Vinyl Me Please Classics

I do wish it was a disco album I didn't have so I could expand my collection of disco, but I am IN for chic! Such a great album and I definitely want a better copy of it

JAN- Julie London- Calendar Girls OR Sarah Vaughan - In the Land of Hi-Fi (listed as 56 on 'cogs)
FEB- C'est Chic
MAR - Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin' Strikes

I don't think January is Sarah Vaughan. Wikipedia lists it as her third album and released in 1955 (right album number, wrong year) while discogs has it as a 1956 release... and her 27th album (right year, just a wee bit off on the album numbering).

Although Chic is most likely the February pick, we cannot completely rule out Central Heating by Heatwave ("The Groove Line"). Cameo and Foxy are other funk/disco groups putting out their second in 1978.

I don't think January is Sarah Vaughan. Wikipedia lists it as her third album and released in 1955 (right album number, wrong year) while discogs has it as a 1956 release... and her 27th album (right year, just a wee bit off on the album numbering).

24 of those aren’t LPs, they’re singles

Helen Merrill’s third album was in 56 too, she was one of my guesses after the first clue but I kinda forgot about it

If it’s Chic though, from a historical standpoint it’s an important album. Giant Disco hit, established Nile Rogers as an important musical voice and, probably a big selling point for VMP; it’s hugely influential in the hip-hop community. “Le Freak” has been sampled like a billion times. It not a rare album or something that I would listen to very often but I can appreciate the selection.

I'm very team: No disco in classics. But I understand I may be in the minority
Nah, I honestly won't put on any disco tracks and I consider my tastes pretty diverse.
More than that, none of the guesses so far is really grabbing me and I usually grab 1 or 2 picks from Classics per quarter.

The only time I've come close to buying a disco album (other than below) was when I saw a couple of Donna Summers albums for cheap at the local antiques market and I had to stop myself to ask "When exactly am I playing this?".

Boney M though, Boney M is the exception as it was big around my house and family coming from a Caribbean background. The Christmas album and Nightflight to Venus get a lot of plays in my house.

Last edited:
Got the Roberta Flack record today. Very quiet, flat pressing, but there is some inner groove distortion on the end of side 1 for me. Good mastering, but not as jaw-dropping as some of the other Classics we've been getting (might be the recording quality, less bass/bottom end than normal for 1971 production)

If it’s Chic though, from a historical standpoint it’s an important album. Giant Disco hit, established Nile Rogers as an important musical voice and, probably a big selling point for VMP; it’s hugely influential in the hip-hop community. “Le Freak” has been sampled like a billion times. It not a rare album or something that I would listen to very often but I can appreciate the selection.
If it's Chic, I guarantee a mention of Daft Punk in all of the PR materials for the album.

It also had a halfspeed reissue in 2018, but that was in Europe so we know Storf doesn't count that as a recent reissue.

Back