Vinyl Me Please Classics

Has anyone listened to Sylvester yet? What do you guys think of it?

I went in blind on this one and have to admit that Disco isn't really my jam. It's OK, the pressing seems good to me but I'm not sold on the actual music yet. I do think I need to listen again (I was juggling tasks while it was on) and perhaps read the booklet. Its definitely not going to be in my top choices from the Classics run.

View attachment 129506
If you don't like it Selaws, send it here and I can take care of it...

Last edited:
I really like this Sylvester album. No love for it on here but I think it’s both a nice album to chill to or to have a bit of a boogie
I appreciate the album for what it is, it's just not my personal cup of tea. Still, I'm glad Classics gives albums and genres like this an occasional chance to shine.

Clues for the next 3 months:

Year of Release: 1971, 1956,1967
One of the titles is on a label we did an Anthology with, and another is on a label we did a store exclusive bundle with.

So something from Stax, Motown, "Philadelplhia" International, Tribe Records, or Blue Note? Has Storf finished his Stax collection yet? If so, we're probably looking at Motown or Tribe. Not expecting something from PI again so soon, and Blue Note has its own reissues going.

No idea what label they did a bundle with.

*EDIT - I forgot, they did bundles with Prestige and Bethlehem.

So something from Stax, Motown, "Philadelplhia" International, Tribe Records, or Blue Note? Has Storf finished his Stax collection yet? If so, we're probably looking at Motown or Tribe. Not expecting something from PI again so soon, and Blue Note has its own reissues going.

No idea what label they did a bundle with.

*EDIT - I forgot, they did bundles with Prestige and Bethlehem.

They've also done bundles with Black Lion Records and Black Jazz Records. And did they bundle the 4 Blue Note Exclusives? I bought them separately, but maybe towards the end there was a bundle?

They've also done bundles with Black Lion and Black Jazz. And did they bundle the 4 Blue Note Exclusives? I bought them separately, but maybe towards the end there was a bundle?
I wasn't around for the Blue Note exclusives so I'm not sure. But I'd be very surprised if we get another Blue Note record for Classics. I wouldn't be opposed to it though.

I'm guessing May is Duke Ellington's Historically Speaking done on Bethlehem Records, which VMP did an exclusive bundle for
I'm guessing June is one of these 3 Stax Records albums (which they did an anthology for):

Booker T. & The MG's Hip Hug-Her, Johnnie Taylor's Wanted: One Soul Singer, or Sam & Dave's Soul Men

but it could also be a 1971 stax album, or a 1967 or 1971 album from Vanguard, Motown, or Blue Note, so it's kinda wide open.

The Jazz Dispensary bundle wasn't only Prestige. It also had a Fantasy Records title in there, of course Fantasy and Prestige are both owned by Concord Music Group.

Here's some of the store bundles that I can remember that would fit into Classics (including some already mentioned). The starred ones are the ones that I know were released as a series but I cant quite remember if the bundle offer was a purchase option:

- *MPS Records (Freddie Hubbard, Bill Evans, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Henderson)
- Prestige/Fantasty (David Axelrod, Jack DeJohnette, Idris Muhammad, Leon Spencer JR, Bernard Purdie)
- Prestige (Etta Jones, Sonny Rollins, Eric Dolphy, Yusef Lateef)
- Bethlehem Records (Pepper Adams/Donald Byrd, Charlie Mingus, Dexter Gordon, Booker Ervin)
- *Blue Note (Donald Byrd, Johnny Griffin, Charlie Rouse, Eddie Gale) - Man, this was one hell of a set!!!
- *Black Jazz (Walter Bishop Jr., Kellee Patterson, Roland Hayes)
- *Freedom (The Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Cecil Taylor)
- Black Fire (Oneness Of Juju)

Back