Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Definitely agree, especially about if it were a store exclusive. The only reason I can dismiss the idea that it was a ROTM is because they were still in their infancy as a company (relatively speaking). Also, they were respecting the artist's requests and this was when Torres said she wanted it on black vinyl because she heard that colored vinyl was inferior. Someone should have talked her out of that decision.

As for the music, when I first listened to it I was getting some St. Vincent vibes and some of those tracks have grown on me over time.
Mmmmmm I agree that it’s OK because as you said, VMP were still in their infancy!

I didn’t connect with the music. I remember giving it a couple of goes but it never did anything for me, apart from one or two tracks I found great!

I love all of St Vincent’s studio albums though! They are all great in their different ways in my opinion! Especially her debut album “Actor”!

In looking through my pile of stickers to see what else can go on my new coffee cup, I noticed that this one is Glow-in-the-dark...

I think it came with the most recent package - for me it was The Flaming Lips.

Wasn't sure if people knew this.

20191102_015530 (2).jpg
20191102_015603 (2).jpg

It's just a cheap ZAK! brand from Target, but I use one at work for ice water and it works really well...10 bucks is much better than 30 for a Yeti.

Last edited:
Just checking in to see if people are talking about being excited for Aretha yet. This has felt like the QOTSA thread for the past two months 😂. I’m tired y’all 😩.

Yes I was more excited for that than Flaming Lips or QOTSA, it was cool to see they're doing AAA mono for that album.
Nothing against stereo mixes, I just think older albums tend to sound better in mono (not all of them of course).

Mmmmmm I agree that it’s OK because as you said, VMP were still in their infancy!

I didn’t connect with the music. I remember giving it a couple of goes but it never did anything for me, apart from one or two tracks I found great!

I love all of St Vincent’s studio albums though! They are all great in their different ways in my opinion! Especially her debut album “Actor”!

I have a swap in this month, and I'm not even particularly excited about that. But Aretha! I am 100% on board and super stoked for it.

A swap for what JonnyH?!?!? I’m confused because don’t you love the Classics track?

What did you swap Queens Of The Stone Age for???

I do love classics but I skip a lot of the jazz. I’m really there for soul and blues. Queens isn’t my cup of tea. Right now I’m swapped for big thief. Which I like, but I don’t think it’s an album of the year contender like some people do. But maybe if I spend time with it I’ll fall in love with it?

I tried to swap for the Ella Xmas album. Seemed like a good way to get another Xmas record. Alas.

Still are giving it away on discogs. Admittedly, the pressing wasn't great and it was on black vinyl which didn't differentiate itself from the standard press (outside of an 8 page booklet). Just an all around not great showing from VMP, but I do agree that the music is great.

And still one of the more impressive guess threads in VMP history...didn't someone guess that album from a tweet that said "black truffle"? Those were the days

Well I've just jumped back in with a 3 month sub after cancelling during the forum apocalypse, and vowing never to return. Alas, I wanted QOTSA, and then if the next month or two don't appeal then I'll opt for Wolfgang and something else to finish off the trio before cancelling again!
next month has already be announced to be aretha franklin

Thanks! I'd completely missed that! Is there a link to what all 3 track options will be?

they have only announced essentials.
Front runners for hip hop guesses seem to be beastie Boys - licensed to ill or Run DMC - Raising hell ( Clue ; one of the most important hip hop Albums of all time) and BB King for classics ( blues Album by another legendary guitarist ) additional Clue: Clasics and RHH are 18 years apart and both have a song About gilrs

they have only announced essentials.
Front runners for hip hop guesses seem to be beastie Boys - licensed to ill or Run DMC - Raising hell ( Clue ; one of the most important hip hop Albums of all time) and BB King for classics ( blues Album by another legendary guitarist ) additional Clue: Clasics and RHH are 18 years apart and both have a song About gilrs

I'd be happy with either of the Hip Hop front runners! That might have to be my first ever add-on month.

I doubt they are but I hope the from runners are wrong. Outside of the title track, they definitely could have picked several better B. B. King albums. Run DMC is important but is dated enough that I'd spin it more as a historical document than an album I enjoy from beginning to end.

Aretha is a great pick, just selfishly wish it was another of my top 3 of hers since I already have it. I'll still be happy to get it anyway and compare with my somewhat noisy original.

Back