Vinyl Me Please Classics

honestly i think all the "Gz bad only QRP or Pallas or high end pressing plant" thing has kinda drained me... so i kinda gave up on caring because every month there is the same anger about Gz despite the fact that i don't think its just Gz that's the issue (seeing as i listen to a lot of vinyl that has been pressed at Gz with no issues... issues are more overproduction and horrible storage and having to press way too many copies with not a lot of plates is my guess). i can totally see why a lot of people are angry... i just got nowhere else to go

and i am picking up sylvester
Every plant has issues lately. GZ just seems to have the most issues. There's a reason why most of the high quality reissue labels use QRP/RTI/Pallas.

From what I've seen, you can get different levels of QC done at GZ--it just affects the price that GZ charges. I wouldn't be shocked if QRP is either too booked up to deal with the volume that VMP wants (Acoustic Sounds is trying to keep up with demand on their own reissue series + the AP Prestige series), or if they wanted to raise the prices on VMP. VMP already raised their prices drastically once and they can't do it again so soon...so GZ with lower quality control it is!

Swapped Barbara Lea for Hub of Hubbard. The announcement blurb tried to draw parallels to Blossom Dearie, but I just didn't find it as instantly appealing as Blossom.

I don't think it's a bad pick at all, I'm just not too big on vocal jazz in general so for an album to draw me in, it has to really knock it out of the park. And Barbara Lea doesn't do that for me.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I wager, if they get this pressed cleanly this will be one of the records that the community will beg VMP to repress when it sells out. I remember a lot of lukewarm reception toward Blossom Dearie's announcement but once it sold out everyone was on reddit saying "wen Blossom repress?". This will be a grower for sure.

Records like this sing in a special way when they make it onto the turntable.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I wager, if they get this pressed cleanly this will be one of the records that the community will beg VMP to repress when it sells out. I remember a lot of lukewarm reception toward Blossom Dearie's announcement but once it sold out everyone was on reddit saying "wen Blossom repress?". This will be a grower for sure.

I feel like you're probably right, and the album IS great. For me it's just a matter of "how many similar sounding records do I need"? Peggy Lee (x2) and Blossom Dearie kind of fill this specific need in my collection already.

It's being pressed at QRP so should hopefully sound good! Feb ROTM Classic is at QRP too. They are switching plants starting in March with Lightnin. It also says they will be switching plants based on availability and mention GZ, RTI and "other plants"

I like the Claudia Thompson better than Barbara Lea as well.
I have that on the way as well.

Also, I have Abbey Lincoln (x2) and Sarah Vaughan fitting that style as well. That's about as much female vocal jazz I probably need.

EDIT: And as I have enough to do a power ranking

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee
Abbey Lincoln - Abbey is Blue
Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
Peggy Lee - World Broadcast Recordings
Abbey Lincoln - It's Magic

Not sure if Barbara Lea will ever fit into this rotation. Maybe above It's Magic. Claudia Thompson should nestle somewhere in top 3, maybe jump Abbey is Blue.

Last edited:
Every plant has issues lately. GZ just seems to have the most issues. There's a reason why most of the high quality reissue labels use QRP/RTI/Pallas.

From what I've seen, you can get different levels of QC done at GZ--it just affects the price that GZ charges. I wouldn't be shocked if QRP is either too booked up to deal with the volume that VMP wants (Acoustic Sounds is trying to keep up with demand on their own reissue series + the AP Prestige series), or if they wanted to raise the prices on VMP. VMP already raised their prices drastically once and they can't do it again so soon...so GZ with lower quality control it is!
Yeah but part of the reason for the higher prices was supposed to be qc issues. This is bullshit, through and through.

Yeah but part of the reason for the higher prices was supposed to be qc issues. This is bullshit, through and through.
I mean the QC thing wasn't ever really about QC in my opinion...they just wanted to milk more money out of their customers to make up for other financial mistakes they made and try to get the money to fund anthologies and the country track.

I bought Irma Thomas with store credit and will pretend that's my Classics album this month. I may swap for Lea next month, need to listen to it a few more times.
Was hoping that Irma would be in swaps as it’s showing as In Stock already, but no go.

I think part of it is bringing on and training new staff as well, particularly with the volumes GZ are doing.

Was able to swap for the Miles / Coltrane Paris album finally - not a fan of vocal jazz really. Seeing the pressing shift info, I'm out folks! Sub was gonna renew next month but I'm good for now I think.
I picked it up last month and can say that if sound quality is important to you you may want to rethink that. If the music is all that matters for ya then you don’t really need my advice :)

I am not anti-Gz, but I will miss the assurance QRP brings. Besides, I am getting quite comfortable with swapping for store credit, especially as I am now paying the full international subscription price.
I didn't used to be anti-GZ. They can press some things okay. I'm anti- paying $40+ for a 1LP pressed at GZ because the quality just is not there consistently. Especially in the past 2 years.

It's a headache, but on the bright side their CS is pretty good about refunding you or sending as many replacements as possible if you're not happy. I got the Stax box the other day, which is pressed at QRP, and I went through 3 copies of Soul Finger that had the exact same surface noise and warp before they just gave me $35 in store credit.

I have that on the way as well.

Also, I have Abbey Lincoln (x2) and Sarah Vaughan fitting that style as well. That's about as much female vocal jazz I probably need.

EDIT: And as I have enough to do a power ranking

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee
Abbey Lincoln - Abbey is Blue
Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
Peggy Lee - World Broadcast Recordings
Abbey Lincoln - It's Magic

Not sure if Barbara Lea will ever fit into this rotation. Maybe above It's Magic. Claudia Thompson should nestle somewhere in top 3, maybe jump Abbey is Blue.
It’s posts like this that help me discover amazing new music. If any of those albums are better than BD, then I’m in for a treat. :)

Back