Vinyl Me Please Classics

Finally getting around to checking out the Don Blackman and I am ALL THE WAY IN on this one! Kind of ashamed of myself for being unfamiliar with it before now...
I control the office Sonos (quite literally had to change the password to stop other people getting in there) and Don Blackwell always goes down a treat when I play his album!

Finally getting around to checking out the Don Blackman and I am ALL THE WAY IN on this one! Kind of ashamed of myself for being unfamiliar with it before now...
I have a Rainbo pressing of it from years ago. It’s such a jam. Really excited for this one. Hope it sells well so they do more stuff like it

Still trying to figure out if I need this Oliver Nelson
It's a standard early 60s Prestige blowing session; sounds fantastic, but there are hundreds that are of similar musical quality. IMO it's not essential, unless you're a Nelson or Dolphy super-fan, but it's a great listen.

For me it wasn't enough to renew my sub, YMMV.

How is it? Been on the fence about picking it up. I haven’t found Nina to sound very enjoyable on my system for whatever reason.
It’s not perfect? I’ve got some noise in the dead wax, is silent when music plays - weird. It’s slightly warped. It’s not her best record and I’m currently listening on the senns so I’m not sure I can comment on the actual mastering as these things are pretty veiled. They are really not great for jazz/acoustic and slooow… so awful with anything fast or bassy. I’ll try to get them on the Elacs on Sunday and report back.

You are hitting at pretty much exactly why i am contemplating having two sets of speakers in the listening room one day. (As do the senns… like I know the Black Keys I just listened to will sound better on the B&Ws but I like to use the senns for records because I have an awful lot of digital already and don’t need to lose stuff if unnecessary. The senns are great for like old rock and roll/classic rock. They are first thing on the chopping block after I get speakers sorted). Some shit just sounds better with a completely different sound signature which is why I like the fairly neutral presentation of the NAD.

Edit: there was quite a bit of surface noise during the last track but probably not noticeable on a speaker listen.

It’s not perfect? I’ve got some noise in the dead wax, is silent when music plays - weird. It’s slightly warped. It’s not her best record and I’m currently listening on the senns so I’m not sure I can comment on the actual mastering as these things are pretty veiled. They are really not great for jazz/acoustic and slooow… so awful with anything fast or bassy. I’ll try to get them on the Elacs on Sunday and report back.

You are hitting at pretty much exactly why i am contemplating having two sets of speakers in the listening room one day. (As do the senns… like I know the Black Keys I just listened to will sound better on the B&Ws but I like to use the senns for records because I have an awful lot of digital already and don’t need to lose stuff if unnecessary. The senns are great for like old rock and roll/classic rock. They are first thing on the chopping block after I get speakers sorted). Some shit just sounds better with a completely different sound signature which is why I like the fairly neutral presentation of the NAD.

Edit: there was quite a bit of surface noise during the last track but probably not noticeable on a speaker listen.
I listened over speakers and thought it sounded pretty fantastic so YMMV

Back