Vinyl Me Please Anthology

@seeirwin

After listening to the Lou album I had some ideas about his playing.

He and Adderly are similar in a lot of ways. They both cut their teeth during the bee bop era and went on to have a very soulful sound that wasn’t in be bop. What are the ideas they use to make this distinction? Also even though they both have a very soulful sound they have very distinctive personalities on their instrument. What do they do that set them apart from each other?

Also you are a guitarist and must love Grant Green. There is some praise for his playing in the FB group about his playing on this album. For me it’s not his best. He doesn’t build in intensity like solos on other albums. A trait I think Marc Ribot borrows from him (one of my favorite contemporary guitarists). What are your thoughts on Green on this album.

And lastly, don’t know how much time you spend around here, but Mark DeClive Lowe is doing an AMA on Monday at 11Am Pacific time on the form. Thought you may be interested.
I'm still waiting on my second batch of Anthology records (I'm one of the people who got the shipping notice but then the package just stayed in Denver for a week), so I haven't heard the album yet. I am a little familiar with Grant Green, though, as he is one of my favorite guitarists. His playing is *very* blues-based. That's probably what you are picking up on in your listening. That sound is pretty distinct because it involves playing a note which is a half-step away from one of the notes in a major chord instead of the chord tone itself. To put it more technically, Green uses scales that have a minor third over major chords, if that makes sense (forgive me - I don't remember your musical background!).

Once I get the album, I'll check back in about his playing on this particular session. One interesting thing I noticed the other day while listening to Workout, is that Green isn't afraid to re-use licks and play the same thing verbatim. I really dig it, but I know there are people that think everything should be never-played-before and totally fresh.

Thanks for the heads-up about Mark DeClive Lowe!

I think that's fair. Would take a record without the sleeve though. Think this album is great and it's hard to get good copies of.
It’s the main record I signed up for. I looked for a long time to find one in good shape on eBay and caved on Anthology. Pressing sounds great too. My extra is spoken for but weirdly enough, I have seen 3 copies sell for $30 or under in the past week or so on discogs/eBay, so keep your eye out!

It’s the main record I signed up for. I looked for a long time to find one in good shape on eBay and caved on Anthology. Pressing sounds great too. My extra is spoken for but weirdly enough, I have seen 3 copies sell for $30 or under in the past week or so on discogs/eBay, so keep your eye out!

What are the anthology records on discogs listed under? I don't see them filed under the main album release.

Yeah it’s super weird. After years of searching for a reasonably priced OG there’s been several that have showed up recently in decent condition at very reasonable prices on EBay and Discogs. Not sure how much it’s related to the Anthology or if it’s just a coincidence. I was lucky to snag a clean one a few months ago but it’s nice that others are getting them too. Such a great album.

Both the Anthology press and the OG Van Gelder sound great. The separation is better on the Anthology press with the drums and cymbals in particular sounding very good. Same with the flute. The OG has more bass, surprisingly, and the definition of the individual notes on the various horns and flute aren’t as clear and defined. It is still pretty close and can’t go wrong with either pressing.

I'm still waiting on my second batch of Anthology records (I'm one of the people who got the shipping notice but then the package just stayed in Denver for a week), so I haven't heard the album yet. I am a little familiar with Grant Green, though, as he is one of my favorite guitarists. His playing is *very* blues-based. That's probably what you are picking up on in your listening. That sound is pretty distinct because it involves playing a note which is a half-step away from one of the notes in a major chord instead of the chord tone itself. To put it more technically, Green uses scales that have a minor third over major chords, if that makes sense (forgive me - I don't remember your musical background!).

Once I get the album, I'll check back in about his playing on this particular session. One interesting thing I noticed the other day while listening to Workout, is that Green isn't afraid to re-use licks and play the same thing verbatim. I really dig it, but I know there are people that think everything should be never-played-before and totally fresh.

Thanks for the heads-up about Mark DeClive Lowe!

I was wondering why you were so quiet. So my theory knowledge is enough to know what you are talking about, but my ear is not quick enough to hear it in a natural setting.

Yea Grant doesn’t do the repeating lick thing that much on this record, a feature of his playing that I love.

Has anyone who needed a replacement for any of the first 4 LPs gotten anything yet? I was told 2 weeks ago that they'd be looking into replacements "in the next week or so" but haven't heard anything since.

Has anyone who needed a replacement for any of the first 4 LPs gotten anything yet? I was told 2 weeks ago that they'd be looking into replacements "in the next week or so" but haven't heard anything since.
I haven't heard anything further but I got the impression that a week was the earliest it would go out.

I'm glad we're getting replacement copies, but man, I need to have the new one in hand before I would even think about selling the bad one.

I'm glad we're getting replacement copies, but man, I need to have the new one in hand before I would even think about selling the bad one.
Oh yea. The copies I saw on eBay were earlier pressings, not this one. Agreed I want the new one before getting rid of the first one. And if they don’t replace the sleeve then I’d feel like a dingus if I already given mine away.

Oh yea. The copies I saw on eBay were earlier pressings, not this one. Agreed I want the new one before getting rid of the first one. And if they don’t replace the sleeve then I’d feel like a dingus if I already given mine away.

Ahh that makes more sense!

Looks like I will have two correct label copies, which is sad because it would have been nice to have the wrong one and correct one (since it will be "correct"), if anyone is looking to get rid of their incorrect one could I have it and send you my correct one once we both confirm the replacements are good. I don't care what you do with the one I send you, or if easier you could sell (or whatever you plan to do with it) "my" copy, I send it to the buyer (person) and you send me yours

Looks like I will have two correct label copies, which is sad because it would have been nice to have the wrong one and correct one (since it will be "correct"), if anyone is looking to get rid of their incorrect one could I have it and send you my correct one once we both confirm the replacements are good. I don't care what you do with the one I send you, or if easier you could sell (or whatever you plan to do with it) "my" copy, I send it to the buyer (person) and you send me yours
BREAAAAAK THE CHAAIIIIIIN ENOOOOCH

Back