Vintage Equipment

Dual guy from Iowa pointed me towards the 1219. I have time on that front, so will wait to see what needs to be done to the Marantz first. I will say an Auto/semi auto table is a MUST have at this point. Daughter is 21 yo and I am sure will need this feature. Also, the Marantz does not have the wood paneling. No biggie. I hope it arrives this week. I am getting excited. I hope to have it up and running by the weekend.

There are companies out there who make new wood cabinets for the old marantz amplifiers if that is something that is of interest? I was able to find them easily enough just through google a few years back when I was looking.

Dual guy from Iowa pointed me towards the 1219. I have time on that front, so will wait to see what needs to be done to the Marantz first. I will say an Auto/semi auto table is a MUST have at this point. Daughter is 21 yo and I am sure will need this feature. Also, the Marantz does not have the wood paneling. No biggie. I hope it arrives this week. I am getting excited. I hope to have it up and running by the weekend.
Ahhh, I did a photo search for the Marantz and I musta looked at the wrong one. Sorry :(

Just picked up my Dual 1019 from the local repair guy. All cleaned up, re-lubed, setup. I also have vintage KLH speakers and now hope to continue my quest with a nice vintage integrated or receiver. A Marantz would sure be nice but open to finding something.

Hoping to make a nice custom plinth for it this winter among a few other things.

Just picked up my Dual 1019 from the local repair guy. All cleaned up, re-lubed, setup. I also have vintage KLH speakers and now hope to continue my quest with a nice vintage integrated or receiver. A Marantz would sure be nice but open to finding something.

Hoping to make a nice custom plinth for it this winter among a few other things.

Here she is

20200903_190427.jpg

the marantz deal did not work out. Lesson learned. As a matter of fact I got scammed! Three weeks after sending money no receiver in hand. Who would have know such assholes exist in the vintage selling world. There’s a place in hell for the guy who screwed me over.

the marantz deal did not work out. Lesson learned. As a matter of fact I got scammed! Three weeks after sending money no receiver in hand. Who would have know such assholes exist in the vintage selling world. There’s a place in hell for the guy who screwed me over.

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Did you answer an ad in Craigslist by chance? There’s a vintage audio scammer there that often posts pictures of a beautiful Marantz 2270 with a suspiciously low price. He’s been at it for years.

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Did you answer an ad in Craigslist by chance? There’s a vintage audio scammer there that often posts pictures of a beautiful Marantz 2270 with a suspiciously low price. He’s been at it for years.
@HiFi Guy you would be correct. I have been buying/selling used electronics for years and this is the first time I have been dupped. F' that guy. We were actually conversing about the purpose of the receiver. There's a special place in hell for that guy. I guess it could have been worse and more $$$.

Sooo...in search of a replacement to my botched Marantz purchase, I am oft reminded of a house search I was conducting for over 2 years, and finally made last summer. Idiots who know the product needs work, yet still want me to pay a premium for said product. I am absolutely amazed at the "vintage" electronics market. These sellers are clueless as to what it will cost to have this product recapped, cleaned, etc. SMDH. I will prevail, though. Since I got screwed over, I am determined to find a deal! Carry on, lad!

@HiFi Guy quick question for you...I am looking at receivers in the low wattage area (say 30-65 W) to drive my JBL L36's. Keeping in mind this system is for a college student, who at one point in time or another, will "TURN IT UP MAN!". With this in mind, do I need to be seeking another High Wattage receiver, like the Marantz 2270? I have my eye on two Pioneers (one sx 727 (asking $250) and a SX 838 (asking $200)). Neither of which have had any work done, so NFW am I paying asking on these.

Last edited:
Sooo...in search of a replacement to my botched Marantz purchase, I am oft reminded of a house search I was conducting for over 2 years, and finally made last summer. Idiots who know the product needs work, yet still want me to pay a premium for said product. I am absolutely amazed at the "vintage" electronics market. These sellers are clueless as to what it will cost to have this product recapped, cleaned, etc. SMDH. I will prevail, though. Since I got screwed over, I am determined to find a deal! Carry on, lad!

@HiFi Guy quick question for you...I am looking at receivers in the low wattage area (say 30-65 W) to drive my JBL L36's. Keeping in mind this system is for a college student, who at one point in time or another, will "TURN IT UP MAN!". With this in mind, do I need to be seeking another High Wattage receiver, like the Marantz 2270? I have my eye on two Pioneers (one sx 727 (asking $250) and a SX 838 (asking $200)). Neither of which have had any work done, so NFW am I paying asking on these.

I’m not a big fan of that Pioneer series. Look towards the x50s- SX-750 (45 watts x 2) or the SX- 850 (60 Watts x 2).

Better yet, check out some vintage Harman/Kardon units. They sound fantastic and aren’t overpriced like the Marantz or Pioneer.

I’m not a big fan of that Pioneer series. Look towards the x50s- SX-750 (45 watts x 2) or the SX- 850 (60 Watts x 2).

Better yet, check out some vintage Harman/Kardon units. They sound fantastic and aren’t overpriced like the Marantz or Pioneer.
There is a cherry/minty H/K local to me. Its a H/K 330C. Again, back to the wattage question, bc that one is fairly low wattage?

Also, I cannot afford the SX X50 series. They are going for mad money on the web. Like STUPID money! F' that. There is a local guy selling one, a SX 850, for $650. And all he says is "serviced". Well for that $$ he can service my...!@&#!!!

There is a cherry/minty H/K local to me. Its a H/K 330C. Again, back to the wattage question, bc that one is fairly low wattage?

Also, I cannot afford the SX X50 series. They are going for mad money on the web. Like STUPID money! F' that. There is a local guy selling one, a SX 850, for $650. And all he says is "serviced". Well for that $$ he can service my...!@&#!!!

The H/K 330C was the sweet spot in that line sound wise. I really like them. I had a 730 for a while that I liked.

I am building up that system for my 21 y.o. step daughter, who now has a crossley. Will be using a very good A- condition JBL L36's speakers. Pics are above for reference.

You’ll certainly be able to drive them without issue. My concern would be someone pushing the amp too hard for loud listening and causing the amp to overdrive/go into clipping. Clipping amps kill tweeters.

You’ll certainly be able to drive them without issue. My concern would be someone pushing the amp too hard for loud listening and causing the amp to overdrive/go into clipping. Clipping amps kill tweeters.
So this is my issue. I can teach the lovely daughter how to properly use the system, but she's in college and you know the rest. Someone see's bright shiny lights and knobs and presto - Clip!!! Is there any way to prevent that?

So this is my issue. I can teach the lovely daughter how to properly use the system, but she's in college and you know the rest. Someone see's bright shiny lights and knobs and presto - Clip!!! Is there any way to prevent that?
found some ratings for the JBL's

Power rating: 35 W
Maximum power: 50 W

Back