Vinyl Me Please Classics

I haven't listened to Judgements but Take Twelve is absolutely fantastic.

What's great is that it's one of his lesser-known albums but still packs some heat.

On a selfish note, I have almost all of Lee Morgan's albums on vinyl, with the tricky to find ones ticked off, and the ones that I am missing are from his later period......including Take Twelve! I've been hoping for VMP to reissue one of his albums as a Classic so I'm over the moon with this.

I picked up take 12 a while ago, although I’m sure the VMP pressing will be better. I’m always happy for some Lee Morgan

Mwandishi. Please. Make it happen Storf.
I have mentioned this a few times over on the Anthology thread. In his Autobiography, Herbie talks about the greatest performance he has ever given being a live Mwandishi gig. At the time he used to have a portable tape recorder and would record whole gigs to then listen back to it. Supposedly the whole group were so impressed with the performance they gave that they would pass the tape around constantly until one day it went missing.

Anyway, when it came to the curation of the Anthology I was really surprised that Mwandishi wasn't included, as he places such a large emphasis on it in his book and it's obviously a killer album. It might be the case that they knew they would release the album as a Classics pick, which is why it wasn't included or mentioned. Fingers crossed anyway!

Seems like an exciting string of classics, never listened to Justments of Take Twelve. Gonna have a fun day of music!

I haven't listened to Judgements but Take Twelve is absolutely fantastic.

What's great is that it's one of his lesser-known albums but still packs some heat.

On a selfish note, I have almost all of Lee Morgan's albums on vinyl, with the tricky to find ones ticked off, and the ones that I am missing are from his later period......including Take Twelve! I've been hoping for VMP to reissue one of his albums as a Classic so I'm over the moon with this.

I think +Justments is a great album. Give it a listen, it's still Bill Withers, how can you go wrong!

I have mentioned this a few times over on the Anthology thread. In his Autobiography, Herbie talks about the greatest performance he has ever given being a live Mwandishi gig. At the time he used to have a portable tape recorder and would record whole gigs to then listen back to it. Supposedly the whole group were so impressed with the performance they gave that they would pass the tape around constantly until one day it went missing.

Anyway, when it came to the curation of the Anthology I was really surprised that Mwandishi wasn't included, as he places such a large emphasis on it in his book and it's obviously a killer album. It might be the case that they knew they would release the album as a Classics pick, which is why it wasn't included or mentioned. Fingers crossed anyway!
They haven't done a Herbie Essentials yet, so I could see Mwandishi being the frontrunner on that track.

Something like Fat Albert Rotunda or Sextant might be a good second Classics release.

Seems like an exciting string of classics, never listened to Justments of Take Twelve. Gonna have a fun day of music!
I am absolutely positive you will love both, especially +justments !!! You are going to absolutely adore how charming, mature, discerning, wise and pretty the album is!!! 💭

I am overfilled with joy that +justments is the August Classics ROTM! 🥰

Oh my goodness, I’m still so happy with +justments being the Classics pick! Im so attracted to that album and everything about it that it’s a bit life-changing for me to be receiving it in high audiophile treatment! 😅🌈

I am absolutely positive you will love both, especially +justments !!! You are going to absolutely adore how charming, mature, discerning, wise and pretty the album is!!! 💭

I am overfilled with joy that +justments is the August Classics ROTM! 🥰
Have it queued up to listen to later today! Excited for the first impression, will lyk my thoughts

pretty sure none of the HH stuff on Warners is in that anthology...they must have not been able to license it - which makes the 'anthology' terminology possibly incorrect, since its a very key piece of the overall, although a short, shining period

Oh man, just listening to this Dorothy Ashby and it's great! Loving this album, I'm sure my GF will love it too once she comes back from her season in Alaska.

On to side B!
I can’t wait to fall in love with this Dorothy Ashby record! I know it’ll be a game-changer on the turntable! I should be receiving it next Tuesday - Thursday! 😇

musically, super cool...tons of breaks and other cool sounds, but this is very typical of Cadet records...they just don't sound great.

VMP gets credit here and I'm sure Ryan did his best, but this just is not a great record SQ wise.

musically, super cool...tons of breaks and other cool sounds, but this is very typical of Cadet records...they just don't sound great.

VMP gets credit here and I'm sure Ryan did his best, but this just is not a great record SQ wise.
Which Classics ROTM are you referring to?

Back