Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Just flew home to Miami for the weekend. Some family stuff came up and I had tried to distract myself by unboxing all my records that I had shipped home while I work in Nashville this summer. My turn table is in Austin so I can't listen to them until I get back. But looking at the records they all look super dirty. Feel like there are finger prints and similar light markings on it. Guess I'll be able to clean them but did anyone else have this problem?

My last packages arrived today. Records look fine and everything is in order. Will give them a clean and a spin this weekend. The liner notes were shipped in a record mailer thank goodness. But wow those notes sure took no effort at all to put together, they couldn't even be bothered to get them perfect bound. They sure spared no expense on putting them together.

Oh well it's all about the music right jazzbos?

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

VMP really ran through the 7 deadly sins with this Anthology, didn't they?

I'm out on any future anthologies. They could do the complete history of Evanescence, complete with unreleased recordings, I wouldn't even buy it at this point.

VMP stepped into a realm that they couldn't handle. How anyone, including the Vinyl Junkies guy, could be satisfied with this experience is beyond me.

That would not be the one coming to my mind as the ultimate lure

:ROFLMAO: It's a bit of an inside joke. Though, everyone has that one band or artist who spurred their love of music. For me, it's Evanescence. In 7th grade, they introduced me to rock and metal, and as a result, all of music, really. Didn't pay much attention to music prior to that.

Though I already have the Evanescence Ultimate Collection boxset, so would I even need an Anthology for them? Not to mention a real OG CD of their very rare demo album Origin.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

VMP really ran through the 7 deadly sins with this Anthology, didn't they?

I'm out on any future anthologies. They could do the complete history of Evanescence, complete with unreleased recordings, I wouldn't even buy it at this point.

VMP stepped into a realm that they couldn't handle. How anyone, including the Vinyl Junkies guy, could be satisfied with this experience is beyond me.
It's equal parts strange and funny to watch all the "just about the music" people finally get up in arms over this booklet issue.

Also, VMP banned me from commenting in the FB group over commenting on the thread asking whose idea it was to ship the booklets in a padded envelope with "I think it was Matt Fiedler'a idea. Coming up with a better shipping method is something he'd do with more time, I guess." They also deleted the comment.
:LOL:

I’m definitely disillusioned by this set and specifically the price but I’m also a sucker and I know I’d go again if there was an Anthology that I liked the sound of in the future.

Some awesome dude made some killer mock ups of potential future sets in the last place. If any of those came to being, I’d be in.

Well I’m gonna to go then. And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need you. I don’t need anything except this. And that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need this or this. Just this Dexter jacket. And this Horace Silver replacement, the Dexter jacket and the Horace Silver replacement and that’s all I need. And this Wayne Shorter repress. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and that’s all I need. And these booklets. The Dexter jacket, and these booklets, and the Wayne Shorter repress and the Horace Silver replacement. And this foil stamp. The Dexter jacket, this Horace Silver replacement and the Wayne Shorter repress and the foil stamp and that’s all I need. And that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need this. The Horace Silver replacement, and the discount codes, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and the booklets, for sure. And this. And that’s all I need. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, the Wayne Shorter repress, this live event and the discount codes.

Do you mind if I copy and paste this into the order notes of my next $300 transaction with VMP? I want to let them know I'm through with them and you've captured the sentiment much more succinctly than I could ever hope to.

I’m definitely disillusioned by this set and specifically the price but I’m also a sucker and I know I’d go again if there was an Anthology that I liked the sound of in the future.

Some awesome dude made some killer mock ups of potential future sets in the last place. If any of those came to being, I’d be in.

Well, sometimes they source their curation from the community. I just hope that guy doesn't want to be credited for the inspiration. ;)

It's equal parts strange and funny to watch all the "just about the music" people finally get up in arms over this booklet issue.

Also, VMP banned me from commenting in the FB group over commenting on the thread asking whose idea it was to ship the booklets in a padded envelope with "I think it was Matt Fiedler'a idea. Coming up with a better shipping method is something he'd do with more time, I guess." They also deleted the comment.
:LOL:

lol, they're willing to delete stuff that isn't nice about them, but god forbid they actually help steer that stupid cesspit.

They get complaints every month about crushed corners on their vinyl in a box. Not one of them took a step back and thought about the damage of a booklet in a padded mailer? Not one of them thought about this and thought, if I were paying 230 for this, how would I feel about messed up jackets, labels etc or this shoddy community? It’s like first year college students slapping a major project together at the last minute and expecting an A.

It’s like first year college students slapping a major project together at the last minute and expecting an A.

It’s like first year college students slapping a major project together at the last minute and expecting an A.
What really interested me about seeing the test pressings that some people got as a bonus is that the dates on them were for the end of February. How long in advance so you have to put in an order to RTI to get test pressings? Let's be generous and say beginning of February. How long does it take to get Kevin Gray the masters and have him cut a lacquer? So, they have at least been working on this since January at the most generous possible estimate, but likely months before that. Which means they had months and months of actively working on it, plus however long in advance the planning began since the original idea was hatched. So, they absolutely had A LOT of time to get this right and fucked up nearly every aspect of it.

What really interested me about seeing the test pressings that some people got as a bonus is that the dates on them were for the end of February. How long in advance so you have to put in an order to RTI to get test pressings? Let's be generous and say beginning of February. How long does it take to get Kevin Gray the masters and have him cut a lacquer? So, they have at least been working on this since January at the most generous possible estimate, but likely months before that. Which means they had months and months of actively working on it, plus however long in advance the planning began since the original idea was hatched. So, they absolutely had A LOT of time to get this right and fucked up nearly every aspect of it.

You're absolutely correct, johnpisme. Let's be kind and say VMP had since January 2019 to plan this. (Although, they likely formally started planning in 3Q18.) That's three months to announce things. That's three months to:
  1. Write quality notes for each album. I had assumed that they were going to do the mini books for each of these 6 albums in the way that they've done every Classics album. The decision to not do this was the first sign I had this was going to be a folly of a box set.
  2. Find artwork that was not a complete botched job. Making sure that the colors on these 6 albums were exactly the same as they were on the original Blue Note pressings. And that no CD covers were used.
  3. Do whatever needed to be done so it doesn't look like some demented six year old with a gray sharpie randomly scribbled a number on the outer box.
  4. Figure out some actual sales and neat things to sell to VMP Anthology members instead of this bullshit contest that obviously got slapped together at the last moment and may or may not actually be a box of Don Was's poop.
  5. Create an entertaining and informative podcast that ran for longer than 20 minutes.
  6. Actually create some type of informal program through which VMP Anthology members could actually learn about jazz and the history of Blue Note instead of the cluster fuck side one-upmanship show attraction that is the VMP Anthology Facebook page, but not
Figure out that padded mailers were a pad idea to send saddle stitched booklets in. That's some basic level shit that no person or group of people who run a record company should ever think is potentially an okay or acceptable way to mail things. (Note: I and some others received our booklets in the cardboard mailers. My booklet isn't banged up. It's still a piece of shit, though.)

Back