Vinyl Me Please Classics

Kinda interesting mix on the Ashby album. Bass sounds very muffled and kinda quiet . Drums too a bit. I dig the tunes but I’m not crazy about the sound . It’s the recording not the pressing/mastering
Yeah there are a few tracks that really clip and overall it’s not the best sound quality. The recording for sure. Such a killer album though and nice a nice press.

Without digging very deep at all there are a lot of 1974 soul albums with 10 tracks:

• Bobby Womack - Lookin' For A Love Again
  • Bobby Bland - Dreamer
  • Eddie Kendricks - Boogie Down
  • Ann Peebles - Couldn't Stand the Rain (has had a lot of reissues, just not AAA)
  • Bill Withers - +Justments (I dont think it will be this, it's not that great of an album, and they did his best album recently as an exclusive instead)
  • Donna Summer - Lady of the Night (not soul music, don't think it's this)
  • Labelle - Nightbirds (also more funk than soul, dont' think this is it either)
  • Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale (it's not this, dream on)
I think those top 3 or 4 fit the best so far. But it could be something that slipped between the cracks.

Same with 66 Jazz albums, lots with 6 tracks. Seems to be mostly Blue Note though, which I think is a label that would withhold some of their better titles since they are doing such an expansive AAA reissue campaign with all their big name classic titles (BN Classic Series) plus their lesser known gems (Tone Poet Series).

Larry Young - Unity (for sure will be a BN Classic probably next year)
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil (already in print as a AAA BN Classic)
Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe (for sure will be a BN Classic soon)
Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues (great album, this one could be a VMP title I think)
Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple (this one too)

Same with 66 Jazz albums, lots with 6 tracks. Seems to be mostly Blue Note though, which I think is a label that would withhold some of their better titles since they are doing such an expansive AAA reissue campaign with all their big name classic titles (BN Classic Series) plus their lesser known gems (Tone Poet Series).

Larry Young - Unity (for sure will be a BN Classic probably next year)
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil (already in print as a AAA BN Classic)
Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe (for sure will be a BN Classic soon)
Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues (great album, this one could be a VMP title I think)
Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple (this one too)
If we get any one of those, we’re in damn good shape for that month.

I meant in comparison to still bill , just as I am and his Carnegie hall album. Would be a very strange pick, especially since they just did the superior Just As I Am as an exclusive
Haha, I get it. From that list though, it’d be my second preference to Ann Peebles. I have the MOV pressing which is fine, and original/vintage pressings aren’t too difficult or expensive to find in great condition.

it really is a pretty stellar album, though it doesn’t have the prestige of his better known ones.

Haha, I get it. From that list though, it’d be my second preference to Ann Peebles. I have the MOV pressing which is fine, and original/vintage pressings aren’t too difficult or expensive to find in great condition.

it really is a pretty stellar album, though it doesn’t have the prestige of his better known ones.
I have the Music On Vinyl pressing for +justments as well which is pretty good but nothing special! I would love for the album to get the AAA, Ryan Smith remaster, pressed at QRP treatment! I love +justments so much, it’s a very pretty, picturesque, warm, languid album that is poetic and wise! I love the heavy use of strings on the album and I think the production is subtle and exquisite! I love how few of the tracks have a classical, sunny day tone to them! It compliments Bill Wither’s poetic and mature singing! 📚💭

I love +justments so much and really hope it’s the Classics ROTM because I’d love an audiophile pressing of it! It’s an album I love dearly! ♥️

Without digging very deep at all there are a lot of 1974 soul albums with 10 tracks:

• Bobby Womack - Lookin' For A Love Again
  • Bobby Bland - Dreamer
  • Eddie Kendricks - Boogie Down
  • Ann Peebles - Couldn't Stand the Rain (has had a lot of reissues, just not AAA)
  • Bill Withers - +Justments (I dont think it will be this, it's not that great of an album, and they did his best album recently as an exclusive instead)
  • Donna Summer - Lady of the Night (not soul music, don't think it's this)
  • Labelle - Nightbirds (also more funk than soul, dont' think this is it either)
  • Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale (it's not this, dream on)
I think those top 3 or 4 fit the best so far. But it could be something that slipped between the cracks.
Isn’t the Ann Peebles Pure Pleasure pressing AAA? Or not confirmed?

Isn’t the Ann Peebles Pure Pleasure pressing AAA? Or not confirmed?

I don't think they care if Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure, or non-US labels put out AAA reissues. It hasn't stopped them in the past. Al Green's Call Me for instance, I'm sure there are others too.

I don't think they care if Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure, or non-US labels put out AAA reissues. It hasn't stopped them in the past. Al Green's Call Me for instance, I'm sure there are others too.
Gotcha. I was just confused when you said there hasn’t been an AAA reissue of it. It is annoying that VMP completely disregards any non-US pressings. That Peebles Pure Pleasure sounds awesome too. Can be found for under $30 and I think KG cut it.

Yeah it's pretty lame that they act like people in America can't buy PPR and SC pressings. They did this recently with Donny Hathaway as well, though at least they put out a different, mono version of that instead of the stereo which was a win. They are pretty good about not putting out redundant releases in the Classics track normally though. Essentials is another story. the John Prine AAA reissue months after the Kevin Gray AAA reissue came out was idiotic.

Yeah it's pretty lame that they act like people in America can't buy PPR and SC pressings. They did this recently with Donny Hathaway as well, though at least they put out a different, mono version of that instead of the stereo which was a win. They are pretty good about not putting out redundant releases in the Classics track normally though. Essentials is another story. the John Prine AAA reissue months after the Kevin Gray AAA reissue came out was idiotic.
Yea. If you order through JPC, those SC or PP pressings are very affordable. I think they come out to under $30 each with shipping if you buy a few. Hard for me to justify the VMP prices even though I really like the classics pressings.

Out of interest has anyone NOT had Dorothy Ashby yet?

My box arrived today with 3 exclusives that I have been waiting on (Pharoah Sanders & Floating Points, Sons Of Kemet, Immanuel Wilkins) but no Ashby. I checked my emails and no shipping info yet....even though we are at the end of the month and I have seen lots of people online receive their online.

Out of interest has anyone NOT had Dorothy Ashby yet?

My box arrived today with 3 exclusives that I have been waiting on (Pharoah Sanders & Floating Points, Sons Of Kemet, Immanuel Wilkins) but no Ashby. I checked my emails and no shipping info yet....even though we are at the end of the month and I have seen lots of people online receive their online.
You may want to hit them up, I think their original delay email said it would be out be the end of last week (which is when mine got shipped). They might still be a few days behind but it couldn't hurt to ask and find out.

Back