Vinyl Me Please Classics

I could see Storf calling Clapton's S/T album an electric blues, but I really don't think that VMP would put that album in the Classics track at all. It would be Essentials all the way.
I would point you to Patricia Rushing. I'm not sure it's Clapton, but I totally would classify that album as "electric blues" you can throw rock in there I agree, but there is not a huge leap as the main guy is playing blues licks the entire album. Those lines are muddy for me to in this era anyways.

I would point you to Patricia Rushing. I'm not sure it's Clapton, but I totally would classify that album as "electric blues" you can throw rock in there I agree, but there is not a huge leap as the main guy is playing blues licks the entire album. Those lines are muddy for me to in this era anyways.

Like I said, I can see Storf calling that album "electric blues" even though it's not, but I strongly disagree with the notion that that album would be released under Classics. Patrice Rushen at least was R&B. She fit genre-wise even though it was an 80s release and Classics are typically older. A mainstream classic rock/blues-rock Eric Clapton album they would release as Essentials 10 times out time.

So I've been streaming Eric Clapton's self titled album. It's certainly a good album, but for me personally the Albert King one sounds more exciting. I also would rather expect them to drop Clapton as an Essential if they plan to do that record. Maybe it's also something completely different for Classics this month?

Also, nevermind that the only clue that Clapton S/T fits is the 1970 year clue.
It fits the 10: 4, 21 clue in the same way that Nicki Minaj does. I don't think it is either, but it's not just a stab in the dark

Yep, Nicki and Clapton both fit all the clues. (assuming the numbers are "Number of album released: CD pressings, Vinyl pressings")

I don't think it's them and it's a stretch. But clue wise, not as much of a stretch as "Storf miscounted".

The main reason it's probably not Clapton is as people said, it's a stretch to label this as "Electric Blues" and it would likely be in essentials.

Yep, Nicki and Clapton both fit all the clues. (assuming the numbers are "Number of album released: CD pressings, Vinyl pressings")

I don't think it's them and it's a stretch. But clue wise, not as much of a stretch as "Storf miscounted".

The main reason it's probably not Clapton is as people said, it's a stretch to label this as "Electric Blues" and it would likely be in essentials.
I'm not as thrown off by the Essentials/Classics distinction, because there are side-sub albums that could have easily been Essential and as much as they advertise to the contrary, Essentials isn't essential, so much as it is the album we want to sell 25-30k copies of versus a few thousand.

I don't think it is Clapton because of the Electric Blues clue and that Clapton doesn't fit with what Classics has been in the past. He's a step removed from the type of blues picks and he's squarely in the classic rock realm which I always felt that the Classics sub was a response to (i.e. here is all this other American music from the 60s and 70s that you may not be as familiar with).

Which numbers 10 and 4 for Clapton? Also, why the colon to separate the 10 from the 4 and the 21? I think we're stretching pretty hard with what those numbers mean in this context.

Which numbers 10 and 4 for Clapton? Also, why the colon to separate the 10 from the 4 and the 21? I think we're stretching pretty hard with what those numbers mean in this context.
It is his 10th album considering all of his bands to that date, the 4 is the number of distinct CD pressings, and the 21 is the number of vinyl pressings. Its all detailed earlier in the thread.

I'm not as thrown off by the Essentials/Classics distinction, because there are side-sub albums that could have easily been Essential and as much as they advertise to the contrary, Essentials isn't essential, so much as it is the album we want to sell 25-30k copies of versus a few thousand.

I don't think it is Clapton because of the Electric Blues clue and that Clapton doesn't fit with what Classics has been in the past. He's a step removed from the type of blues picks and he's squarely in the classic rock realm which I always felt that the Classics sub was a response to (i.e. here is all this other American music from the 60s and 70s that you may not be as familiar with).

Yeah, and I don't think they would try to square peg Clapton's first album into the round hole of Classics based on what Classics has been so far when they could simply just put it out as Essentials which is where it fits perfectly.

Not for nothing, AAA reissues of Clapton albums (and Cream, Blind Faith, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominoes, etc) that aren't MFSL are not very common

I've never heard that King album, and I wouldn't be opposed to an album of Elvis covers, but my only exposure to Albert King is from the Stax Anthology, and it is by far my least favorite album in that set.

Yeah, and I don't think they would try to square peg Clapton's first album into the round hole of Classics based on what Classics has been so far when they could simply just put it out as Essentials which is where it fits perfectly.

Not for nothing, AAA reissues of Clapton albums (and Cream, Blind Faith, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominoes, etc) that aren't MFSL are not very common
I really only think the Bluesbreakers album fits what the Classics albums have been from a musical sense, and an AAA cut would be awesome and have enough demand to be in the bigger sub. I mean, I definitely would love to have that.

I'm the one who originally brought up the 10: 4, 21 possibly relating to number of album release and album pressings. I knew it's a stretch and I honestly would be surprised if it was Clapton too. (And I made the connection before future was the clear front runner, the numbers fit Pinkprint not Honest)

But all the guesses relating to those numbers are stretches and they've definitely had releases in side subs before that could definitely go in essentials.
As someone else pointed out, I think the only way it'd be in classics is if they made a deal for multiple albums of his and they are saving one of his others for Essentials (like they did with Al Green or Aretha).

Last edited:
I've never heard that King album, and I wouldn't be opposed to an album of Elvis covers, but my only exposure to Albert King is from the Stax Anthology, and it is by far my least favorite album in that set.
That's surprising, the King album is one of my favorites in the Stax Anthology. In fact, the only album in there that I haven't spun 4+ times is the William Bell.

Different strokes I suppose. Either way, an album of Elvis covers won't be enough to get me to rejoin, though that White Stripes variant in Essentials is mighty tempting.

To me the biggest knock against it being Clapton is this:

Storf Context: "I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale."

Eric Clapton does not in any way strike me as a "smaller scale" release.

To me the biggest knock against it being Clapton is this:
Eric Clapton does not in any way strike me as a "smaller scale" release.

Also very true. Unless plans changed and they werent expecting this one.
Or things got reshuffled. First 4 were Herbie, Aretha, Patrice, and Otis. I would say only Aretha and Otis would fit this criteria. The other two I really like but definitely not in contention for "biggest classics release yet".

Last edited:
Back