Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I’m guessing this will be 400 or 425 regular price and then around 360 or so VMP member price. Since VMP store and Anthology are both on Shopify now, I don’t know that there will be a code...think it will just be members price.

I can’t actually envision what would be in the box to justify me paying anywhere near that price. Im a Herbie fan but have good pressings of most of my favorite albums of his. And the ones I don’t have, I don’t entirely feel the need to drop that amount of money on. I’d probably spring for a better Empyrean Islands and Maiden Voyage but unless the box is like $250, I’m probably out on this one.

Im glad people are really excited about it though! It’s a great choice for an anthology and hoping they have some great picks. I think it would be kinda hard to screw up.

Just wondering people's thoughts as to whether Empyrean Isles is gonna get a Tone Poet style repress? A decent copy has been elusive so I think I'd rather hope and wait rather than spend big on the box set.

Just wondering people's thoughts as to whether Empyrean Isles is gonna get a Tone Poet style repress? A decent copy has been elusive so I think I'd rather hope and wait rather than spend big on the box set.
Seems possibly still tied up by Music Matters license wise, but I think it will get a more reasonable reissue again eventually. Hard to say how long. I love that one and picked it up back when MM was reasonable.

Dead set was 14 LPs, this one is supposed to be only 8 LP right? That should mean it’s not quite as much as the Dead set, probably similar to the Stax set maybe a smidge more

I think all those Music Matters flagship blue notes will eventually get a nice reissueby Blue Note, but it won’t be anytime soon. Probably a few years at least

Dead set was 14 LPs, this one is supposed to be only 8 LP right? That should mean it’s not quite as much as the Dead set, probably similar to the Stax set maybe a smidge more
Hopefully it's not too far off priced the Stax Anthology boxset! I think it will be close to the Motown Anthology Boxset though (USD$350).

Except the price bump. I’m skeptical because this was supposed to be released in August, and it seems there was a delay. I wonder if that had anything to do with the recent changes. I don’t think it’ll be the same as the Dead for that reason, but who knows.

Except the price bump. I’m skeptical because this was supposed to be released in August, and it seems there was a delay. I wonder if that had anything to do with the recent changes. I don’t think it’ll be the same as the Dead for that reason, but who knows.

Yeah, but with the price bump I'm expecting maybe $44ish per record instead of $35. $480 would be like $56 per LP which is absurd even for the VMP price-bump standards.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this Elemental press of Empyrean Isles?

I have a couple of other Elemental presses and I'm pretty happy with them. Just seems like it's way more affordable than the other options out there (other than the BN75, but I don't think most folks want to go for that).

I’m guessing this will be 400 or 425 regular price and then around 360 or so VMP member price. Since VMP store and Anthology are both on Shopify now, I don’t know that there will be a code...think it will just be members price.

I can’t actually envision what would be in the box to justify me paying anywhere near that price. Im a Herbie fan but have good pressings of most of my favorite albums of his. And the ones I don’t have, I don’t entirely feel the need to drop that amount of money on. I’d probably spring for a better Empyrean Islands and Maiden Voyage but unless the box is like $250, I’m probably out on this one.

Im glad people are really excited about it though! It’s a great choice for an anthology and hoping they have some great picks. I think it would be kinda hard to screw up.

1600649971664.png

Didn't Herbie himself curate the contents of this box set? So it's possible that what's desirable to fans/record collectors may not be what's desirable to the man himself.

I guess what I'm saying is... 180g AAA pressing of Lite Me Up
Didn’t Herbie Hancock say Maiden Voyage or Empryean Isles was his favourite album he recorded @Selaws ? Which surely means one of the two (whichever is his favourite album under his name) will be picked to go in the Boxset! 🙌

Let’s hope we don’t get any duds like Lift Me Up in the Boxset lmao! 🤣

Speaking of Herbie, I’m pretty excited for the My Point of View Tone Poet coming in a couple weeks. That’ll be a nice addition to the Herbie catalog.

Also, what about Directstep? Get On Down did the digital source release last year, but hasn’t been repressed from bettter sources since it’s release in ‘79. Always liked that one and the cover art.

I'll stick close to my original guesses, but I'll shift a little as I think Herbie had some say in it, and I would guess we get Maiden Voyage, Speak Like A Child, and River: The Joni Letters as Herbie has spoken highly of those in a few interviews I've read. The fact Head Hunters is in the Spotify link makes me think we are getting that, despite it being the easiest audiophile Herbie album to get. Intrigued to see and hear which albums are in it, the pressing #, and the cost.

Maiden Voyage (Blue Note Leader)
Empyrean Isles Speak Like a Child (More Blue Note Leader)
Live at the Plugged Nickel (Miles' 2nd Quintet)
Sextant Head Hunters (Jazz-Funk Fusion)
VSOP (VSOP)
Future Shock (80s Herbie)
Dis is Da Drum (90s Herbie)
Gershwin's World River: The Joni Letters (Elder Statesman Herbie)

Back