Vinyl Me Please Classics

Sorry, I find Delvon just as boring. No matter who it is, organ jazz just does not click with me. I just picture my great aunt playing from the Big Book of Hymns
I get it. For the most part not my favorite Jazz instrument. Jimmie Smith, Delvon and Charles Kynard are really the only ones that stand out for me.

I get it. For the most part not my favorite Jazz instrument. Jimmie Smith, Delvon and Charles Kynard are really the only ones that stand out for me.
Jimmy McGriff is solid too. My love for greasy organ jams is almost completely derived from my love for Hip-Hop in general and The Beastie Boys in particular.

Jimmy McGriff is solid too. My love for greasy organ jams is almost completely derived from my love for Hip-Hop in general and The Beastie Boys in particular.
Yeah, I would say stuff that got sampled by Beasties or Tribe definitely hits a little harder for me. I really dig that Jack McDuff record they did as a Classic release last year.

The one McGriff record I have (Soul Sugar) is kind of bland, what would you recommend?

John Medesk’s organ work is dope too.
Never really thought about Medeski as an organ play, seems like he is an all around keyboardist which is a whole different animal. I actually love the organ and can get down with a Hammon B3 in soul or Rock, but with Jazz too often, it comes off as carnival music.

Never really thought about Medeski as an organ play, seems like he is an all around keyboardist which is a whole different animal. I actually love the organ and can get down with a Hammon B3 in soul or Rock, but with Jazz too often, it comes off as carnival music.
Yeah, He plays everything. When We saw MMW back in high school he even came to the front of the stage playing a Melodica. He does hit that Hammond B3 Hard though.
Have you heard the Album Medeski did with Robert Randolph and The Dickinson brothers of instrumental Gospel music, The Word?

Yeah, He plays everything. When We saw MMW back in high school he even came to the front of the stage playing a Melodica. He does hit that Hammond B3 Hard though.
Have you heard the Album Medeski did with Robert Randolph and The Dickinson brothers of instrumental Gospel music, The Word?

No, but I will listen soon!

DB48AB37-B393-452E-BC01-7C0A9F24795F.jpeg
So, I’m calling shenanigans.

1. First of all that’s clearly Eddie Murphy prepping for a Pickett biofilm.
2. It sounds compressed. I have to turn it up, which is not helpful given how hot his vocals are.

Worst sounding classic since the one with white dude who thought eastern chords over straight jazz was interesting…

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. This thing is super crankable and the instruments really shine in the mastering. It's bright but not harsh and idk where you think it sounds compressed. Compared to what? the Streaming, the original pressing? I'm not hearing that. The only possible turnoff I can see is that it is a very hard-panned mix inherently, which bothers some people more than others.

I strongly disagree. This thing is super crankable and the instruments really shine in the mastering. It's bright but not harsh and idk where you think it sounds compressed. Compared to what? the Streaming, the original pressing? I'm not hearing that. The only possible turnoff I can see is that it is a very hard-panned mix inherently, which bothers some people more than others.
Sounds compressed like a record with too much music on the slab (which is insane given it’s length). It’s clearly 3 or 4 volume levels lower than any other classic I have. The Music does sound great once it’s cranked but then is vocals are super harsh.

I don't think the vocals are loud enough in the mix to be harsh/bright which is why it's such a crankkable record. It's a warm recording with a nice bright mastering IMO I'm not getting the harshness, and I have pretty bright Klipsch speakers.

Back