Vinyl Me Please Classics

October is looking like garbage all around for me. Late 70s Philly soul is all so awful to me. November and December look strong though in country and classics. Not to mention December essentials. The summer quarter was so good though that they can afford to have a solid albeit inconsistent final quarter
What are the guesses now for the other tracks? Trying to decide what I’ll likely want to pick up or which track to switch to…I didn’t expect to go for the country track but it might be my best bet for some of these next two months for me

What are the guesses now for the other tracks? Trying to decide what I’ll likely want to pick up or which track to switch to…I didn’t expect to go for the country track but it might be my best bet for some of these next two months for me

sounds like Grizzly Bear, Usher, then either Meters or Funkadelic for Essentials

Sam Hunt, Gram Parsons, Buck Owens for Country

Three 6 Mafia, Clipse, and RZa for RHH (which is a real solid 3 months but I don’t listen to a lot of RHH)

If you want some good swaps, I couldn’t recommend the Albert King and Charlie Musselwhite albums highly enough. Great records, audiophile blues pressings.
I’ve got the Albert King pressing already and love it. I’m really hoping Withers gets brought back as a swap. I’ll have to check out Charlie! Thanks.

Roberta Flack- Chapter Two arranged by King Curtis. I’m sure had a hand in another blues album.

I think this is correct reasoning and good sleuthing, but wasn't the clue 71? I know Storf is known to mess up dates, but Wikipedia, Allmusic, and Discogs all have Chapter Two as coming out in 1970.

Thinking that it is Donny Hathaway takes us to Lena Horne's Nature's Baby (1971) as the jazz-soul vocal pick, but that creates a problem with the blues pick because the Freddie King album Donny participated in (My Feeling for the Blues) came out in 1970.

King Curtis produced the Freddie King albums in 69 and 70, and arranged Roberta Flack stuff in 1970, but I’m not sure he arranged Quiet Fire (her 1971 album). Seems like we’re on the right track, maybe Storf flubbed the dates again

King Curtis produced the Freddie King albums in 69 and 70, and arranged Roberta Flack stuff in 1970, but I’m not sure he arranged Quiet Fire (her 1971 album). Seems like we’re on the right track, maybe Storf flubbed the dates again
Oh man yeah you’re right! He very well could have screwed up the dates or else I’m way off and neither of those albums are right. Ha!

Oh man yeah you’re right! He very well could have screwed up the dates or else I’m way off and neither of those albums are right. Ha!

yeah, it could be he got the year wrong on a Freddie King or Roberta Flack album. This would leave the door open for Flack and Horne

Didn’t know about the Gram Parsons being a possibility for Country. There might be enough to keep me around for another 3mon cycle. Though the funk album will probably sound terrible, if its Meters or Funkadelic it would be worth the risk.

Didn’t know about the Gram Parsons being a possibility for Country. There might be enough to keep me around for another 3mon cycle. Though the funk album will probably sound terrible, if its Meters or Funkadelic it would be worth the risk.
I'm not really sure what I'll pick up next month now with the rumored titles....none of them really interest me and from what I've seen, swaps have been pretty boring lately. If it's Funkadelic in December (I have my doubts) then maybe I'll swap for credit and see if they can convert it to member credit to extend a month...

Just wanted to echo the sentiment about Lee Morgan - Take Twelve sounding damn good. Quiet, flat and mastered really well.

Wish I could extend that same Classics confidence when putting on my Will-Tang Essentials release on the platter.
It’s always the track to start with, start off with the good news. Ha!

Really hoping it's one of the Freddie albums.
I would say virtually a lock. I love Roberta Flack, and her catalog may not be fashionable today but it is very deserving of a top reissue.

But, it is not Roberta. Chapter Two contains only two tracks arranged by Hathaway and produced by Curtis. The rest - the bulk of the album - was arranged by Deodato.

But, it is not Roberta. Chapter Two contains only two tracks arranged by Hathaway and produced by Curtis. The rest - the bulk of the album - was arranged by Deodato.
dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

I would say virtually a lock. I love Roberta Flack, and her catalog may not be fashionable today but it is very deserving of a top reissue.

The clue says the arranger was “important” to another album. So if Hathaway or Curtis is the arranger on the Freddie King album, they were important to the 1971 vocal jazz album, not necessarily an arranger . Also don’t completely rule out storf getting the year wrong.

Back