Vinyl Me Please Anthology

November!

I missed that, eight months lead time on this. Wowzers.
Storf said they hope to have it out sooner, they chose November to build in some wiggle room for unexpected delays. They did the same thing with Cadet -- it was slated to have a May release but boxes are shipping right now (hoping to get mine by Wednesday!)

I'm intrigued by the Waylon. I already have This Time, but it could be replaced as it is not in the best condition. It will really depend on what else is in it. I have quite a few of his and other than This Time, they are all in pretty good condition.

I kinda am excited for the miles box set, I only own one of the LP's (get up with it, a 70s or 80s pressing very likely) and I do want at least 3 of the LP's there (in a silent way, Jack Johnson, and on the corner). 350 is very steep though, at that price I could go on discogs and find the 3 I'm interested in. But also it might be a better way of knowing more of miles work seeing as there is the booklet and podcast

I kinda am excited for the miles box set, I only own one of the LP's (get up with it, a 70s or 80s pressing very likely) and I do want at least 3 of the LP's there (in a silent way, Jack Johnson, and on the corner). 350 is very steep though, at that price I could go on discogs and find the 3 I'm interested in. But also it might be a better way of knowing more of miles work seeing as there is the booklet and podcast
I mean the podcast will just be on Spotify, no? And Miles’ work is extensively documented. Nothing VMP and Storf commission is likely to turn stones that have never been turned.

Pretty much everything that wold be expected, though was hoping for a few curveballs.

That said, Miles AAA are getting pretty damn scarce now. Just wish they went with someone other than RKS for the mastering.
I think the only way they can do AAA is to use RKS. But could be wrong about that. Maybe VMP is the only place paying up for tape copies still, but KG keeps saying in interviews that he can’t get tapes from Sony/Columbia

VMP being VMP... hey we sent these to the factory we always use, pay us extra money. Given the ubiquitous nature of these releases (most of which I already own on CD), I am for one, not interested.
It’s a similar price per LP to the other anthologies right? Maybe less? 7 albums/11LPs

Just had a look. Interesting set and makes sense to hone in on a specific period otherwise it would have to be a lot lot lot bigger set.

Price is unsurprisingly high, a few of these can be found as clean OG's for less, or even the MOFI pressings (my MOFI "In a Silent Way " is incredible regardless of the digital aspects).

I would love to hear the podcast though.

Edit: Oh and I have 3 out of the 7 so would be getting this anyway.
Seems to be about $30 for a single LP and $60 for a double at member price. With a quick discogs look, a VG+/VG+ OG Bitches Brew and IASW will set you back $180 in the US. I’m sure you could find cheaper later reissues though. And most of the other titles can be found cheaper.

The MoFis are great and quite a few are or have been back in print recently. Those are $40/60 right? I think if I didn’t have any of these albums (or only had one or two) and could afford it, the set would be a no brainer. I do think the anthologies are done well.

I’m gonna hold off on this for awhile to let some credit build up. I have all the MoFis (BB, IASW, JJ but mine has a scratch, On The Corner). Really want a good copy of Live Evil…I didn’t like the RSD one and my early pressing is pretty beat. The AAA draw is there but not sure it’s $350 GZ there for me…I will say I haven’t had many issues with the GZ anthologies in the past. Cadet gets here this week so will see how they are doing lately

Seems to be about $30 for a single LP and $60 for a double at member price. With a quick discogs look, a VG+/VG+ OG Bitches Brew and IASW will set you back $180 in the US. I’m sure you could find cheaper later reissues though. And most of the other titles can be found cheaper.

The MoFis are great and quite a few are or have been back in print recently. Those are $40/60 right? I think if I didn’t have any of these albums (or only had one or two) and could afford it, the set would be a no brainer. I do think the anthologies are done well.

I’m gonna hold off on this for awhile to let some credit build up. I have all the MoFis (BB, IASW, JJ but mine has a scratch, On The Corner). Really want a good copy of Live Evil…I didn’t like the RSD one and my early pressing is pretty beat. The AAA draw is there but not sure it’s $350 GZ there for me…I will say I haven’t had many issues with the GZ anthologies in the past. Cadet gets here this week so will see how they are doing lately
Yeah, the MoFis have been in that price range. And not to short change the other three albums, but the four that have been MoFis are the essential albums of this set. I have all four and all four are spectacular, top of the line audiophile reissues that I’d be shocked if the VMP was noticeably better than.

Yeah, the MoFis have been in that price range. And not to short change the other three albums, but the four that have been MoFis are the essential albums of this set. I have all four and all four are spectacular, top of the line audiophile reissues that I’d be shocked if the VMP was noticeably better than.
Live Evil is the one that's really missing a definitive reissue IMO. the RSD one sucks. I think it's gonna be hard to beat the MoFi IASW. I could see some of the others being bested and not because of the digital vs AAA thing but I think I'm mostly just not a huge fan of Krieg's work. I'll at least be interested to compare the RKS vs MoFi cuts but don't know if that interest is big enough to shell out $350 right now.

They are doing AAA with 1:1 copy tapes. Personally, I feel that a DSD256 copy of the master tape is probably superior.

Regardless, I doubt anyone with the MOFI's, which for Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and OTC are 33, would have any need to repurchase.

I was never crazy about Live/Evil, and have japanese pressings of Get Up With It and Big Fun. Those are analog from 1:1 tape copies as well, done by the best Sony mastering engineers on vintage equipment, and outstanding silent pressings at Japanese plants which are far superior to GZ.

Over and done.

They are doing AAA with 1:1 copy tapes. Personally, I feel that a DSD256 copy of the master tape is probably superior.

Regardless, I doubt anyone with the MOFI's, which for Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and OTC are 33, would have any need to repurchase.

I was never crazy about Live/Evil, and have japanese pressings of Get Up With It and Big Fun. Those are analog from 1:1 tape copies as well, done by the best Sony mastering engineers on vintage equipment, and outstanding silent pressings at Japanese plants which are far superior to GZ.

Over and done.

I think this is well put. Most of us probably have the MoFis. I also have the Mosaic BB and IASW sets so really, all I need are good copies of Live Evil and Big Fun. I don't have either, just parts from the above-mentioned sets plus the amazing CD set of Cellar Door. As for the Cellar Door/Big Fun, the CD set blows the roof off the edited live LP as the stuff that was released isn't even the best material.

I wonder if this is the limit for me? Will say that if the records *after* this were included, I would be ready to go the second it went live. Perhaps we will one day see those from Sony.

Looks like my Cadet box is out for delivery on Tuesday. Best part is it is being delivered by Canada Post, so there is a good chance there might not be any duties on it. Fingers crossed.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but CP doesn't mean you won't get hit with duties, you still very likely will.

My Vanguard was delivered by Canada Post to a Penguin Pickup centre and hit with $60-70 in duties.
It'll either be delivered to one, or a Shoppers Drug Mart for them to charge you.

Last edited:
Cadet box landed today. Everything's going through the Humminguru today/tonight. So far have spun Ashby and Etta (which is a nice surprise since it's mono). Both sound really fantastic. Hoping the rest of the records are pressed/mastered as well as these but I honestly wouldn't have guessed it was pressed at GZ.

Back