Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Very interesting that the three confirmed are getting released this month. Given that Verve/Impulse are doing audiophile releases of some stuff, but did what seems like high quality audiophile digital releases for others (Ptah, Chicken Fat), I’d be curious about the state of those tapes.
Which is probably why they are teasing those now so we don't already have 3 and decide we don't need the set.

Which is probably why they are teasing those now so we don't already have 3 and decide we don't need the set.
I mean there is no way AP isn’t doing Africa/Brass at some point. I just don’t see a reason to grab this. Blue note hadn’t figured out the whole audiophile thing when that one came out. Plus they are stupid priced. I’m glad to save money and have decent copies of what I want.

Echoing a lot of the sentiment that good quality versions of many of the albums will be available before the box so why buy the box? Hopefully the Cadet box has some interesting titles so I can use my VMP credits on that instead.

I own none of the albums that will be in this so I might as well get a fancy box for it

I mean there is no way AP isn’t doing Africa/Brass at some point. I just don’t see a reason to grab this. Blue note hadn’t figured out the whole audiophile thing when that one came out. Plus they are stupid priced. I’m glad to save money and have decent copies of what I want.
Don't count on Africa/Brass from AP. Their run of Verve/Impulse is nearly at an end, horrible delays at every point, and no new titles announced. It would not surprise me if AP is done on this one.

The Speakers Corner is superb anyways.

This VMP Impulse box is looking more and more like a stillborn baby. Ptah is digital, so is the new one, and RKS is no slouch - can't see it getting any better. Mel Brown is a minor title anyways, the RKS Karma will be more than sufficient, the Lateef title they chose is ok but probably the bottom tier record he did for Impulse, El Chico is a great record but the SC may have been the last use of the tape before it went up in smoke...nothing for me in the VMP box.

Maybe that's ok too.

Doesn't look like it's live yet. Hope there's an additional discount for members/past Anthology purchasers because right now at $350 it comes to about $44 a record.

Doesn't look like it's live yet. Hope there's an additional discount for members/past Anthology purchasers because right now at $350 it comes to about $44 a record.
on the one hand, that's kinda pricy. on the gripping hand, that dorothy ashby is incredibly hard to find and the cheapest copy on 'cogs right now is 100+.

I wonder if these are getting reissued elsewhere.

"Lacquers for all titles except for Electric Mud — which was cut AAA by Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering — were cut by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Of those cut by Grundman, all were mastered AAA with the exception of Side B of Mother Nature’s Son, which was transferred from the master tapes and cut from a digital source to amend a passage of tape degradation. All eight titles are pressed on 180g black vinyl at GZ."

Good details on sourcing

"Lacquers for all titles except for Electric Mud — which was cut AAA by Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering — were cut by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Of those cut by Grundman, all were mastered AAA with the exception of Side B of Mother Nature’s Son, which was transferred from the master tapes and cut from a digital source to amend a passage of tape degradation. All eight titles are pressed on 180g black vinyl at GZ."

Good details on sourcing
This info has me getting tempted...

Back