Vinyl Me Please Classics

View attachment 169928
So, I’m calling shenanigans.

1. First of all that’s clearly Eddie Murphy prepping for a Pickett biofilm.
2. It sounds compressed. I have to turn it up, which is not helpful given how hot his vocals are.

Worst sounding classic since the one with white dude who thought eastern chords over straight jazz was interesting…
i gotta disagree here. i think it sounds great despite being a hot recording. the only annoying thing is the panning, but that's on the recording and i rarely listen to records on headphones so it isn't TOO bothersome.

Not bright. Harsh like someone kicked him in the throat, asked him to drink glass and then told him to scream. It was unpleasant but only his vocals and only cranked. With the volume down he was okay but the band was hard to hear. (Except for Allman)

I don’t think it is the mastering or the pressing necessarily either. I think the recording engineer and Pickett are at fault. Chances are the engineer said something and Pickett told him to fuck off.

Last edited:
I didn’t really notice the panning because I wasn’t in my chair. Panning will usually only bother me on a first close listen anyhow.

I came on here to say how much I'm enjoying the Wilson Pickett and didn't really expect to see the comments above about the sound quality.

@Lee Newman have you had the chance to listen since your previous spin? Same results?
I've given it a couple more spins. If I don't crank it, it is a lot more tolerable. I have yet to check out the digital. I'm thinking it may just be a personal preference thing. The vocals are for sure recorded hot and anything other than a chill volume seems to make it sound pretty awful to my ears.

VMP's version appears to be sold out, but Al Green's "Call Me" is up for preorder at Fat Possum and looks to be the same as the VMP (not sure on the pressing plant though).

Has anyone spun their Odetta yet? Some of the feedback here on how harsh the Wilson Pickett sounded gave me pause for thought… how’s this one going down?

Has anyone spun their Odetta yet? Some of the feedback here on how harsh the Wilson Pickett sounded gave me pause for thought… how’s this one going down?
Spun mine a couple of times now and I think it sounds great. I thought Wilson Pickett sounded good too, though.

Back