Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Based on what I saw on reddit, my guess is not all that many. Probably 50? People REALLY don't understand how this coupon workaround worked haha.
I'm confused about what they're confused about. VMP has consistently shown that they can't give out codes that actually only work in a specific instance. They seem to always work for everyone regardless of whether they're supposed to or not.

I'm confused about what they're confused about. VMP has consistently shown that they can't give out codes that actually only work in a specific instance. They seem to always work for everyone regardless of whether they're supposed to or not.
There are a lot of people who seemed mad that they did not get a $50 coupon code even though they bought a previous anthology and they are a current member. One person was straight up saying that the codes do not exist despite being shown pictures of the emails haha. Then lots of people just believed VMP when they said "loophole is closed! sorry!"

I'm with you though...why people are still shocked that VMP can't figure out basic things like coupon codes is beyond me. It is funny though that I didn't even think to try the coupon code thing on the Herbie box. It still was too expensive for me and I didn't love the choice of albums but would have been interesting to see if it worked...I bet it did but nobody really thought to try it it seems.

There are a lot of people who seemed mad that they did not get a $50 coupon code even though they bought a previous anthology and they are a current member. One person was straight up saying that the codes do not exist despite being shown pictures of the emails haha. Then lots of people just believed VMP when they said "loophole is closed! sorry!"

I'm with you though...why people are still shocked that VMP can't figure out basic things like coupon codes is beyond me. It is funny though that I didn't even think to try the coupon code thing on the Herbie box. It still was too expensive for me and I didn't love the choice of albums but would have been interesting to see if it worked...I bet it did but nobody really thought to try it it seems.
If I recall correctly, I tried and it didn't stack.

Honestly, this company has a borderline fanatical consumer base. I mean some of them are just plain mental.

VMP are ok. They can be good, utter shite and rarely in between but to read some webbery you'd think that they were pressing unicorn piss and rainbows as opposed to the odd warped repress and the odd aaaalreet lp

Okay, all 3 of you that got Dead boxes... Please go look at your Live/Dead jacket, lower left corner next to the "L". Do you see these kinda yellow ink splotches on yours? I got a replacement jacket and it's identical to the first... Same exact splotches, are everyone's like this? It's minor, but it's still there...20201201_120643.jpg

Honestly, this company has a borderline fanatical consumer base. I mean some of them are just plain mental.

VMP are ok. They can be good, utter shite and rarely in between but to read some webbery you'd think that they were pressing unicorn piss and rainbows as opposed to the odd warped repress and the odd aaaalreet lp
As with most things on the internet, you're either REALLY for something or REALLY against it. VMP is no exception. Not many measured takes, especially on reddit. Threads saying VMP sucks followed by threads saying it's amazing and that it definitely does NOT suck.

As with most things on the internet, you're either REALLY for something or REALLY against it. VMP is no exception. Not many measured takes, especially on reddit. Threads saying VMP sucks followed by threads saying it's amazing and that it definitely does NOT suck.
I'd like to hereby state my stance of "being seriously against, being for anything". I am unwavering in my beliefs. Do not question me or ye shall bring forth the righteous hellfire of- wait... That would mean I'm seriously for my belief in not being seriously for anything... Okay so hang on I uh... Hmmm... Okay I gotta go back to the drawing board, workshop this a bit...

Fremer defended the grateful dead cost with this

I was asked to write a short item for a U.K. business about the high prices of today's new records. I ended up thinking they are not all that high. The Sam Goody's ad from 1973 at the top is for the Led Zeppelin catalog, that at the time consisted of five LPs. The list price was $4.98. The sale price (if you brought in the advertisement) was $3.49. Sounds cheap, no? Well, no.
In today's dollars that $4.98 list price is $29.21. The $3.49 sale price is $20.47. So really today's "average record" prices are comparable and not really high. Consider the prices of Blue Note's "Tone Poet" series or the "Verve/Acoustic Sounds" series that sell for around $34. These are better sourced, pressed and packaged than most 70s era records selling for a comparable price.
and how since each record was around 37 bucks so compared so its not overpriced... ignoring the obvious sticker shock you might notice when you see 450 dollars for a box set. or the fact that though yeah the price is on par with something like a tone poet, you can still get high quality pressings of either individual audiophile reissues OR original pressings.

and how since each record was around 37 bucks so compared so its not overpriced... ignoring the obvious sticker shock you might notice when you see 450 dollars for a box set. or the fact that though yeah the price is on par with something like a tone poet, you can still get high quality pressings of either individual audiophile reissues OR original pressings.

That argument also ignores that a box set usually brings *down* the $/record, not increases or matches the individual cost. I bought the Kinks Mono box (from VMP) - 9 albums/10 LPs for $160. Luna's Long Players (5 albums plus a 6th LP of demos/rarities) was $108 with shipping. They can't all work out that well, but this level of inflation isn't justifiable... even with a podcast.

Last edited:

As an owner of the Grateful Dead box I'm going to stick up for it. Looking past the issues I have the box is a balls out blinder. I've come to appreciate that I've chunked down for a wider package (I.e. The bombproof brick that the albums are packaged in) as well as the overall presentation of the individual albums. Generally, and I don't have the MOFIs, the individual albums sound fan-effing-tastic. The issue I have (and a couple of others) is that there are particular pressing issues with a load of my box which means my experience is to listen to pure gold or pure dog shit. If theyd not screwed the pooch on pressing defects it would probably be the most impressive 'whole' package I own. It looks and feels awesome

It's easy to chuck shit at this one. It's a massive target after all. but having considered it all I'm not disappointed I bought it. I think it's great in theory. I'm disappointed that 8 of my 14 lps are fucked. And once replaced (which VMP are doing) I'll be happy with it and will spin the bollocks out of it.

As an owner of the Grateful Dead box I'm going to stick up for it. Looking past the issues I have the box is a balls out blinder. I've come to appreciate that I've chunked down for a wider package (I.e. The bombproof brick that the albums are packaged in) as well as the overall presentation of the individual albums. Generally, and I don't have the MOFIs, the individual albums sound fan-effing-tastic. The issue I have (and a couple of others) is that there are particular pressing issues with a load of my box which means my experience is to listen to pure gold or pure dog shit. If theyd not screwed the pooch on pressing defects it would probably be the most impressive 'whole' package I own. It looks and feels awesome

It's easy to chuck shit at this one. It's a massive target after all. but having considered it all I'm not disappointed I bought it. I think it's great in theory. I'm disappointed that 8 of my 14 lps are fucked. And once replaced (which VMP are doing) I'll be happy with it and will spin the bollocks out of it.
Hey @Rowan did you see my post above about the Live Dead jacket? You mind having a look?

Back