Vinyl Me Please Classics

Yeah I'm referring to the inner paper sleeves in terms of ripping them off to avoid scratches, but I agree with that method for the sticky outers. Those things are just land mines...
I'm going to rip those paper inners from now on. The BN80s I've gotten all seem to have them and it's a pain to get them off (and I'm pretty sure I'm getting scratches :()

I'm shocked that folks think the plastic bag is part of the record and should be saved. I understand the nerotic nature of record collectors but that seems way far out. I throw that and the obi out immediately. I understand wanting to preserve things for possible resale but if I buyer was upset about not having the plastic bag or the obi then that's a buyer I don't want to deal with.

I'm shocked that folks think the plastic bag is part of the record and should be saved. I understand the nerotic nature of record collectors but that seems way far out. I throw that and the obi out immediately. I understand wanting to preserve things for possible resale but if I buyer was upset about not having the plastic bag or the obi then that's a buyer I don't want to deal with.
It is a collectibility thing at a certain point in collecting you are protecting value on an investment. It’s easier not to wax my car too but it’s worth it to prevent rusting.

100000% with you. I throw those out immediately as well. Not really interested in resale, and I want my records as presentable as possible. I hate the look that any plastic gives to the records.

It is a collectibility thing at a certain point in collecting you are protecting value on an investment. It’s easier not to wax my car too but it’s worth it to prevent rusting.
Is there any evidence to support the belief that keeping the crappy VMP sleeve is worth more to collectors than putting it in a good sleeve? I find that hard to believe. But hey, I've never waxed my car, or had rust problems, so 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Is there any evidence to support the belief that keeping the crappy VMP sleeve is worth more to collectors than putting it in a good sleeve? I find that hard to believe. But hey, I've never waxed my car, or had rust problems, so 🤷🏼‍♂️.

No. I sold like 6 copies of gorillaz and I kept all the stickers.

LOL! Right on! You live in South Carolina though right? I am originally from the Midwest, because of the road salt in the winter months we were lucky to make it 5 years without some form of rust. Living out in the Pac NW now is night & day there ar 25 year old vehicles on the road here still in perfect condition. It blew my mind.

as far as the sleeves I would assume the cost benefit is dependent on the number of copies floating around for sale online. If there are 25 copies of a record available I would assume it would be more desirable if it contained everything that it did when it was first purchased. At the very least if there were two for the exact same price and one had the ephemera that came with it new and one that was missing elements, the one that was more complete would have slightly more appeal. I don’t think it would make ya a wealthy man or anything but if you have a lot of VMP releases it might be somewhat beneficial.

LOL! Right on! You live in South Carolina though right? I am originally from the Midwest, because of the road salt in the winter months we were lucky to make it 5 years without some form of rust. Living out in the Pac NW now is night & day there ar 25 year old vehicles on the road here still in perfect condition. It blew my mind.

as far as the sleeves I would assume the cost benefit is dependent on the number of copies floating around for sale online. If there are 25 copies of a record available I would assume it would be more desirable if it contained everything that it did when it was first purchased. At the very least if there were two for the exact same price and one had the ephemera that came with it new and one that was missing elements, the one that was more complete would have slightly more appeal. I don’t think it would make ya a wealthy man or anything but if you have a lot of VMP releases it might be somewhat beneficial.
Ha, yeah, I know I'm generally lucky when it comes to rust, although I'm sure there are better places that don't have salty air and humidity to worry about. I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't wax your car, just giving an example of how our experiences are different, so what do I know.

I agree that it might make someone more likely to buy yours for the same price, but I think since most people don't care, it's really negligible unless you get lucky and get someone who does. If it's a desirable record, NM/NM will get you well above median in most cases, I think we're talking maybe an extra 1% or so if you're lucky with an added sticker. Posters and 7"s make a much bigger difference.

My main point is if someone is going through the hassle of saving crummy flimsy sealed outers just because they think it will increase their resale value, I hope they appreciate that it is a pretty insignificant amount that might be gained, if they are lucky. So, if doing that is keeping them from appreciating or playing those records they should throw them away.

I'm curious if you do this more for the aesthetics of it or the 'value' of it or a little bit of both? Personally, I have 0 issues with ringwear but I can understand why people do not.
I do it more for ease of access of the discs that anything, but I also think that protecting condition of physical media and packaging is just a smart thing to do. Why spend time putting discs into rice paper or poly-lined sleeves if you're not going to also care for jackets and inserts?

I've never understood this argument, wouldn't it still get ring wear as the discs are still pushing against the side of the sleeve, just from the other side?
The idea is that most jacket pockets, especially gatefolds, are too tight to hold the record. So over time the disc is bulging out from inside. When the record is behind, it should be so tight that it is creating indents in the jacket.

BUT RESALE! Which we all know is what happens when we realize it was the worst album by that artist or the least in need of a repress but you bought it anyway only to never play it because of that damn bag it comes in and that Obi strip wedge thing and the art print and recipe and lenticular variant cover and stickers, stickers!

Who will know i paid 29$ for this unless i keep the stickers!?!
I always cut around hype stickers that are attached to the sleeves. I pop it in a new polysleeve along with the record etc. With most of my older records (jazz) I put the jacket in a polysleeve then the record in the inner behind the jacket but in the same sleeve.

Exactly what I do. Sticky and jackets don't mix well.

I had that ethopian joint from VMP get a big tear on the cover for this exact reason. This was back in the great CS days and they offered to just send me another copy (I'd like to think they were being altruistic but realistically, they were probably just trying to get rid of them)

Back