Vinyl Me Please Classics

I can definitively say it was substantially more disappointing listening to it on spotify/itunes compared to listening to it on vinyl on my stereo system.
This I agree with! I also checked out the album and was a bit like “this is good, but it isn’t incredible”. And then when I played the pressing, it was so good! The guitar playing, drums, horns, the singing! It had so much swing and punch and an open soundstage! It’s actually such a great ROTM! One of the best sounding Classics ROTM pressings in my opinion!

This thread has been moving way too fast for me to keep up with. Last I read, y'all were talking about an Al Jarreau record being the next release. Is that still a solid guess? Honestly, an Al Jarreau release might be the worst one since Oriental Jazz.

Doubtful it’s Jarreau. Ray Charles and Monk are the top contenders right now although which albums who knows.

Doubtful it’s Jarreau. Ray Charles and Monk are the top contenders right now although which albums who knows.
I always feel like the clues are stretched and never really line-up with the chosen pick. For a while, Monk was seen as being an outsider (I guess he always was) and I suppose you could kind of say some of his albums were overlooked. However, 'famously overlooked' (i think that was the clue?) would suggest its an album which is now incredibly popular but was dismissed at the time. I can't really think of any Monk albums that would fit that description (although I really do hope it is him!)

I couldn’t agree more. I love this album. It’s really fun. I’m not an elvis fan at all, but a huge fan of this. It makes elvis more than listenable.

And to me nothing is more the epitome of a classic than one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time doing his own interpretations of tunes made famous by one of the most iconic artists to have ever died while on the toilet.

Case closed!

My 2 cents on the King record, using Elvis’ songs as a medium for King’s solos is inspired. Have enjoyed this as much as any other “classic” I’ve gotten from VMP. And my 6 and 9 year old who’ve not heard Elvis as far as I’m aware will request to listen to this regularly (along with Shabaka, Max Richter and the Spiderverse soundtrack 😄).

My 2 cents on the King record, using Elvis’ songs as a medium for King’s solos is inspired. Have enjoyed this as much as any other “classic” I’ve gotten from VMP. And my 6 and 9 year old who’ve not heard Elvis as far as I’m aware will request to listen to this regularly (along with Shabaka, Max Richter and the Spiderverse soundtrack 😄).
Omg, that’s so freaking adorable that your kids ask to listen to Albert King, Shabaka and Max Richter! soooooo so so so cute! 🧸🥰

Brilliant Corners is on two previous VMP best of lists.

Brilliant Corners is on two previous VMP best of lists.

Brilliant Corners would be a sick ROTM, I would probably pass on Spiritualized to grab that instead tbh *since I’ve committed to only getting one album a month max from VMP cause they’re shitty people to give money to*

Back