Vinyl Me Please Classics

Sooo good. Those Thomas Meloncon tracks have so much replay value.
...What exactly was his relation to this release again? Just a friend of the band or something?
I believe he was actually the artist who did the cover but let me check on that one...

Nope, I remembered that wrong. Thomas Meloncon was an activist and poet and friend of the band. The artwork was done by Anthony X Haynes although I can find almost no proof of that beyond a Discogs listing so I'm not even sure about that...

Last edited:
So uh, possibly dumb question: I got my Lightmen today and is the inside of the gatefold supposed to be completely blank?

I remember in the old forum we had this discussion. The rumors were that they messed up the sleeves of Snoop and Lightmen up and never bothered to fix that, they just rolled with it
Again, just rumors but it was pretty weird they just printed it black.

Why even do a gatefold then? 🤔
I mean a blank gatefold is a bit silly, but it is much better than two LPs stuffed in a single sleeve. Along with the bonus tracks, this is one of the few releases I think it is hard to criticize VMP for.

I believe the gatefold is because the jacket is tip-on. I don't think you can easily make a single tip-on pocket that fits 2 records.

I remember in the old forum we had this discussion. The rumors were that they messed up the sleeves of Snoop and Lightmen up and never bothered to fix that, they just rolled with it

I remember that rumor. They denied it, but who knows. You'd imagine they would have found something to print on the inner fold. Something they could have done with more time...

Kind of related but Nothing to with vmp. I bought the new hot chip record directly from Domino, which came signed, on coloured vinyl and with a "Special black and white artwork"
This is the artwork:
R-13786957-1561836300-5449.jpeg.jpg

The records came in a getefold sleeve with the inners and back side just plain white and the special artwork if you look Closer at it basically the front, song lyrics from the inner gatefold and song titles and stuff from the back cover all printed on top of each other.
I thought this might be a misprint and contacted Domino Records and they got back to may stating that it is indeed not a misprint but the Concept of the art.

Kind of related but Nothing to with vmp. I bought the new hot chip record directly from Domino, which came signed, on coloured vinyl and with a "Special black and white artwork"
This is the artwork:

The records came in a getefold sleeve with the inners and back side just plain white and the special artwork if you look Closer at it basically the front, song lyrics from the inner gatefold and song titles and stuff from the back cover all printed on top of each other.
I thought this might be a misprint and contacted Domino Records and they got back to may stating that it is indeed not a misprint but the Concept of the art.

I bought from Bleep, it's the same all white inside the gatefold. The labels are completely white as well and with the crystal clear records, it makes for an interesting time to figure which is side A!

This is the artwork:

Haha, I can't tell if it is tongue in cheek or not. Papyrus makes me think it is... :unsure:

Hmm I guess not quite Papyrus, but those Ls made me think it was.

Edit:I think the idea that all the print migrated there is neat on paper but it looks like a silly high school graphic design project in execution.

I believe he was actually the artist who did the cover but let me check on that one...

Nope, I remembered that wrong. Thomas Meloncon was an activist and poet and friend of the band. The artwork was done by Anthony X Haynes although I can find almost no proof of that beyond a Discogs listing so I'm not even sure about that...

Seems a bit random and a stretch to include on this release, but boy am i glad they did anyway. He must have been a good friend. I wonder if they would often play shows together, or if his inclusion was requested by the band.

Haha, I can't tell if it is tongue in cheek or not. Papyrus makes me think it is... :unsure:

Hmm I guess not quite Papyrus, but those Ls made me think it was.

Edit:I think the idea that all the print migrated there is neat on paper but it looks like a silly high school graphic design project in execution.
Seems a bit random and a stretch to include on this release, but boy am i glad they did anyway. He must have been a good friend. I wonder if they would often play shows together, or if his inclusion was requested by the band.

i just don´t get it as well, because it basically just erases the funtion of the printed words. you can hardly decipher the song titles let alone the lyrics. But Maybe sometimes good art has to bug you.

Or they are just a step ahead of VMP in the covering up of fuck-ups game.

Anyone disappointed with the image quality on the Willie Bobo jacket? It’s really blurry. Looks like a low-res scan just blown up.

While they've really fucked up some covers in the past, looking at the Discogs listings, I think that's just how the image is. Kinda blurry/soft. The rest of the jacket is nice and crisp so I don't know.

I'm not super into the record overall either way. It's fine, a little plain. I probably won't listen to it much and I'm on a huge jazz kick right now...

While they've really fucked up some covers in the past, looking at the Discogs listings, I think that's just how the image is. Kinda blurry/soft. The rest of the jacket is nice and crisp so I don't know.

I'm not super into the record overall either way. It's fine, a little plain. I probably won't listen to it much and I'm on a huge jazz kick right now...
It’s a record I can throw on around people that can’t stand had bop or the more adventurous jazz I really dig. For that, I’m appreciating it a little more every spin.

But that being said it’s an easily digestible album.
It’s fine.

Can confirm. I just was a copy at my local shops definitely soft focus image from a distance it almost looks like a painting. I haven’t received my VMP so I couldn’t say that they didn’t blow up the image that was already low resolution and made it worse (I wouldn’t put it past them).

Back