Vinyl Me Please Classics

I was being presumptuous due to the bargain basement nature of the suggestion and VMP's recent history. I think EWF and Black Fire are the only suggestions I've seen that seem to fit the clues we've seen.
It’s funny to go back and look at the guesses hah. A lot of us thought last month was Dylan and it ended up being John Mayer 😂😂

If VMP kept the limited spots for RHH and Classics and never repressed- the spots would be bought out and turtled by flippers with multiple alts and everyone would be relentlessly wailing about how it was impossible to get them on release. It would basically become the sneaker world.

No thanks, I hate it for everyone that's mad that other people get records
The whole thing is weird to me...Storf in particular, as others have said, said multiple times that if you want Classics you need to sign up because nothing will ever be repressed. IIRC, he even made a thread about it or at least a post on reddit saying their policy was going to be to not repress any ROTMs.

I’m happy if they repress John Lee Hooker as I didn’t get that one. It’s just shitty that the company mouthpiece went around saying if you miss an album “too bad” because it won’t be back, and then they go ahead and repress it.

Somehow they manage to keep making being a member less and less valuable. It’s a member subscription club. You pay to have access to their albums they press that they say are limited. What’s the point of it all if they repress things and let non-members buy them?

I am all for things not being super limited. If you want limited, do a limited color variant or something and then make a wide release on black. Best of both worlds. But don’t be a dick to people and act all high and mighty when something sells out and say “I told you to sign up because it’s limited” and then turn around and do a repress that’s the same exact thing...

Storf also is not the owner and proprietor of Vinyl Me, Please
sadly he is the community face (if only they had a better community face)

so hearing from him that things wont be repressed then repressing them once the fomo is high enough is irritable

I completely can understand that many feel deceived and disappointed by VMP once having said that they don't do represses of Classics, and by later doing them. If I would've bought any VMP records on the secondary market for a lot of money I would feel the same way too.

In my opinon it's great that many more people get access to great represses of former VMP releases. I'm really happy they can have them for a decent price. 🙂 For me rarity of a record in itself is never a reason for buying a record. I actually dislike the artificial limiting which often is done to increase the price on records. I just want to listen to great music on great quality. Either I really enjoy an album when streaming it (or knowing it already) and want to have it in a good or better sound quality than before or maybe in a nice looking color that could add to the magnificance of the complete album.But I wouldn't buy something just because it could get more expensive in the future.

Seeing these represses, it means for me to never buy a record released by VMP on the secondary market. I assume that most of their records could see represses if they are able to and there is a high enough demand for it. I actually even think that many store exclusives could get represses as various recent titles on the store also have the "Waitlist me please" sign, for instance Perfume Genius or Skull Sessions. Of course it could be those just refer to them giving out their left stock for replacements, but I also wouldn't be very surpised if we would see represses of store exclusives.

I am all for things not being super limited. If you want limited, do a limited color variant or something and then make a wide release on black.
I really like this idea. It still gives the original that 'limited' feel while making the music available for all. I know Run Out Groove has a motto of "get 'em before they're gone!" and to my knowledge, that's still the case. Anyone else know of a company that puts their lacquer where their mouth is?

I really like this idea. It still gives the original that 'limited' feel while making the music available for all. I know Run Out Groove has a motto of "get 'em before they're gone!" and to my knowledge, that's still the case. Anyone else know of a company that puts their lacquer where their mouth is?
If you mean who actually sticks to their pressing numbers, MoFi pretty much sticks to the limited amounts. When they do repress (i.e. Grateful Dead albums) it's usually 45 vs 33. A bunch of other companies, if they repress, will have a diff color variant or a plain black variant like what the Black Jazz reissues will be.

I think the flipper market would be greatly cut down if everyone pressed a large number of black and then limited color. The issue is that some of these small labels only survive because they only press a small amount and they sell out quickly. Not everyone can keep things in stock or repress. And whether we like it or not, the whole FOMO/limited/false scarcity thing is keeping a lot of labels in business.

who actually sticks to their pressing numbers
Yep, exactly what I meant. And for all the dogging we do on MM, their prices are far below what you'll pay for flipper prices. I personally have no issue with their prices as I've never seen one above $100, but that's not unusual for a flip. I've got a few left on my hit list and would gladly pay $100 for a copy. Speaking of...

If anyone has a MM pressing of the below, I can send a Ben Franklin your way. Or trade of course. I've got some other MMs I'm going to be posting (Speak No Evil, Blue Train - no not the SRXs), and a few APs (Midnight Blue and Ike Quebec's Blue & Sentimental). Full list of my LPs for sale HERE and I can do 10% off for anyone who wants to PM me. Might as well give that money to you instead of Discogs. Bonus - no tax! Shhh.

Lee Morgan - Leeway or The Gigolo
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones
Blakey - Indestructible

Yep, exactly what I meant. And for all the dogging we do on MM, their prices are far below what you'll pay for flipper prices. I personally have no issue with their prices as I've never seen one above $100, but that's not unusual for a flip. I've got a few left on my hit list and would gladly pay $100 for a copy. Speaking of...

If anyone has a MM pressing of the below, I can send a Ben Franklin your way. Or trade of course. I've got some other MMs I'm going to be posting (Speak No Evil, Blue Train - no not the SRXs), and a few APs (Midnight Blue and Ike Quebec's Blue & Sentimental). Full list of my LPs for sale HERE and I can do 10% off for anyone who wants to PM me. Might as well give that money to you instead of Discogs. Bonus - no tax! Shhh.

Blakey - Indestructible
Some of these were still in stock recently from MM. The 45RPM of Indestructible was in stock as recent as last week. I think Leeway might have been too? I was really surprised how many 45s were still in stock on their site.

Somebody on the facebook MM group posted that they bought the Speak No Evil SRX for $300 or something on ebay the other day. Crazy!

Some of these were still in stock recently from MM
Yea, saw your message too late. Gone now. I've got to visit here more frequently. I did see some of those recent SRX copies for insane prices, but it's supply and demand, right?

Interesting aside - I bought a Hank Mobley MM LP on Discogs recently and commented about how I was trying to complete my collection. The guy commented "I know that disease", not only did this seem in poor taste, but I think of it much differently. It's a hunt for me. And a hobby above all. I could get great audio from a HD stream on Amazon, Tidal or even a CD copy with bonus tracks and outtakes, but it's the journey, not the destination that makes it worthy. I really feel that summarizes most of us. If I were daddy Warbucks I'd just buy "the best" of everything and it wouldn't mean as much. But the search and find is so rewarding sometimes. Ridiculous in a way. But some people collect potato chips. So...

Blakey - Indestructible
The MM is really worth that much more to you than the BN80 cut by the same person?

Back