Vinyl Accessories?

• Thread starter Black Sheep Audio
  • Start date
Force scale inquiry for the peanut gallery.

So I have one of the multi-branded scaled off Amazon, had it for years, works great. The other day I checked my VTF, I do occasionally because it does seem to drift a bit. When I dropped the stylus it started reading, but kept creeping up .01g every second or two and finally kind of settle in, sometimes it takes so long to stop adjusting it goes into it's sleep mode. I did replace the batteries with no change.

All that said, I'm like "ah well, something's jacked, it's cheap and easy to replace", so I did, ordered the same type and got the new one today...........AND IT'S DOING THE SAME THING!

Any idea??
typical made in china crap out

Force scale inquiry for the peanut gallery.

So I have one of the multi-branded scaled off Amazon, had it for years, works great. The other day I checked my VTF, I do occasionally because it does seem to drift a bit. When I dropped the stylus it started reading, but kept creeping up .01g every second or two and finally kind of settle in, sometimes it takes so long to stop adjusting it goes into it's sleep mode. I did replace the batteries with no change.

All that said, I'm like "ah well, something's jacked, it's cheap and easy to replace", so I did, ordered the same type and got the new one today...........AND IT'S DOING THE SAME THING!

Any idea??
The plot thickens...........

As much as these may be "typical made in china crap", they work. That being said, oddly enough this problem does not occur on the PLX.....so it's not the scale. I mean, it's a scale, the object on it isn't moving, so what could the "difference" be between the 2?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

As much as these may be "typical made in china crap", they work. That being said, oddly enough this problem does not occur on the PLX.....so it's not the scale. I mean, it's a scale, the object on it isn't moving, so what could the "difference" be between the 2?

I would assume something about the cue lever mechanism. There may be some minuscule amount of play that’s taking some time to work itself out.

That said, unless the total drift is a meaningful amount I would not really worry about it.

I would assume something about the cue lever mechanism. There may be some minuscule amount of play that’s taking some time to work itself out.

That said, unless the total drift is a meaningful amount I would not really worry about it.
Very possible, the cue lever does have a "soft" drop, so it might be. That said, agreed, not loosing sleep over it, it take a little longer to dial in but I can get it to stick at a +/- .01 so no harm no foul, just odd because it's never acted like that before.

Uh oh, I think your Ultradeck is becoming sentient. GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE!

Mystery solved thanks to @kvetcha's comment, I'm gonna blame the slight cloudiness I have post COVID, or I'm just getting old. I was measuring with the cue lever in it's upright position, moving it down as it would be during playback made the floating readout go away.

Man, is this really the hobby for me going forward, getting old sucks, lol

Mystery solved thanks to @kvetcha's comment, I'm gonna blame the slight cloudiness I have post COVID, or I'm just getting old. I was measuring with the cue lever in it's upright position, moving it down as it would be during playback made the floating readout go away.

Man, is this really the hobby for me going forward, getting old sucks, lol
Hey. The other day I put the needle down on a record and there was no sound. I turned my speakers & amp on and off twice before I realized the turntable was off and the record wasn’t spinning.

Handmade leather mat from the fine folks at Shinola for evaluation. Nice subtle improvements overall in micro detail, air around instruments, less noise, and blacker background compared to felt mat and certainly less static. For anyone else using leather did you have to double tape or Vaseline your leather mat to the platter ? Initially mine would pull off with the record but seems to stay down on it's own fairly well now.

20210219_200202.jpg

Last edited:
So my record weight has, what I can only assume is ball bearings on the bottom. Any idea on the scientific principles being manipulated to warrant this?

IMG_4162 copy.jpg
IMG_4163 copy.jpg

Last edited:
It looks cool and got you to buy it? 😎
This is most likely it! It is a small boutique place and he doesn't do promotion and there is literally no copy at all for it on his website. Well, it is very well made and heavy...I guess that is all I need in a record weight!! :D

All black Michell Reflex Clamp on my VPI. $50 shipped on sale from Artech. It is smaller than I thought would be. After first listen seems to do a good job at stabilizing the image and soundstage, more solid low end, darker background. I'm sure it will do a good job flattening records slightly warped as well.

20210306_092535.jpg

20210305_134952.jpg

20210305_134956.jpg

Last edited:
Back