Vintage Equipment

Looks really clean.
it does but you see what they want for the whole package? my guess is they want $300+ for the H/K and that's not happening. So, why no love for the pioneer's I listed (838 and/or 727)? I think I can get the 838 for $175 and the 727 for $150. I don't like the stupid speaker plug issue on the 727, so not seriously considering that one.

Also, with the understanding of WHO will be using this, what is the sweet spot in Watts that I need to be looking at?

Also, I have been conversing with a guy who does repair work. So what I really want is something that needs that TLC, but at a good price.

What is the budget?

The older Pioneers are getting too old. Some of the 50 series units are getting hard to source some parts (transistors) but there are workarounds because people love them and have figured it out.

The workarounds aren’t there for the earlier models that I’ve seen.

In the lower price ranges, I’d buy a new Onkyo and call it a day.

What is the budget?

The older Pioneers are getting too old. Some of the 50 series units are getting hard to source some parts (transistors) but there are workarounds because people love them and have figured it out.

The workarounds aren’t there for the earlier models that I’ve seen.

In the lower price ranges, I’d buy a new Onkyo and call it a day.
$350 top end for a unit that has been services and maybe recapped.
Ideally...$125-$200* for a unit that needs work.
* obviously there are exceptions to the rule. Really want best bang for the buck, considering the unit WILL need work done to it. And that will not be cheap.

The guy wants $275 for the HK 330C. BUT...its been serviced and recapped!
See @Ginormousthumbs ...what I am finding in the open marketplace is Vintage with No work done for insane prices.

I feel like anything under $300 for something that has been serviced is fair. I see the usual suspects daily on either eBay or FB Marketplace go for nutso prices. I have 2 receivers that I’ve paid $250 shipped for and that’s typically my threshold.

I feel like anything under $300 for something that has been serviced is fair. I see the usual suspects daily on either eBay or FB Marketplace go for nutso prices. I have 2 receivers that I’ve paid $250 shipped for and that’s typically my threshold.
and if you goto audiokarma you see the same stuff that was half the price just 5 years ago!

The hobby is growing and vintage is in demand. The market value of my speakers has doubled in the last year.
no argument there @kvetcha . My wallet would be more open to paying more IF some of this stuff was better than "serviced". The owners of said equipment don't understand that to fix this stuff ain't cheap. Lol I love when I read...powers on, lights work, sound coming out of both channels. uh...what about snap, crackle, and pop?! Rant off.

@HiFi Guy last question about this...promise. I am going to check out the H/K tomorrow. The add said recapped. I know there is a lot to be serviced and recapped. What specifically do I need to look for in the recapping?

@HiFi Guy last question about this...promise. I am going to check out the H/K tomorrow. The add said recapped. I know there is a lot to be serviced and recapped. What specifically do I need to look for in the recapping?

The main thing to look for are the largest filter caps in the power supply. Do they look fresh/recent?

I’m not a big fan of that Pioneer series. Look towards the x50s- SX-750 (45 watts x 2) or the SX- 850 (60 Watts x 2).

Better yet, check out some vintage Harman/Kardon units. They sound fantastic and aren’t overpriced like the Marantz or Pioneer.
@HiFi Guy my local repair guy said he can only work on the x50 line or newer. So there you have it...vintage don’t mean much now. Thank you for that pointer. He claimed parts as the reason. You da man!

Things have a great way of working out...picked up the HK 330c today and it was the best CL experience one could ask for. The seller is a retired music composer and producer. Upon walking into his house I could not miss the concert grand piano in his living room. Then his listening room was hot fire. He had 3 separate systems set up and it was heaven. He had a giant set of Altecs in one system and he was ready for my demo with the system he was trying to sell. I am pleased and will post some pics when I have it set up.

Things have a great way of working out...picked up the HK 330c today and it was the best CL experience one could ask for. The seller is a retired music composer and producer. Upon walking into his house I could not miss the concert grand piano in his living room. Then his listening room was hot fire. He had 3 separate systems set up and it was heaven. He had a giant set of Altecs in one system and he was ready for my demo with the system he was trying to sell. I am pleased and will post some pics when I have it set up.

Wow. Seems like a good friend to have...

I had just messaged you about it. I never seen the white face 330C, just the most popular silver/black, and a few all black. Supposed to be a great 20W or so and phono stage of vintage ss warmness. I almost bit on a couple different ones on fleabay but wasn't sure what would arrive. The 430 and 760 ? are supposed to be good as well, perhaps a little less intimate sounding. But as you can see above found another gem with much the same story as you. Seller was gentleman and a peach who was using big Klipsch Belle horns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back