Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Is this the first anthology that doesn't have a window of availability advertised? It will just be available...forever?

Everything else aside, I'm glad that they finally dropped that gimmick. I think it would be cool if they continued in the direction of pressing enough of the anthologies so that they were available for all those interested, instead of leaning so hard into the exclusivity side of the product. I'd respect them more as a business if they put enough thought and care into their products that their goal, beyond just selling a bunch of units and making money to cover their costs, was to be a pathway for their customers into certain artists/labels that they felt were important. It would be cool if they were investing in products that they didn't necessarily want to ever sell out of because they were passionate about connecting people with music that would mean something to them over their lifetime. When I'm feeling charitable, I like to think that's what they're doing with the Fiona releases that they keep repressing over and over. They obviously can't afford to do this with everything, but it would be cool to see them lean into a handful of artists or labels and throw their weight in the market behind them. But honestly, it doesn't feel like any of the VMP staff actually enjoy music that way - they push the "you'll feel so stupid later if you miss out on this" and the "yeah, this album is great, and the artist whatever-their-name-is is a talented genius, but our version of it is the only one that matters so just make sure you buy our release specifically" angles so much. I get that they need to sell records, but I feel like they could at least pretend a little harder to convince me that they care about the underlying music.

Also, I'm one who has obviously heard about the Grateful Dead over the years, but never really made a conscious choice to listen to them. Hearing about 20-minute-long live tracks made me think it would sound really repetitive and lazy. The first time I saw Animal Collective live at a festival it was just like a lot of droning noises without any melody or energy - it felt like they were just kind of aimlessly wandering around the ideas of some of their songs and didn't really care if the show ended up coming together in any coherent way. Those memories haven't gone away.

But I'm listening through these albums now on spotify. Workingman's Dead sounded fine - I like the folksiness of it. American Beauty I liked slightly better, but still not really grabbing me. But Live/Dead - yes, this is great. Not nearly as punishingly weird or repetitive as I was bracing for. It's consistently interesting and feels like it's going somewhere. Looking forward to checking out the other albums and recommendations people have made in this thread.

Calling it now, a fake sellout announcement within the next 48 hours followed by it being listed again on some other affiliates website in the next 6 months or so. Announcing fake sellouts is buying themselves new customers, which is more important to them right now than actually selling out.

The only thing they seem to have sold out is their principles.... eh? eh?eh?

I’ll get my coat...

So the anthologies are still comically overpriced. $449 for 14 pieces of vinyl, FUCK!

Thats roughly double the price of the Bowie box sets with similar numbers of discs...

The VMP Anthology remains the single most comically terrible idea I’ve heard of...

Last edited:
But I'm listening through these albums now on spotify. Workingman's Dead sounded fine - I like the folksiness of it. American Beauty I liked slightly better, but still not really grabbing me. But Live/Dead - yes, this is great. Not nearly as punishingly weird or repetitive as I was bracing for. It's consistently interesting and feels like it's going somewhere. Looking forward to checking out the other albums and recommendations people have made in this thread.
Good to hear! It’s a journey for sure, and each show tells its own story.

That’s what is also a bit confusing about this “introductory” box. I’m a big fan but rarely listen to a studio album outside of WD/AB. Not to say they’re not good, but a live Truckin’, Uncle John’s Band, Terrapin, Eyes of the World, Weather Report Suite, or Samson & Delilah Is going to beat out the studio version 50/50 times. Given the choice, I’m always going for live stuff over studio. So spending so much on each album seems kind of silly because I just wouldn’t listen to some, like Terrapin or Wake of the Flood, that often.

Last edited:
My local just got BOTH of these at the same time, really nice NM used copies, $75 a pop.
I don't have a dog in this fight, nor have I heard those copies, but just because the Rhinos are cheaper doesn't mean they are inherently inferior to MoFis. Chris Bellman cut AAA vinyl is nothing to scoff at.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight, not have I heard those copies, but just because the Rhinos are cheaper doesn't mean they are inherently inferior to MoFis. Chris Bellman cut AAA vinyl is nothing to scoff at.
I think someone on this forum did a side-by-side comparison of the two (maybe on Reddit?) and they were surprisingly close. I'd highly recommend the Rhino versions.

I don't mean to change the subject, but Zamrock Anthology is finally out for delivery for me. I ordered it out of intrigue, and frankly boredom, what seems like a lifetime ago.

With the monotony of (essentially) quarantine and the grind of distance learning in full effect, I'm really looked forward to escaping reality and delving in. It's the diversion that I need right now. Or maybe any diversion would work. I finally got around to watching the mini documentary last night, and I'm all in for my first Anthology.

I don't have a dog in this fight, nor have I heard those copies, but just because the Rhinos are cheaper doesn't mean they are inherently inferior to MoFis. Chris Bellman cut AAA vinyl is nothing to scoff at.

Ya I know, so I passed, I did scoop up two Miles mofis (in the sky and Filles) and a Dire Straits' brother in arms for $50 and $60 respectively though.

I don't mean to change the subject, but Zamrock Anthology is finally out for delivery for me. I ordered it out of intrigue, and frankly boredom, what seems like a lifetime ago.

With the monotony of (essentially) quarantine and the grind of distance learning in full effect, I'm really looked forward to escaping reality and delving in. It's the diversion that I need right now. Or maybe any diversion would work. I finally got around to watching the mini documentary last night, and I'm all in for my first Anthology.
It's really great. Lots of great albums in there. I haven't bothered to look at the documentary or listen to the podcasts...might eventually...but the box is super nice and albums are solid quality. I hate that they are still doing the stupid "Week 1" "Week 2" thing (each album is sealed within a useless package that is meant to hide what albums are which and you are supposed to open them one week at a time...) Make sure you open them all when you receive the box because I had a duplicate of one album and was missing another. It took me a week and a half and bugging VMP on every platform available to get a response finally and I will supposedly get the album shipped out to me next week.

Ya I know, so I passed, I did scoop up two Miles mofis (in the sky and Filles) and a Dire Straits' brother in arms for $50 and $60 respectively though.
Those Miles MoFis are so good. A lot are out of print now too. I was lucky to grab the MoFi In A Silent Way from an Amazon sale and I think I ended up paying $30 for it. Grabbed In The Sky and Nefertiti from that random discogs seller a year or two ago who had crazy deals on MoFi and we thought he was a scam, but everything arrived safe and sound. I ended up putting in 3 or 4 orders from that guy hah.

I will say, a lot of MoFi seem to be hit or miss...but when they are a hit, they really sound incredible. I was able to grab an early Japanese MoFi pressing of Ziggy Stardust the other day for a really good deal and I think it might be the best sounding record in my collection now.

Those Miles MoFis are so good. A lot are out of print now too. I was lucky to grab the MoFi In A Silent Way from an Amazon sale and I think I ended up paying $30 for it. Grabbed In The Sky and Nefertiti from that random discogs seller a year or two ago who had crazy deals on MoFi and we thought he was a scam, but everything arrived safe and sound. I ended up putting in 3 or 4 orders from that guy hah.

I will say, a lot of MoFi seem to be hit or miss...but when they are a hit, they really sound incredible. I was able to grab an early Japanese MoFi pressing of Ziggy Stardust the other day for a really good deal and I think it might be the best sounding record in my collection now.
I recently got the Miles Jack Johnson MoFi and it's spectacular.

On the Corner and Milestones mofi's can be added to that list, terrific, esp for the $40ea I scored them for.

Also found the mofi box of Kind of Blue but asking $100 used. Couldn't pull the trigger
I have actually heard that the KoB box set isn't all that great...and I have an early press of it so don't feel the need to upgrade. The review I remember reading was called "Kind of...Blah?" hahah

I believe the originals and the Classic Records Grundman pressings are meant to be the best sounding. People think that MoFi boosted the bass, and also I do not believe the MoFi version is cut from original tapes since they aren't in good shape anymore.

Last edited:
I have actually heard that the KoB box set isn't all that great...and I have an early press of it so don't feel the need to upgrade. The review I remember reading was called "Kind of...Blah?" hahah

I believe the originals and the Classic Records Grundman pressings are meant to be the best sounding. People think that MoFi boosted the bass, and also I do not believe the MoFi version is cut from original tapes since they aren't in good shape anymore.

Good to know, thanks! I tend to do that research before splurging on a high end pressing, but hadn't done so for KoB yet. I was gifted a cheap, prob digital, reissue with alt cover that def needs an upgrade.

I think someone on this forum did a side-by-side comparison of the two (maybe on Reddit?) and they were surprisingly close. I'd highly recommend the Rhino versions.
Also, I don’t know if this is a selling point necessarily but it confused the fuck out of me until I read the hype sticker, Rhino’s Workingman’s Dead reissue has an upside down back cover, apparently this replicated a manufacturing error that effected the initial release. Obviously it’s just an aesthetic thing but something Is found interesting/informative nonetheless.

Also, I don’t know if this is a selling point necessarily but it confused the fuck out of me until I read the hype sticker, Rhino’s Workingman’s Dead reissue has an upside down back cover, apparently this replicated a manufacturing error that effected the initial release. Obviously it’s just an aesthetic thing but something Is found interesting/informative nonetheless.
That confused the hell out of me for a long time, too. I have the European version and I wondered if it being upside down was unique to that one.

Back