Vinyl Me Please Classics

FWIW, not sure if this has been surfaced but a remastered version of Magician is scheduled for May release via Octave. They are releasing remastered versions of 12 Garner albums, leading up to what would have been his 100th birthday in June. More info on the process:
The master tapes for all 12 albums were transferred and restored using Jamie Howarth’s Plangent Process playback system, which removes machine noise and unwanted fluctuations from the original analog recordings. “The experience of it is more like you’re listening to Garner through the monitors in a professional studio, rather than listening to him off the tape copy,” said Peter Lockhart, senior producer of the project and vice president of Octave Music.

FWIW, not sure if this has been surfaced but a remastered version of Magician is scheduled for May release via Octave. They are releasing remastered versions of 12 Garner albums, leading up to what would have been his 100th birthday in June. More info on the process:

Haven't most classics titles been exclusive so far?

The fact that VMP chose The Silvertones over Toots and the Maytals as their ROTM still just absolutely boggles my mind. Sweet & Dandy was the one to do and they whiffed.

I think some of the controversies surrounding VMP releases is that the guessing games always gets member's hopes up for an album that they want only to be disappointed when it's revealed. Case in point clues for RHH this month being a 90's unreleased classic only to end up being Salt & Pepa which will disappoint a lot of people.

I think some of the controversies surrounding VMP releases is that the guessing games always gets member's hopes up for an album that they want only to be disappointed when it's revealed. Case in point clues for RHH this month being a 90's unreleased classic only to end up being Salt & Pepa which will disappoint a lot of people.
But it's "more political than people remember!" :rolleyes:

Hmm...that either eliminates it or confirms it. I can imagine VMP getting their pick of these Garner titles to release as a promotion for the rest of the series, like w/ the Live Miles/Coltrane album.

And VMP loves anniversaries.

And the Plangent Process has a digital step in it, which would make it not AAA.

Last edited:
I think it rules it out. What is the selling point of VMP doing a black vinyl version of something that will be released esle where?

As far as I can tell, they are digital remasters available on CD, and none have been pressed to vinyl (yet). Not sure if that changes anything.

You mean like Energy Control Centre and Oriental Jazz?

But didn't VMP have something like a six-month window of exclusivity before those came out? The Garner VMP version would be simultaneous with the wider release which seems... odd.

Edit:

As far as I can tell, they are digital remasters available on CD, and none have been pressed to vinyl (yet). Not sure if that changes anything.

Oh well maybe that might be it: VMP is the only place you can get the vinyl version of the remaster if that series is digital-only.

Since we are all anxiously biting our fingernails in anticipation of the ROTM.. what songs should I check out from Garner's "The Magician"?

Back