such great heights to begin with (e.g. Ryan Adams).

I know VMP won't press R. Kelly. If they did, though, I would hope most people would swap or leave. Even streaming, you're giving him money, but to hold a physical piece of media draws us closer to an artist just as much as what we collect differentiates our self from the other. I would hope everyone would do as little as possible to draws themselves closer to a "man" like that - talent or no.

How do you listen to what you listen to and somehow hate Cher??
I don't hate her at all, I'm just not a fan of her music overall and definitely don't like any of her albums! I do love her classic hit 'Believe' though! I don't like that album though, and I don't like the other hit on that album too; Strong Enough.

Cher just isn't for me! Do you like Cher's music JonnyH? Any albums you love by Cher?

I don't hate her at all, I'm just not a fan of her music overall and definitely don't like any of her albums! I do love her classic hit 'Believe' though! I don't like that album though, and I don't like the other hit on that album too; Strong Enough.

Cher just isn't for me! Do you like Cher's music JonnyH? Any albums you love by Cher?

Oh i fuck with Cher. Mostly 60s and 70s Cher, but she is a treasure and a cultural icon.

Not everyone has your taste 🙄
mmmmmm I forget that sometimes because I feel like everyone would be at least a tiny bit excited for an OutKast ROTM, and if not, like if hip-hop isn't their thing, then maybe an Erykah Badu ROTM! But of course many people on here won't care one bit for either of those artists and wouldn't enjoy their music. Just doesn't go through my mind at first because I see them as such loved artists!

Erykah Badu and OutKast don't interest you one bit!? 👀
I'm kind of the same on this. Happy to listen to them, but do I want to throw down some serious cash to have them on vinyl? Nah, you're good. At the end of the day, I think I may rather spend my cash on stuff I actively choose.

I'm going to wait and see what the releases are going to be before I decide if I'm cancelling again, but it's looking likely. My fear is that the essentials line becomes a "popular indie/alt/rap albums from the 90's-2010's that are expensive on vinyl with a couple of big hitter oldies", just so us early middle-aged record collectors go mad when they re-press a white whale. Essentials effectively becomes Uncut/Mojo - the record subscription...

Herein lies an interesting point - and not just w/ music and not just w/ R Kelly (we all prob have artists we've found to be deplorable to varying degrees); and not just with you (I'm not finger-wagging here; but rather ruminating)

What you point out here is a morality based on proximity and convenience, among other things.

Proximity - those accusations/crimes only exist as a news story for you and me. The victims, while we may seem them tearful, hurt, etc on TV, we are not actually confronted with anything in the bubble of our lives. So, it is easy to feel bad for them without really feeling bad. I wonder if you'd feel different about, in this case, R. Kelly's music if it was a female close to you in your life? Would the music's entanglement in your memory still weigh more than his crimes?

Convenience - well, that's easy. It is inconvenient to excise that love from one's life. We look at it as not fair; not our burden. And that inconvenience is easier to avoid given the star power that allows us to drown out the noise. Look at an MJ - he has largely remained unassailable. People can still proclaim that they love songs like R. Kelly's Ignition. It takes a very large fall for a great star to lose that protection (e.g. Cosby) or someone who is not at such great heights to begin with (e.g. Ryan Adams).

I know VMP won't press R. Kelly. If they did, though, I would hope most people would swap or leave. Even streaming, you're giving him money, but to hold a physical piece of media draws us closer to an artist just as much as what we collect differentiates our self from the other. I would hope everyone would do as little as possible to draws themselves closer to a "man" like that - talent or no.
I see where you're coming from. My perspective is probably very odd and open minded because I see Apple for example as just as bad as they knew that children were getting exploded by bombs, just for their gain. Like, there's so much messed up shit that even Australia does to its neighbouring countries like East Timor, polluting their land with waste and it kills the babies and increases the likelihood of deformities etc. Or with the asylum seekers and Australian workers raping the asylum seekers at the Detention Centre and government hiding all of this.

I probably look a bit crazy and nonsensical writing that, but it sums up my feelings overall. Like, even with what I've seen and the stories I've heard from travelling to countries like India, Afghanistan, South Africa and Honduras, it's heartbreaking. I just think of it more of myself in that I don't contribute, or commit, or promote etc such behaviour.

It's too complex and I think I'm bad with my words, but what you are saying with Proximity and Convenience doesn't relate to me personally with my mindset. One of my best friends Dad is a paedophile and his house got raided a few years ago and he went to prison for a bit etc, and my friends are a bit like 'I don't want anything to do with him', but I am willing to still see him happily. Of course I'd still have in my head of what he's done, but I would be just interested to see what he's like and the conversations we would have. That close friend still sees her dad.

I've done a lot of travelling and definitely feel like I've been exposed to the darkness in this world, but I am still very naive in a sense, but I feel like I am very open minded. And I don't just sweep things under the rug when it comes to sexual assault or serious unethical behaviour, I would be happy to talk about it. Again, I probably don't make much sense and I think personally I would be different if R. Kelly sexually assaulted someone I personally knew. But then again, I probably wouldn't have an Apple Watch if I knew someone personally, who's kid was killed because of Apple.

But...when it is Cher. And have no doubt, it will be Cher (Baby Diaper knows these things - remember when you said no way it will be Fishscale and I called it)....we expect you will toe the company line and hype it with mass emojidom?
Storf's last instagram post featured two Cher albums...

It's too complex and I think I'm bad with my words, but what you are saying with Proximity and Convenience doesn't relate to me personally with my mindset.

I appreciate the response. I don't think I agree with much of what you said (and that's ok here), but I appreciate that you've certainly thought about it and right, wrong, or other you definitely come from a position of kindness. Thank you.

I would like to point out, though, the one part I quoted above. Just because one's mindset doesn't encompass, regard, etc. something does not mean it does not relate to them.

I appreciate the response. I don't think I agree with much of what you said (and that's ok here), but I appreciate that you've certainly thought about it and right, wrong, or other you definitely come from a position of kindness. Thank you.

I would like to point out, though, the one part I quoted above. Just because one's mindset doesn't encompass, regard, etc. something does not mean it does not relate to them.
mmmmm I think I agree with you more looking back at the post! But I'd need to hear you in person and have a conversation so I can connect more with what you're saying!

This would be a topic I would like discussing with people in person! I would be very interested in hearing people's thoughts and opinions and hearing/seeing them express it!

Back