Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Some guy on reddit saying that the VMP will default be the best bc the originals aren't mastered from the tapes no wonder VMP shut down the forums
Really? The originals could only have been mastered from tape. In 1972, there was no digital to master with. That guy is just dumb. Lot of that going around these days.

I think this is exactly where I am, even down to anthologies. I could see picking up some of these albums, but 300 is steep.
I have to admit I briefly almost hit the buy button. This is a solid set, probably VMP's best yet. But - I have the O'Jays, Three Degrees and MFSB already in mint good sound. The Billy Paul I'm not too crazy about, nor am I a fan of the Huff album. The Dexter Wansel is really the prize here, but honestly, as I though more, I backed off. Too much dough for really only a couple of albums that I might really need.

For those who don't have most of these records, this is a fantastic set.

First Anthology I'm gonna bite on since Stax.

The last few anthologies have all just had some type of a flaw in them. Either the price was too high, I just wasn't interested in the music, the pressing quality wasn't up to par, a combination of any of these, or something else entirely.

This feels like the most complete set in awhile. I have none of these records, AAA RTI, $300 bucks is a decently reasonable price point, I live 20 minutes from Philadelphia. Sold.

I purchased The Story of Philadelphia Anthology and cannot wait to receive it! I've only got The O'Jays record, but am keen to upgrade the pressing I own! I'm so happy with the pressing details of this Anthology, particularly with the fact that they are AAA, pressed at RTI and are mastered by Bernie Grundman!

I remember a few people mentioning before that the VMP Herbie Handcock "Headhunters" pressing, which was in The Story of Herbie Hancock Anthology Box, sounded better than the Analogue Productions 45RPM pressing! That VMP pressing was pressed at GZ, however, it was an AAA pressing and was mastered by Bernie Grundman! That pressing was plated RTI and although it was pressed at GZ, it was awesome to know that it was the definitive pressing in terms of sound quality for headhunters - a classic album!

I am confident that these AAA pressings in this Story of Philadelphia Anthology Box, mastered by Bernie Grundman, will sound outstanding! I have a strong feeling that this could be my favourite VMP Anthology Box so far too! I really love the picks, including The Philadelphia International All-Stars album, which is a great compilation! I haven't heard the Leon Huff "Here To Create Music" album, but I do adore the song "I Ain't Jivin, I'm Jammin'", which is included on that album!

After being a tiny bit disappointed with the pressing details of The Story Of Vanguard Anthology Box, due to it being pressed at GZ (A folk Anthology being coloured variants and pressed at GZ didn't seem right to me), I am so happy with the fact that The Story of Philadelphia will be pressed at RTI! AAA + Bernie Grundman means these reissues will sound stunning too!

Last edited:
😁

But, but VMP said it was sold out. How is this possible? ;)

😁

Yeah just got this email....fucking ridiculous. Revolver/BKvegan make it seem like this is a 1000k exclusive too, when in reality these were probably not selling that well so they "sold" all the remaining stock to Revolver (who co produced this box set) so they could say its sold out. I seriously hate this company more and more each day.

Oh and misinformation is so widespread on that subreddit. People will say any bogus shit to make the new vmp pressing sound like the best ever, and if you call them out on it you get downvoted to oblivion.

Like the Grateful Dead selling out. First run was supposed to be 7000 box set. Then when they put the bong down and stopped playing hacky-sack they realized that was impossible so that number disappeared from all the promotion.
That being said, after going through a zillion replacements, it's a effing GOOD set now. I know it's not for anyone that actually like... OWNED ANY GRATEFUL DEAD ALREADY.... But it's basically AP quality QRP pressed CB remastered vinyl of all their big albums. I'm very happy to have it in the end... Also I'm glad they didn't press 7000 because ItZ rAReR nOW.

I live 20 minutes from Philadelphia
I'm a Philly guy, born and raised. Living in NYC now but raising my kids to be Philly sports fans. Cheesesteaks. Liberty Bell. Art Museum. I'm down with all that civic pride. But man, I just could never get down with the Philly Soul sound. The production is too slick and polished for my taste.

That being said, after going through a zillion replacements, it's a effing GOOD set now. I know it's not for anyone that actually like... OWNED ANY GRATEFUL DEAD ALREADY.... But it's basically AP quality QRP pressed CB remastered vinyl of all their big albums. I'm very happy to have it in the end... Also I'm glad they didn't press 7000 because ItZ rAReR nOW.
Maybe they did press 7k but 6500 were franckensteined into making a set that worked for you

The Dead Box... it's the gift that keeps on giving. I think I Pif'd a copy of almost every album in there, and like 3 Workingmans Dead.
I had the rhinos of workindpgman and beauty already, which are good enough for me, but the wake the flood I think only had very little noise that my systemm does not seem to pick up too much, so I'm grateful

I had the rhinos of workindpgman and beauty already, which are good enough for me, but the wake the flood I think only had very little noise that my systemm does not seem to pick up too much, so I'm grateful
I'm glad, my system is a heartless bitch. But I'm working on it...

But, but VMP said it was sold out. How is this possible? ;)
Likely because their license gave Revolver rights to a certain number to sell themselves after the VMP allocation was sold. So VMP is sold out. That doesn't mean someone else who has a contractual allocation is as well. Or, also not uncommon, is that after a certain contractual time limit, unsold copies revert back. Many ways this could happen quite legitimately.

It is super common on Bandcamp and other preorder venues. There are only a set number allocated to that selling platform. It will them show there as sold out. But is still going to be shipped to stores and readily available, but not on that platform anymore, unless they can get a further allocation.

Back