Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Storfs post did have some weird wording like “vinyl version” so idk, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation imo. Like bonus tracks or altered/completed tracklisting? I didn’t read it like first time ever on vinyl.

Storfs post did have some weird wording like “vinyl version” so idk, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation imo. Like bonus tracks or altered/completed tracklisting? I didn’t read it like first time ever on vinyl
That makes more sense. Though it will still probably be 4th wave pop punk lite

I’ve gone back and forth A LOT on Bitte Orca. It wasn’t an album on my radar. After some research, it looks like, for 2009, it was Pitchfork’s top album, the A.V. club’s number 2, and has landed in the top 20 on the list of a review compilation site I use.

It’s not in my top 4 albums of 2009, though. That would be (1) Animal Collective (2) Mastodon (3) Lady Gaga and (4) either xx or Phoenix or Florence + Machine. So it wouldn’t be one if the ones I pick up as part of my ongoing Best of the Year Ultra Classics Collection (tm).

BUT, like Flaming Lips, after listening to the album a few times, I’ve kinda fallen for it. The male’s singer initially turned me off - seemed like stereotypical indie pretension voice - it has ceased to bug me. I loved the voices of the female vocalists. And the music is Interesting!

But NOW I can’t tell if I’ll actually spin the record very often or if I’m just enamored by something I haven’t heard before. Once the newness wears off, will I still like it?

Probably! I’ve liked the record more on each successive listen.

But is it worth re-subbing for 3 months? I have a swap in mind if I hate February or March, so I can tolerate one miss.

Hmmmmm.....

If you just want this album do yourself a favour and buy it off amazon for like $15. VMP don’t deserve anyone renewing right now!

I’ve gone back and forth A LOT on Bitte Orca. It wasn’t an album on my radar. After some research, it looks like, for 2009, it was Pitchfork’s top album, the A.V. club’s number 2, and has landed in the top 20 on the list of a review compilation site I use.

It’s not in my top 4 albums of 2009, though. That would be (1) Animal Collective (2) Mastodon (3) Lady Gaga and (4) either xx or Phoenix or Florence + Machine. So it wouldn’t be one if the ones I pick up as part of my ongoing Best of the Year Ultra Classics Collection (tm).

BUT, like Flaming Lips, after listening to the album a few times, I’ve kinda fallen for it. The male’s singer initially turned me off - seemed like stereotypical indie pretension voice - it has ceased to bug me. I loved the voices of the female vocalists. And the music is Interesting!

But NOW I can’t tell if I’ll actually spin the record very often or if I’m just enamored by something I haven’t heard before. Once the newness wears off, will I still like it?

Probably! I’ve liked the record more on each successive listen.

But is it worth re-subbing for 3 months? I have a swap in mind if I hate February or March, so I can tolerate one miss.

Hmmmmm.....

stereotypical indie pretension voice. That was my exact first impression of the vocals when I heard it. The flaming lips grew on me after about ten listens. It took forever to get over the lead singers voice. This one has not clicked yet but I'll give it a few more chances. Swapping it this month but I may revisit next month if it's still available.

stereotypical indie pretension voice. That was my exact first impression of the vocals when I heard it. The flaming lips grew on me after about ten listens. It took forever to get over the lead singers voice. This one has not clicked yet but I'll give it a few more chances. Swapping it this month but I may revisit next month if it's still available.
Yeah David Longstreth’s voice can be grating which is why Deradoorian and Amber Coffman are such a nice counterpoint on some songs. The band lost that in later albums.

this for me...I really liked when the female fronted songs popped up but not enough to get this album

Yeah David Longstreth’s voice can be grating which is why Deradoorian and Amber Coffman are such a nice counterpoint on some songs. The band lost that in later albums.
Yup, they have a lot of rhythmic African influences in their music and also are fairly indebted to Talking Heads and Byrne solo albums. They actually collaborated with Byrne on a song and it’s really fuckin’ brilliant!

Last edited:
Dirty Projectors is a good pick because I love that album and have always wanted to own it but have never bought it. It'll also be my last. My three month sub runs out in January and finances mean I'm looking at ways to save money and so I'll be leaving on my 5 year VMP anniversary.

Dirty Projectors is a good pick because I love that album and have always wanted to own it but have never bought it. It'll also be my last. My three month sub runs out in January and finances mean I'm looking at ways to save money and so I'll be leaving on my 5 year VMP anniversary.
I left for the same reason...finances. Not saying this will be the same for you or for anyone else, but it’s been really nice to have extra cash for record shops with buddies. I’m finding I have a lot less stress around missing out on exclusives or sales by just kind of giving up on the whole VMP thing. I was definitely overspending with them.

I left for the same reason...finances. Not saying this will be the same for you or for anyone else, but it’s been really nice to have extra cash for record shops with buddies. I’m finding I have a lot less stress around missing out on exclusives or sales by just kind of giving up on the whole VMP thing. I was definitely overspending with them.

I haven't bought an exclusive since they closed the forum, but yeah, I'd rather spend my VMP money on own purchases. It's basically VMP or my own buys, I can't afford both at the moment.

Back