Vinyl Me Please Classics

I guessed it I while back on another month, but not sure if that counts. It's one of my want albums.
I think we've guessed Magic Sam every month there's been a Blues album since back on the old forum. He might just have mixed up when he saw it guessed. It would explain the weird phrasing on the "credited to a band" clue. And as @jfitzy said, if we get Magic Sam > King Curtis that a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Not sure on the female Soul-Jazz though. Especially that Storf thought we'd get that first.

Shirley Scott would be my first choice, and I've told Storf we should have Shirley Scott in Classics before. But either Storf misspoke on the parent label thing (possible), or the dates are wrong (unlikely).
Minnie Riperton and Roberta Flack would both be great, but neither is what comes to mind when I think of "Soul-Jazz".
Dorothy Ashby would be interesting. I've never heard that album before 20 minutes ago. So hurray for the guess thread making me listen to new things.
Irene Reid likely fits the clues best. Anyone know who played on that album? I know Charles Earland played organ on quite a few of her records, but I can't find credits for The World Needs online...

I think we've guessed Magic Sam every month there's been a Blues album since back on the old forum. He might just have mixed up when he saw it guessed. It would explain the weird phrasing on the "credited to a band" clue. And as @jfitzy said, if we get Magic Sam > King Curtis that a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Not sure on the female Soul-Jazz though. Especially that Storf thought we'd get that first.

Shirley Scott would be my first choice, and I've told Storf we should have Shirley Scott in Classics before. But either Storf misspoke on the parent label thing (possible), or the dates are wrong (unlikely).
Minnie Riperton and Roberta Flack would both be great, but neither is what comes to mind when I think of "Soul-Jazz".
Dorothy Ashby would be interesting. I've never heard that album before 20 minutes ago. So hurray for the guess thread making me listen to new things.
Irene Reid likely fits the clues best. Anyone know who played on that album? I know Charles Earland played organ on quite a few of her records, but I can't find credits for The World Needs online...
Dorothy Ashby came out in 1970 though, I thought the soul-jazz album came out in 1971? Or am I getting things mixed up?

Dorothy Ashby came out in 1970 though, I thought the soul-jazz album came out in 1971? Or am I getting things mixed up?
Oh sheesh looked back and yes the jazz album is from 1970. I’ve been wanting a reissue of that for ages and not sure why it hasn’t happened besides a Scorpio reissue that has terrible reviews. It’s kind of “out there” and definitely not what I think of as soul jazz, Afro Harping comes closer to that. I wonder if there are tapes for it though? Is it confirmed AAA for these releases?

More possibles for June (soul jazz):

Dorothy Ashby - The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby
Irene Reid - The World Needs What I Need
The Dorothy Ashby would be a great pick imo. Her albums are quite sought after in the jazz vinyl circles and they always get lots of conversation going when posted on Instagram and the like. At the same time, she is relatively unknown compared with the likes of Shirley Scott, so it would be great to get more people to enjoy her music.

The Dorothy Ashby would be a great pick imo. Her albums are quite sought after in the jazz vinyl circles and they always get lots of conversation going when posted on Instagram and the like. At the same time, she is relatively unknown compared with the likes of Shirley Scott, so it would be great to get more people to enjoy her music.
The Dorothy Ashby would be amazing. It would be great to get a nice quality reissue of that!

Back