Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Cadet has yet to eclipse 650/1000. Still over 350 left.

Storf said somewhere on the Discord it would probably take years to sell them all.

It’s a cool set, but price point needs to be lower for me.
This makes me sad, this set is absolute fire. But I guess Cadet doesn't hold the same clout as something like Blue Note or Impulse.

I also worry that it dampens the prospect of any possible Cadet titles as future store drops or ROTMs. I was hoping for more Rotary Connection or some Ahmad Jamal in the not-too-distant future.

This makes me sad, this set is absolute fire. But I guess Cadet doesn't hold the same clout as something like Blue Note or Impulse.

I also worry that it dampens the prospect of any possible Cadet titles as future store drops or ROTMs. I was hoping for more Rotary Connection or some Ahmad Jamal in the not-too-distant future.
I’m really interested in the set, but can’t justify the price. If it comes down, I will be more inclined. I just think there’s less of a market these days for $350-400 purchases.

I’m really interested in the set, but can’t justify the price. If it comes down, I will be more inclined. I just think there’s less of a market these days for $350-400 purchases.
I honestly think they’re pricing the anthologies too high. The ones that had been sold out were all under $300 (even if just listed at $299).

Have they sold some out eventually? Yes. But ever since they consistently pushed the price over $300 for members (Quincy was the first on iirc) they’ve sat for much longer.

If they want these to sell out in a reasonable time frame, they’d put a 2 as the first number.

I honestly think they’re pricing the anthologies too high. The ones that had been sold out were all under $300 (even if just listed at $299).

Have they sold some out eventually? Yes. But ever since they consistently pushed the price over $300 for members (Quincy was the first on iirc) they’ve sat for much longer.

If they want these to sell out in a reasonable time frame, they’d put a 2 as the first number.
My reasonable wish, that'll never happen, is that box sets go back to being cheaper than buying each record individually. You should get a discount for buying them all in one go.

My reasonable wish, that'll never happen, is that box sets go back to being cheaper than buying each record individually. You should get a discount for buying them all in one go.
This is why I look elsewhere at boxes when they go on sale. I got the Otis set from Rhino for like $70 I think.

Remember when they’d sell bundles that didn’t even have a discount on them? At least they fixed that!

This is why I look elsewhere at boxes when they go on sale. I got the Otis set from Rhino for like $70 I think.

Remember when they’d sell bundles that didn’t even have a discount on them? At least they fixed that!
I do the same. I love box sets. They are a big weakness of mine. So I hunt for the blowouts too. That Otis set is nice and I regret not grabbing it when it was that price. I opted for the Staple Singers box set over that one at the time. It's gorgeous too.

I think labels can do steep discounts and charge less in general because they aren’t paying for licensing. They also aren’t paying to take the tapes out to bring to a studio to cut. They just hire Bernie or KG or whoever for a day to cut all the records then pay for the pressings/packaging.

I’d love to learn more about the licensing side and how much companies like VMP pay to license titles for a box set.

IMO they should split these boxes across 3 or 4 months. Like, sell the empty box and first two less popular records first, then another two the following month and so on. Those who want the full set will buy them all, those who just want a few records will buy some too. They would still seat on some releases/boxes but at least they would have most if not all the money spent covered.

IMO they should split these boxes across 3 or 4 months. Like, sell the empty box and first two less popular records first, then another two the following month and so on. Those who want the full set will buy them all, those who just want a few records will buy some too. They would still seat on some releases/boxes but at least they would have most if not all the money spent covered.
Thats what they did for Bluenote. (Well sort of you were all in). Dolly is sort of that way.

Thats what they did for Bluenote. (Well sort of you were all in). Dolly is sort of that way.

Yup. Difference is you had to pay full price to have a pair of BN titres shipped and a box is missing for Dolly's titles.

On the other hand, I don't know how they deal with labels and if these allow VMP to sell their Anthologies this way. I guess it might be complicated to work with such big labels with an extensive catalog like BN or Impulse. This last box took them 3 years and we probably don't know all the issues VMP had to solve before releasing the box.

Yup. Difference is you had to pay full price to have a pair of BN titres shipped and a box is missing for Dolly's titles.

On the other hand, I don't know how they deal with labels and if these allow VMP to sell their Anthologies this way. I guess it might be complicated to work with such big labels with an extensive catalog like BN or Impulse. This last box took them 3 years and we probably don't know all the issues VMP had to solve before releasing the box.
I think they would be sitting on tons of stock if they did it this way. How many boxes do you make? Not everybody is going to buy all the titles…If the BN box is any indication, seems like VMP goes to a label and says they want to do a box set and the label says “this is what you can choose from”. Labels aren’t letting people have free rein over their catalogues, especially the huge labels. I don’t doubt that VMP would have wanted to do all the huge titles from Impulse but either Impulse wouldn’t let them or it would have cost too much to license.

So you get some heavy hitters (Ptah, Karma, Africa/Brass) then some lesser known titles. Then they also got to do the Spiritual Jazz collection in smaller numbers.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall to know why this got pushed so far back…wouldn’t be surprised if they were going to press at QRP and then they decided to open a plant and steal the plant manager so QRP came off the table. Then their plant seems to have been delayed quite a lot. I almost feel bad because the wind got taken out of their sails. I think this would have sold out fairly quickly had the VBR and AS releases not happened.

I think they would be sitting on tons of stock if they did it this way. How many boxes do you make? Not everybody is going to buy all the titles…If the BN box is any indication, seems like VMP goes to a label and says they want to do a box set and the label says “this is what you can choose from”. Labels aren’t letting people have free rein over their catalogues, especially the huge labels. I don’t doubt that VMP would have wanted to do all the huge titles from Impulse but either Impulse wouldn’t let them or it would have cost too much to license.

So you get some heavy hitters (Ptah, Karma, Africa/Brass) then some lesser known titles. Then they also got to do the Spiritual Jazz collection in smaller numbers.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall to know why this got pushed so far back…wouldn’t be surprised if they were going to press at QRP and then they decided to open a plant and steal the plant manager so QRP came off the table. Then their plant seems to have been delayed quite a lot. I almost feel bad because the wind got taken out of their sails. I think this would have sold out fairly quickly had the VBR and AS releases not happened.
We've been talking about this one since at least the GD/Herbie/Tribe days, right?

We've been talking about this one since at least the GD/Herbie/Tribe days, right?
The first leaked image of it from a VMP video was in November of 2021. so in the words of Aaron Lewis...

vUyeKq.gif

Problem for them would be that they would be selling out of the sought after albums fast and have lots of the stock of the others. Anthology prices would be like 50- 60$ for a single lp. Overall with extra shipping etc. they probably would have more cost, more trouble ( imagine the reaction of those who bought the box and the first two titles and then don't get a copy of ptah etc.)

I do the same. I love box sets. They are a big weakness of mine. So I hunt for the blowouts too. That Otis set is nice and I regret not grabbing it when it was that price. I opted for the Staple Singers box set over that one at the time. It's gorgeous too.
hah - be thankful you don't collect Mosaic Records boxes like I do/did.

Mosaic are the only boxsets I still buy with regularity. The Sonny Clark Blue Note boxset is out for delivery right now and I can't wait!
Nice. I have sat out the last few because I have all of the CDs (Henderson, Hubbard and this) but I still remain tempted. Listened to the Ike Quebec 45s just yesterday after reading about people's love for Blue and Sentimental.

Mosaic are the only boxsets I still buy with regularity. The Sonny Clark Blue Note boxset is out for delivery right now and I can't wait!
I like the mosaics but the “complete” ones are fun for me for one or two listens then I find myself wanting to listen to just the full albums.

Do you just buy them on discogs/eBay?

I like the mosaics but the “complete” ones are fun for me for one or two listens then I find myself wanting to listen to just the full albums.

Do you just buy them on discogs/eBay?
I bought some over the years on eBay that came out before my time. Some I bought from collectors downsizing. I was lucky enough to have a mentor who retired and gave me some of Mosaic sets. The more recent titles I bought as they came out over the last 10-15 years which have been mostly CDs, but there were some vinyl sets like Coltrane's Sun Ship, which I'm lucky enough to have a test pressing of.

I had a Flickr gallery where I used to post my Mosaic sets, but that was over a decade ago when things were still manageable.

The Flickr gallery is still up ---> Mosaic Records Boxsets

Last edited:
Back