Vinyl Me Please Anthology

How does everyone feel about the people who tend to post quite a lot of pictures of jazz albums without any actual content about them on the FB group? I'm personally torn on it. I belong to a FB group called Jazz Vinyl Lovers run by Ken Micallef (who writes for various places such as Stereophile and the like, and has a great Youtube channel) where the only real objective is posting jazz vinyl album covers, but it tends to be full of great people who add info to their posts and create interesting discussion. So, in that case I have to say I'm in favor of it. On the Anthology FB group, I'm not sure it provides a good function most of the time, but it's not something I feel too strongly about. What made me actually post about it now is that I confirmed something I've been suspecting for a long time: that there is one user who frequently posts CD covers that he intentionally "disguises" so that it isn't readily apparent that's what they are. I've taken note of his posts that often seem to be a CD booklet taken out of the jewel case and cropped closely so that the telltale edges of the booklet are cut off, allowing it to be mistaken for possibly a vinyl album cover. Does this cross the line? Is this just very odd behavior? Why would someone frequently post CD covers on a FB group that is ostensibly a journey of learning about jazz and Blue Note in particular? What is the point?

How does everyone feel about the people who tend to post quite a lot of pictures of jazz albums without any actual content about them on the FB group? I'm personally torn on it. I belong to a FB group called Jazz Vinyl Lovers run by Ken Micallef (who writes for various places such as Stereophile and the like, and has a great Youtube channel) where the only real objective is posting jazz vinyl album covers, but it tends to be full of great people who add info to their posts and create interesting discussion. So, in that case I have to say I'm in favor of it. On the Anthology FB group, I'm not sure it provides a good function most of the time, but it's not something I feel too strongly about. What made me actually post about it now is that I confirmed something I've been suspecting for a long time: that there is one user who frequently posts CD covers that he intentionally "disguises" so that it isn't readily apparent that's what they are. I've taken note of his posts that often seem to be a CD booklet taken out of the jewel case and cropped closely so that the telltale edges of the booklet are cut off, allowing it to be mistaken for possibly a vinyl album cover. Does this cross the line? Is this just very odd behavior? Why would someone frequently post CD covers on a FB group that is ostensibly a journey of learning about jazz and Blue Note in particular? What is the point?
I don't like it. I'm considering leaving the FB group b/c of too many notifications. It's silly. I just want the music and this forum.

Last edited:

I hate it. Those "What's Spinning" post just clog my FB feed. I wish someone from VMP had actually moderated the group. Or they had created a p/w protected section of the old forums so we could have a few different sections so people who like the masturbatory What's Spinning / "I love this album" posts could have a place for themselves.

Fwiw, I reported a couple people who just spam What's Spinning pics as Spam and then blocked them. It has made the experience tolerable. I have not found the FB group to be added value. YMMV.

For me most of the FB group is just background noise. Some people's behavior can be annoying (posting photos of albums that have nothing to do with BN or the artists in the box). The second podcast was lacking in much that was interesting. There was no real dept in their conversation about the albums. Nothing has lived up to their, "Student of Jazz" billing except what Sean Irwin has done. I have to listen to that video he did on Horace again just to get a grasp on things. There should be more if this type of content.

I didn't watch the Don Was AMA, but the problem with AMAs is that people don't know how to ask interesting questions. You have to sit through a lot of basic fan boy/girl questions.

The music and package is great so far. I'd like to get my hands on the book that comes with it.

Slightly related to issues here, I notice that the Dexter Gordon Clubhouse Tone Poet reissue looks to have the 2007 CD cover in most promotional shots. I wonder if they’ll treat the back sleeve the same and get a reworked CD offering?

I noticed that too. Weird. Maybe ask on the Hoffman forums? Joe Harley is on there sometimes. It also appears that it's missing the 6th track, Lady Iris B based on the track listing on the BN webstore.

Slightly related to issues here, I notice that the Dexter Gordon Clubhouse Tone Poet reissue looks to have the 2007 CD cover in most promotional shots. I wonder if they’ll treat the back sleeve the same and get a reworked CD offering?
To be fair, the CD cover that is listed is way better than the original generic late 70’s cover that was on a bunch of those unreleased Blue Notes.

To be fair, the CD cover that is listed is way better than the original generic late 70’s cover that was on a bunch of those unreleased Blue Notes.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Music Matters changed Shorter's Soothsayer and Grant Green's Solid covers from their original BN Classic 70s covers to covers that were stylistically in line with the BN covers of the 60s, so I'm guessing something similar happened here. Tbh, I find the missing track more concerning.

Last edited:
Spinning Natural Soul now and having never listened to Lou Donaldson before I have to say/shout ITS AWESOME! Is this typical of his sound and what other albums should I check out in a similar vein?

I used to really dig Blues Walk and Gravy Train but I haven’t heard Natural Soul to know how it compares.

Back