Vinyl Me Please Classics

Like, they might have sent it to an old address or...? I'm just trying to wrap my head around them saying they shipped an order but not knowing what the address was that they shipped it to.
No. They literally don’t know where it is and didn’t elaborate about it being stuck at sorting facility or what address it was delivered to.

Yeah, anyone who thinks Sorcerer is as bad a pick as Mr. Hands can cash me outside. Sorcerer is a very good album by one of the best groups in jazz history, and one of Miles's most interesting and influential eras. It may not be a top 10 Miles album, or even an iconic Second Quintet record, but it is still great, while Mr Hands is an ok album in a moment in Herbie's career where things started going downhill.

Yeah, anyone who thinks Sorcerer is as bad a pick as Mr. Hands can cash me outside. Sorcerer is a very good album by one of the best groups in jazz history, and one of Miles's most interesting and influential eras. It may not be a top 10 Miles album, or even an iconic Second Quintet record, but it is still great, while Mr Hands is an ok album in a moment in Herbie's career where things started going downhill.

Sorcerer is superb. My problem with it is selfish - I already had a 90s reissue. VMP's pressing is an upgrade though.

I'm also ok with the Herbie pick. I'm all for variety and I don't mind that era in general.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said. I’ve spun my Sorcerer from VMP more than any other jazz record from them. And while it’s not in the top 10 Miles albums, because the dude was a musical mastermind, I want to make the claim that “Masqualero” is one of the best pieces of music that second great quintet ever played.

Mr. Hands is nowhere near Sorcerer’s level. Sorry, but not sorry.
That being said, I might get it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just listened to Mr. Hands and it looks like it'll be a game-time decision if I decide to add Classics/swap for it. Definitely wasn't awful, it's just okay and pleasant to my ears. It wasn't keeping me engaged the entire time, but it wasn't bad at any moment. Not too crazy about the essential's pick, so if I decide I don't want Mr. Hands I think that'll be the end of my VMP membership, at least for now

I swapped for Aretha, which I've been wanting for a while, with the hopes that BB King would be available to swap at some point when Classics wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't think it would happen in January but if I can I'll swap Mr. Hands for Lucille.

I swapped for Aretha, which I've been wanting for a while, with the hopes that BB King would be available to swap at some point when Classics wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't think it would happen in January but if I can I'll swap Mr. Hands for Lucille.

Pretty sure it's sold out unless they find more stock of it somewhere. AAA BB King wasn't gonna last long.

Should have done Sextant or Thrust. Oh well. If they really want to fuck with the program, do some of the Mwandishi records in the Kozmigrov orbit. Norman Connors...Eddie Henderson...bet the tapes are long gone for those.

Glad people have a chance to dig Sorcerer as well. Not my fave Second Quintet record but still one that is played often. Too bad they didn't do AAA even for an Essentials (duly noted upthread).

Last edited:
Sorcerer is superb. My problem with it is selfish - I already had a 90s reissue. VMP's pressing is an upgrade though.

I'm also ok with the Herbie pick. I'm all for variety and I don't mind that era in general.
you think it fits as a Classic though? It’s not a “Jazz“ collection. Or Essentials. I don’t consider it to fit classics at all.

you think it fits as a Classic though? It’s not a “Jazz“ collection. Or Essentials. I don’t consider it to fit classics at all.

The weird part for me about the Herbie, is that I feel like earlier this year before they nuked the forum they told us classics was pre-1980. Did I make that up? Did I subtract 10 years from what they originally said?

The weird part for me about the Herbie, is that I feel like earlier this year before they nuked the forum they told us classics was pre-1980. Did I make that up? Did I subtract 10 years from what they originally said?

I remember at one point (pretty sure prior to the death of the forums) Storf said they were going to have an exception and have an upcoming Classics from 1980. He's since gone back and upped it a couple more years, with I think the March 2020 Classics coming from 1983.

I remember at one point (pretty sure prior to the death of the forums) Storf said they were going to have an exception and have an upcoming Classics from 1980. He's since gone back and upped it a couple more years, with I think the March 2020 Classics coming from 1983.

That was all weird to me because when it launched I asked if they had a cutoff, and inquired if a specific Wynton Marsalis project could ever be considered. He answered affirmative and said there’s no rule for what year.

Of course I’m saying I’m confused by VMP saying different things, and at this point I should accept that as the norm.

That was all weird to me because when it launched I asked if they had a cutoff, and inquired if a specific Wynton Marsalis project could ever be considered. He answered affirmative and said there’s no rule for what year.

Of course I’m saying I’m confused by VMP saying different things, and at this point I should accept that as the norm.
Which Wynton? If they are stretching I would love the Wynton and Willie Nelson album. Even though it's newer it feels straight Classic to me.

Back