Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Isn't every thread in the Vinyl Clubs forum free publicly for that club though?

I don't mind separate VMP threads because I want info on Essentials but don't want to sift through info on Classics and RHH to get it. There was a poll when this forum was established on how to handle it and the current status is what won. There was actually a lot more VMP threads and some were condensed.

Of course! But the FOMO levels for VMP seem to be higher. Of course there are some genuinely great reissues or pressing that people feel good about and want others to get, but I see a lot of the same stuff that the old forum did, in that it encourages people to spend a lot of money on mediocre ones. The guess threads are fun, as are the discussions around the music, but they were obviously started at the older forum for the very reason of stoking FOMO to promote the VMP brand. The fact that these still roll on the same way with the same outcome just feels a little silly. Just my two cents.

At least I don't get shit on when I call them out on bad pressings here.

P
Of course! But the FOMO levels for VMP seem to be higher. Of course there are some genuinely great reissues or pressing that people feel good about and want others to get, but I see a lot of the same stuff that the old forum did, in that it encourages people to spend a lot of money on mediocre ones. The guess threads are fun, as are the discussions around the music, but they were obviously started at the older forum for the very reason of stoking FOMO to promote the VMP brand. The fact that these still roll on the same way with the same outcome just feels a little silly. Just my two cents.

At least I don't get shit on when I call them out on bad pressings here.
Perhaps it's because I don't have as much time to surf around this forum as the old one but I definitely feel less FOMO personally. I made a decision to stick to tracks only unless I really want the exclusive (mainly due to pricing and constant delays). But honestly I don't get to read through every post anymore so I could be off in my observation.

Isn't every thread in the Vinyl Clubs forum free publicly for that club though?

I don't mind separate VMP threads because I want info on Essentials but don't want to sift through info on Classics and RHH to get it. There was a poll when this forum was established on how to handle it and the current status is what won. There was actually a lot more VMP threads and some were condensed.

They are but each club gets one thread regardless of how big they are or how many releases they have. For some reason VMP are on 5. They don’t deserve it and we’re not a FOMO resource of theirs. One thread to inform about releases and talk out problems is more than fair same as anyone else. They’ve chosen Reddit to communicate so go use that or lobby them for a new forum if that’s what you want. We are so much more here now and I kind of resent the expectation that we should have 5 threads to provide such high levels information for any individual club, particularly one that didn’t want us!

They are but each club gets one thread regardless of how big they are or how many releases they have. For some reason VMP are on 5. They don’t deserve it and we’re not a FOMO resource of theirs. One thread to inform about releases and talk out problems is more than fair same as anyone else. They’ve chosen Reddit to communicate so go use that or lobby them for a new forum if that’s what you want. We are so much more here now and I kind of resent the expectation that we should have 5 threads to provide such high levels information for any individual club, particularly one that didn’t want us!

we had the vote and it was overwhelmingly one sided in favor of having 5 threads. it is what it is but i agree having three rotm tracks is annoying

But I really like all five VMP threads! They are all very useful and they are all very active! So I think it’s perfect the way it is! 👌

It keeps most of us Needles&Grooves members very happy! 😃♥️

we had the vote and it was overwhelmingly one sided in favor of having 5 threads. it is what it is but i agree having three rotm tracks is annoying

Mods already said they were fine with 5 and will review it later. Some of us like 5. Some don't.

I know this, I disagree strongly, I’ll say it from time to time when I feel like it because I think we’re better than them and better off without them

But I really like all five VMP threads! They are all very useful and they are all very active! So I think it’s perfect the way it is! 👌

It keeps most of us Needles&Grooves members very happy! 😃

Honestly @NathanRicaud there feels like two communities in here, those who only go into VMP and use this as the unofficial VMP info forum and those who engage everywhere else and make this an amazing community. The sound group are my people and I’m not fussed about facilitating the first...

So ignore the threads if you don't like them?

giphy.gif

Thats so far from the point that it’s untrue...

I wouldn't be opposed to taking it to another vote at some point. At the time it was taken the whole board was trying to figure things out.

I think a vote is counter productive. I think we have staff whose job it is to decide the forums direction and make these decisions. I’ll just throw in my opinion whether I’m asked for it or not haha!

I know this, I disagree strongly, I’ll say it from time to time when I feel like it because I think we’re better than them and better off without them

Honestly @NathanRicaud there feels like two communities in here, those who only go into VMP and use this as the unofficial VMP info forum and those who engage everywhere else and make this an amazing community. The sound group are my people and I’m not fussed about facilitating the first...
Do you think I’m part of the first community - who comes here mainly just for the VMP forum?

I wouldn't be opposed to taking it to another vote at some point. At the time it was taken the whole board was trying to figure things out.

And that's fine. I suspect it will go along the same lines but feel free.

I think a vote is counter productive. I think we have staff whose job it is to decide the forums direction and make these decisions. I’ll just throw in my opinion whether I’m asked for it or not haha!
Understood. I believe staff is just carrying out the will of the people. As someone mentioned before the vote was overwhelming in favor of the current status.

Back