Vinyl Me Please Classics

Yes! I remember him saying that!!! I have a feeling Herbie Hancock will be one of the ‘big titles’ Storf is referring to. Hopefully the third Classics ROTM title is a Stevie Wonder or Donny Hathaway album! 🤞

Donny Hathaway would be great. Hard to find nice copies of his solo albums. I like Stevie too but his catalog can be had cheap except the early stuff. Although I wouldnt mind a well done AAA remaster!

My ideal would be 6 blues and 6 soul haha! But I think in fairness either 4 of each of the three or 3 of each of the three and 3 left over for the odd other (funk/salsa/gospel/etc) would be acceptable too.
Yes! This is exactly what I would want in the 12-months! 3 Jazz albums, 3 blues albums, 3 soul albums and then 1 salsa album (like Celia & Johnny), 1 gospel album (like Sister Rosetta Tharpe) and 1 funk album (like Lafayette Afro-Rock Band)!

I’m sooooooooooooo excited for the 2020 Classics ROTM titles!!! 😇😊🤗🌈🎺🎷🎻🥁

First Hint for January's RotMs is up:

2009, 1980, 2004

My (Shot in the Dark) guesses:

Essentials: Dan Deacon - Bromst (2009, We've gotten Electronic music albums, the past two Januarys, so this would follow that trend.)
Classics: George Benson - Give Me the Night (1980, Jazz / R&B Crossover)
R&HH: Mos Def - The New Danger (2004, New album coming from Black Star...)

Weren't we told that Jan was going to be BIG? I haven't seen anything that could be BIG. Also, wasn't there talk of Herbie Hancock? He released two albums in 1980 but I don't know if either is anything to be excited about.

Just some guesses for 1980, which will most likely fit VMP's Classics realm at the top of 2020:
Diana by Diana Ross (I spun my original 1980 copy a couple of weeks back and it sounded incredible. The way the low-end was mixed had my entire house shaking. Just straight-up classic funk and post-disco. The CHIC organization gave Diana a homerun and of course, the backstory behind the album is legendary. I would go head over heels if VMP and Quality Records put their spin on it, complete with that luscious gatefold which features that sexy colored photo of Diana. It'll be worth every penny.)
Posh by Patrice Rushen
Mr. Hands by Herbie Hancock
Monster by Herbie Hancock
Journey to the One by Pharoah Sanders
Irons in the Fire by Teena Marie
Triumph by The Jacksons (I know this may be a little far fetched, but we shall see since it celebrates its 40 anniversary in the upcoming new year.)
Give Me the Night by George Benson
Faces by Earth, Wind & Fire (far fetched)
Hotter Than July by Stevie (far fetched)
Naughty by Chaka Khan
Cameosis by Cameo
Zapp by Zapp

Just some guesses for 1980, which will most likely fit VMP's Classics realm at the top of 2020:
Diana by Diana Ross (I spun my original 1980 copy a couple of weeks back and it sounded incredible. The way the low-end was mixed had my entire house shaking. Just straight-up classic funk and post-disco. The CHIC organization gave Diana a homerun and of course, the backstory behind the album is legendary. I would go head over heels if VMP and Quality Records put their spin on it, complete with that luscious gatefold which features that sexy colored photo of Diana. It'll be worth every penny.)
Posh by Patrice Rushen
Mr. Hands by Herbie Hancock
Monster by Herbie Hancock
Journey to the One by Pharoah Sanders
Irons in the Fire by Teena Marie
Triumph by The Jacksons (I know this may be a little far fetched, but we shall see since it celebrates its 40 anniversary in the upcoming new year.)
Give Me the Night by George Benson
Faces by Earth, Wind & Fire (far fetched)
Hotter Than July by Stevie (far fetched)
Naughty by Chaka Khan
Cameosis by Cameo
Zapp by Zapp
I think there’s a very strong chance it will be Teena Marie’s Irons In The Fire, as Teena Marie’s studio album after - It Must Be Magic - was pressed for the VMP Motown Box! I would be really happy with some more Teena Marie! 🤗

But I’d want Diana Ross even more! I’d also want Chaka Khan’s Naughty more! 😈

George Benson would also be a nice pick. I think Give Me The Night is definitely one of George Benson’s strongest albums! It’s got such a nice mix of summer jams, barbecue party kinda music, lullabies, lavish lounge music etc 👌

I’d also be very happy with Patrice Rushen, but that just doesn’t seem like it would be picked at all. You know what I mean? Also, I would prefer her album “Pizzazz” to be picked as a Classic ROTM so much more because that album is outstanding! 💎

@brando_soul - No Chance it will be Cameo or Zapp because it’s just too modern. Like, never would you associate a funky, hypnotic, electronic robo-jam like “More Bounce to the Ounce” to be on a Classics ROTM!

Fingers crossed for Chaka Khan, Teena Marie or Diana Ross! 🤞🤞🤞

Back