Vinyl Me Please Classics

January Classics leaked, it's Barbara Lea - Lea in Love

Good thing it leaked too, because I don't think anyone had a chance in hell at guessing that lol

First time hearing this and I’m really enjoying it. I will happily welcome this into the collection!
I agree with @Ghost, sounds great and it's nice to have a Prestige title picked. Looks like the original is a pretty damn pricey as well.

I leaked the January titles on Reddit. Someone on there pointed out that that Barbara Lea album came out in 1957, not 1956 like the clue given. The more I think about it the more it makes me kinda angry. I don't think anyone had a chance guessing all 12 titles ANYWAY but still.

I leaked the January titles on Reddit. Someone on there pointed out that that Barbara Lea album came out in 1957, not 1956 like the clue given. The more I think about it the more it makes me kinda angry. I don't think anyone had a chance guessing all 12 titles ANYWAY but still.
That is very on brand for VMP.

That is very on brand for VMP.
my guess is because allmusic says its from 1957

Yes, but as someone pointed out on Reddit, anyone can edit Discogs release dates and make it whatever they want without a reference. It was probably an honest mistake, but VMP should've checked their sources.

Must admit I've not researched this thoroughly but I've seen it as 1956 in a couple of places, but never 1957. Where's the source from that it was released in 1957?

It's also 1956 on her wiki page btw.
Again, a place where anyone can write anything with little secondary input or reference on more obscure topics. Here's what the person on Reddit said, apologies for any formatting quirks:

Uhh, *Lea in Love* was released in 1957, so thanks for that [1956 clue](https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylMePlease/comments/rbvrzn/gmp_part_2/) ...

EDIT: Since I am being downvoted...

Recorded April 19, 24, 26, and May 1, 1957:

(Prestige Records Catalog: 7000 series)

()

Billboard, July 22, 1957, Reviews and Ratings of New Albums, page 48:

(https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard/50s/1957/Billboard 1957-07-22.pdf)

Almost of Storf's clues come from wikipedia and discogs. And almost all of everyone's google research comes from there too, so it's not a big deal that it is an open source that anyone can edit.

Almost of Storf's clues come from wikipedia and discogs. And almost all of everyone's google research comes from there too, so it's not a big deal that it is an open source that anyone can edit.
I feel like I'm being a broken record about the subject, but it actually IS a big deal when you start making it a contest with anything with monetary value attached. IDGAF since only the US can enter the contest anyway, but there really shouldn't be a debate on whether the clues are right or wrong, it should be pretty iron clad and stand up to any questioning.

I feel like I'm being a broken record about the subject, but it actually IS a big deal when you start making it a contest with anything with monetary value attached. IDGAF since only the US can enter the contest anyway, but there really shouldn't be a debate on whether the clues are right or wrong, it should be pretty iron clad and stand up to any questioning.

I just love that a company that does reissues has no clue what it is they are even reissuing.

a broken record or a record pressed at GZ? ;) I think this just cements in my head that VMP doesn't know what they're doing. Not that I needed any more evidence of that...

a broken record or a record pressed at GZ? ;) I think this just cements in my head that VMP doesn't know what they're doing. Not that I needed any more evidence of that...
Welp, I'm sure the same lawyer that they obviously paid to go over their terms and conditions can handle things when the contest they decided to wing it with has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Welp, I'm sure the same lawyer that they obviously paid to go over their terms and conditions can handle things when the contest they decided to wing it with has more holes in it than swiss cheese.
Here's the rules page for this sweepstakes.

There's nothing in there about how people figure out the ROTMs. Technically VMP doesn't need to give any clues away at all and just let people try and guess. They can remain as fast and loose with the clues as they want, as that's not technically part of the actual sweepstakes.

Kind of sucky but that's their legal loophole for when things like "Wikipedia says one thing but Discogs says something else" happen.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, I've just worked alongside a department in another business that does sweepstakes and gotten glimpses here and there about the legal ins and outs. ;)

I'm seeing more 1956 than 1957.

Yeah, had to take a break & have a look. This looks like a good resource.

To be honest, I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I'm interested in when the album was recorded. It feels like an honest mistake & the whole guessing competition is just a bit a fun. It's like a pub quiz the you get a few free beers if you win.

Back