Vinyl Accessories?

• Thread starter Black Sheep Audio
  • Start date
I use a zerodust and I do trust @HiFi Guy . I did use a magic eraser for some time. I found that over time, I was getting a weird white fuzz over my stylus. I also understand that Hifi has seen bent cantilevers with the zerodust and I could see how that could happen. I honestly believe the same could happen with a magic eraser. Care is the key. For a while I did it every side and then every record. I only do it now every session, unless I notice some fuzz (usually from a record I haven’t cleaned in the spin clean since I got the zerodust - which means it goes to the cleaning shelf) or if there is static. I’ve found that it doesn’t need the every side treatment over time.

I agree there is no right or wrong here, all these options will work, it boils down to personal opinion/preference and budget to be honest. I don't think a trust issue is even a consideration when we're talking about @HiFi Guy, you don't have to agree with him, but have no doubt that any option he puts forward is one worth considering. I have a ZeroDust and Hudsons version, I use the Hudson version on my UD because of it's low profile, it works off the platter, the ZeroDust is a bit of a pain on the UD.

That being said, here's my "Starter Kit" -
  • Protractor (I would recommend the mirrored version), I have a GEO disc I use, but a protractor like this would be bare minimum.
  • VTA level
  • VTF Scale
  • Hudsons version of the Zero Dust ($20, works the same exact way) I also use a liquid stylus cleaner (MoFI LP-9 Check your manufacturer's recommendations to see if you can use a "wet" cleaner so you don't un-glue your stylus) every so often.
20200906_081722.jpg

I would also agree with @Lee Newman, regardless of what you use or do, take the time to do it properly, I know that sounds stupid, but I've seen some pretty boneheaded approaches to the simplest of tasks. ;)

I agree there is no right or wrong here, all these options will work, it boils down to personal opinion/preference and budget to be honest. I don't think a trust issue is even a consideration when we're talking about @HiFi Guy, you don't have to agree with him, but have no doubt that any option he puts forward is one worth considering. I have a ZeroDust and Hudsons version, I use the Hudson version on my UD because of it's low profile, it works off the platter, the ZeroDust is a bit of a pain on the UD.

• Protractor (I would recommend the mirrored version), I have a GEO disc I use, but a protractor like this would be bare minimum.
  • VTA level
  • VTF Scale
  • Hudsons version of the Zero Dust ($20, works the same exact way) I also use a liquid stylus cleaner (MoFI LP-9 Check your manufacturer's recommendations to see if you can use a "wet" cleaner so you don't un-glue your stylus) every so often.
View attachment 64997

I would also agree with @Lee Newman, regardless of what you use or do, take the time to do it properly, I know that sounds stupid, but I've seen some pretty boneheaded approaches to the simplest of tasks. ;)
May have to check out the Hudson one. The zerodust causes issues on the orbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the Hudson look allot like those Moongel Drum gel pads you can pick up for a few bucks ?

I have read tha Zerodust can dry out in a few years, but that could be down to environment certainly.
It all falls into the same category, it's all basically the same type of thing. Just depends on what you feel comfortable using I guess. There are a few things I have noticed over the years with cleaning the stylus, when I had a Spin Clean, which I think is a great entry level into cleaning and does a great job, I did have more "debris" on my stylus on a regular basis, I think the SC leaves some residue on the album and rinsing becomes more important, which I know a lot of people do after running them through the SC, but could never understand those that rinsed them in the sink after the SC........doesn't that defeat a bit of the process?

Ever since going to a record vacuum I usually clean the stylus before each "session" and there's just a bit, if any sign of dust and or debris. With the Zero Dust and the Hudson version, you should clean it regularly and let dry 24 hours before using, I think the water/cleaning helps preserve the "stickyness" of the dome.

It all falls into the same category, it's all basically the same type of thing. Just depends on what you feel comfortable using I guess. There are a few things I have noticed over the years with cleaning the stylus, when I had a Spin Clean, which I think is a great entry level into cleaning and does a great job, I did have more "debris" on my stylus on a regular basis, I think the SC leaves some residue on the album and rinsing becomes more important, which I know a lot of people do after running them through the SC, but could never understand those that rinsed them in the sink after the SC........doesn't that defeat a bit of the process?

Ever since going to a record vacuum I usually clean the stylus before each "session" and there's just a bit, if any sign of dust and or debris. With the Zero Dust and the Hudson version, you should clean it regularly and let dry 24 hours before using, I think the water/cleaning helps preserve the "stickyness" of the dome.
I never rinse after Spin Clean but sounds like it could be a good step to add but not sure the best way to pull out off without wasting too much distilled water. maybe putting distilled water in a spray bottle and spritzing down the record after going through the Spin Clean would work?

I never rinse after Spin Clean but sounds like it could be a good step to add but not sure the best way to pull out off without wasting too much distilled water. maybe putting distilled water in a spray bottle and spritzing down the record after going through the Spin Clean would work?
Ya, I'm not sure. I know some people have gotten 2 SC, one for cleaning and one for rinsing, although that seems like a waste, your taking whatever build up and rubbing it back into the grooves. Also, at that point you can probably get a nice entry level RCM. The rinsing off in the sink just never made sense to me.

The spray bottle would be worth a try, just watch the label.

Anyone happen to be able to i.d. the larger wood record weight here on this vintage Dual rig ?

dc391363-f6d3-48e0-929b-8406a7c65602.jpg

• VTA level
  • VTF Scale
View attachment 64997

I grabbed the Hudson Hi Fi Record Brush off Amazon. $13 w/ free prime 2 day. Good write-ups and let me get a few $5 albums at the shop.

Trying both magic eraser and blu tac on my vintage Shure's for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Force scale inquiry for the peanut gallery.

So I have one of the multi-branded scaled off Amazon, had it for years, works great. The other day I checked my VTF, I do occasionally because it does seem to drift a bit. When I dropped the stylus it started reading, but kept creeping up .01g every second or two and finally kind of settle in, sometimes it takes so long to stop adjusting it goes into it's sleep mode. I did replace the batteries with no change.

All that said, I'm like "ah well, something's jacked, it's cheap and easy to replace", so I did, ordered the same type and got the new one today...........AND IT'S DOING THE SAME THING!

Any idea??

Force scale inquiry for the peanut gallery.

So I have one of the multi-branded scaled off Amazon, had it for years, works great. The other day I checked my VTF, I do occasionally because it does seem to drift a bit. When I dropped the stylus it started reading, but kept creeping up .01g every second or two and finally kind of settle in, sometimes it takes so long to stop adjusting it goes into it's sleep mode. I did replace the batteries with no change.

All that said, I'm like "ah well, something's jacked, it's cheap and easy to replace", so I did, ordered the same type and got the new one today...........AND IT'S DOING THE SAME THING!

Any idea??
Is there a microwave oven in the vicinity?

I use this simple air blower to get rid of hair/dust, after it's been zapped and loosened by my ZeroStat gun. I can't remember if I saw it suggested on another vinyl forum or the idea came to me organically while watching dust/hair re-cling itself to a record as I brushed it after a zap.

Last edited:
Back