Vinyl Me Please Classics

I switched back to Bobo. Something clicked today for me. It's not transcendental music but it is a lot of fun. Also, I've found that original Verve's don't sound all that great (maybe that's just me) and a AAA/QRP disc is probably going to sound pretty good.

I can't disagree that what I've heard isn't earth-shattering, but at the same time this is the kind of thing that gets lots of play at home. I grabbed Soul Sugar a few months ago and it seems to always find its way to the table when we have friends over, this feels like it will have a similar fate...

I don't know what the AAA/QRP or whatever that people are talking about, but that seems to be the thing that makes some of these records sound better than some of the other VMP releases. Does anyone know if the new Sonny Rollins reissue they just announced falls into that category? Does anyone think that record will make it to the swaps?

I don't know what the AAA/QRP or whatever that people are talking about, but that seems to be the thing that makes some of these records sound better than some of the other VMP releases. Does anyone know if the new Sonny Rollins reissue they just announced falls into that category? Does anyone think that record will make it to the swaps?
AAA just means that the whole process of putting the music on the record is analog, as opposed to any digital steps. QRP is a pressing plant that has a good reputation of pressing records with less defects than some other plants.

I haven't seen any details on the mastering of those reissues, not sure.

Edit: I just checked and VMP's site doesn't say anything about the mastering that I could see. It says it is being pressed at RTI which is another plant with a good reputation. The last issue that Prestige did in 2017 does appear to be from the original tapes by Kevin Gray, so it could be possible that the VMP one is a repress, but it could also be a remaster, weird that they don't say.

Last edited:
AAA just means that the whole process of putting the music on the record is analog, as opposed to any digital steps. QRP is a pressing plant that has a good reputation of pressing records with less defects than some other plants.

I haven't seen any details on the mastering of those reissues, not sure.

Edit: I just checked and VMP's site doesn't say anything about the mastering that I could see. It says it is being pressed at RTI which is another plant with a good reputation. The last issue that Prestige did in 2017 does appear to be from the original tapes by Kevin Gray, so it could be possible that the VMP one is a repress, but it could also be a remaster, weird that they don't say.

if i remember correctly the whole verve set was confirmed as Colour variant represses using existing masters

So does that mean that they're not going to sound like the bomb?
If it is a repress of the 2017 Kevin Gray cut, I'd be surprised if it didn't sound excellent. It sounds like it might be AAA as well but I'm having trouble confirming it anywhere.

The listing isn't very detailed but that pressing appears to be available on Amazon for $24 (not colored obviously). There are like 4 different pressings available though, so make sure you choose the right one. Apparently the 2017 EU reissue on Prestige is not the same cut.

If it is a repress of the 2017 Kevin Gray cut, I'd be surprised if it didn't sound excellent. It sounds like it might be AAA as well but I'm having trouble confirming it anywhere.

The listing isn't very detailed but that pressing appears to be available on Amazon for $24 (not colored obviously). There are like 4 different pressings available though, so make sure you choose the right one. Apparently the 2017 EU reissue on Prestige is not the same cut.

This one seems to have good reviews as well and is a bit cheaper...

I recently completed my quest to acquire each of the Classics releases. I’m going back to the beginning and listening to each of them while reading the listening notes.

The listening notes for #2 (“It Serve You Right to Suffer” by John Lee Hooker) were written by one Andrew Winistorfer, and along with some typos and confusing punctuation choices [he forgets to hyphenate quite a lot (i.e. “career defining singles”)], I noticed he also threw in the word, “jazzbo.”

C79D5036-A8CE-4C9A-833B-2DD26E1CB34D.jpeg

I recently completed my quest to acquire each of the Classics releases. I’m going back to the beginning and listening to each of them while reading the listening notes.

The listening notes for #2 (“It Serve You Right to Suffer” by John Lee Hooker) were written by one Andrew Winistorfer, and along with some typos and confusing punctuation choices [he forgets to hyphenate quite a lot (i.e. “career defining singles”)], I noticed he also threw in the word, “jazzbo.”

View attachment 9513

I like Storf, but he's kind of a moron.

View attachment 9513

pagenew.jpg

I used to typeset for a living - I would have probably pulled back that -er to the previous line to avoid a weird break. The line is already set pretty loose. Pedantic, I realize. It's ingrained at this point! I spot typos and bad layout on a daily basis.

View attachment 9726

I used to typeset for a living - I would have probably pulled back that -er to the previous line to avoid a weird break. The line is already set pretty loose. Pedantic, I realize. It's ingrained at this point! I spot typos and bad layout on a daily basis.

haha, yeah the more I look at this, the weirder it gets

For RHH & Classics:

One of them features vocals from multiple people, the other features no vocals at all. One features a song about guns, the other does not. Both of them feature clouds and/or smoke on the cover.

per storf
Sweet! So an artistic silent R&HH album about soaring in the clouds, and a Jazz/Funk album about smoking pot and shooting people. Got it.

Back