Vinyl Me Please Country

I don’t know you people.
For me it’s easy. I grew up in a small Midwestern town and I fucking hated Country (and especially 90s Country) as I was “too cool” to enjoy it. As I’ve grown up I slowly started letting Country into my life. Cash, and Willie and “Alt. Country” of Old 97s and Whiskeytown and Early Wilco, etc… over time the circle of what I deemed as acceptable Country grew larger and larger until one day I was able to listen to 90s Country with fresh ears and I enjoyed it quite a bit, a lot of the music that was popular when I was kid wasn’t that bad after all. I like some Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith Garth Brooks, George Strait, etc.. now, I enjoy the rowdier Honky Tonk type stuff more than the ballads and I am not a fan over sentimentality or dumb blind Patriotism. Give me a song with some nice guitar licks about drinking or fucking or getting your heart broken and I am all in.

Last edited:
For me it’s easy. I grew up in a small Midwestern town and I fucking hated Country (and especially 90s Country) as I was “too cool” to enjoy it. As I’ve grown up I slowly started letting Country into my life. Cash, and Willie and “Alt. Country” of Old 97s and Whiskeytown and Early Wilco, etc… over time my circle about what I deem as acceptable Country grew larger and larger until one day I was able to listen to 90s Country with fresh ears and I enjoy it quite a bit, a lot of the music that was popular when I was kid wasn’t that bad after all. I like some Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith Garth Brooks, George Strait, etc.. now, I enjoy the rowdier Honky Tonk type stuff more than the ballads and I am not a fan over sentimentality or dumb blind Patriotism. Give me a song with some nice guitar licks about drinking or fucking or getting your heart broken and I am all in.
I worked at a Waffle House during the summers when I went to college. The first three songs of this album were constantly being played on the jukebox.

If you get rid of Tropical Depression and If It’s Not One Thing (It’s You), this is a perfect country album.
I was only joking, didn’t mean to come off judgmental. The more music you enjoy, the better!

For me it’s easy. I grew up in a small Midwestern town and I fucking hated Country (and especially 90s Country) as I was “too cool” to enjoy it. As I’ve grown up I slowly started letting Country into my life. Cash, and Willie and “Alt. Country” of Old 97s and Whiskeytown and Early Wilco, etc… over time the circle of what I deemed as acceptable Country grew larger and larger until one day I was able to listen to 90s Country with fresh ears and I enjoyed it quite a bit, a lot of the music that was popular when I was kid wasn’t that bad after all. I like some Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith Garth Brooks, George Strait, etc.. now, I enjoy the rowdier Honky Tonk type stuff more than the ballads and I am not a fan over sentimentality or dumb blind Patriotism. Give me a song with some nice guitar licks about drinking or fucking or getting your heart broken and I am all in.
Damn, this sounds exactly like me...up until the "able to listen to 90's...and enjoyed it quite a bit" part. 🤣

Damn, this sounds exactly like me...up until the "able to listen to 90's...and enjoyed it quite a bit" part. 🤣
Yep. My wife keeps trying. She made me listen to a Toby Keith song about him spying on his ex after a divorce last week that was painful on the ears and she loves that Alan Jackson Chattahoochee song and plays it regularly (which isn't nearly as bad). I think she's like @TenderLovingKiller® and likes most of the 90s stuff other than the nationalistic swill that started to dominate in the 00s because she grew up with it, but it's still a tough sell for me because I've disliked it since I was a kid. I do admit I've come to enjoy a lot more Reba songs, Bobbie Gentry, and I've come to appreciate more Garth Brooks too because of my wife. She's also gotten me to expand a very little bit beyond Willie and Johnny, who I've always loved, to some Waylon and Merle. But alt-country is really the only genre in that realm that I really enjoy.

Yep. My wife keeps trying. She made me listen to a Toby Keith song about him spying on his ex after a divorce last week that was painful on the ears and she loves that Alan Jackson Chattahoochee song and plays it regularly (which isn't nearly as bad). I think she's like @TenderLovingKiller® and likes most of the 90s stuff other than the nationalistic swill that started to dominate in the 00s because she grew up with it, but it's still a tough sell for me because I've disliked it since I was a kid. I do admit I've come to enjoy a lot more Reba songs, Bobbie Gentry, and I've come to appreciate more Garth Brooks too because of my wife. She's also gotten me to expand a very little bit beyond Willie and Johnny, who I've always loved, to some Waylon and Merle. But alt-country is really the only genre in that realm that I really enjoy.

How can you have Bobbie Gentry and Garth Brooks in the same sentence :(

(Must admit my only experience of Garth Brooks was quite achy and very much broke my heart. Stopped me wanting to listen to country for at least a decade)

How can you have Bobbie Gentry and Garth Brooks in the same sentence :(

(Must admit my only experience of Garth Brooks was quite achy and very much broke my heart. Stopped me wanting to listen to country for at least a decade)

If you were thinking of Billy Ray Cyrus, then yes hard agree that it's terrible. But Garth Brooks is a great guitar player and The Thunder Rolls sounds so GD good on vinyl from that cheap boxset he put out that it's tough not to crank it.

Back