Vintage Equipment

Here's a work-in-progress system I've been assembling for the last couple of months.

I've been in Marietta, Georgia, since January, helping my Mom with declining health and transition into assisted living.

Music is so soothing and de-stressing for me, I knew early in my arrival that I needed to put something together, and streaming Qobuz high-resolution would be sufficient to bring my favorite music into the house to enjoy at the end of busy days.

I found and purchased the core components within a few days of checking Facebook Marketplace.

• $360 for the Luxman gear (receiver, CD player, and tape deck). [haven't even turned on the tape deck, and the CD player's drawer won't open - I'm going to take it apart and try to replace the belt inside, whenever I have a free afternoon to do so slowly and patiently]
  • $225 to have the Luxman receiver serviced for static-y volume and balance knobs (a common problem for these units).
  • $106 for Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers.
  • $300 or so for the WiiM plus assorted cables, etc.

All-in, I came in under $1,000 for the entire budget system, including the receiver repair work, and all the various modest cables and wires to hook it all up.

However, while the system sounds amazing at around 50-60 dB - with tube-ish warmth throughout the range (clarification: the R-115 is solid-state, not tubes), the warmth disappears at higher volumes, replaced with sound that is relatively harsh and grating.

I posted on the Steve Hoffman Forums about my dilemma and got a variety of suggestions.

The room I've set this system up in is about 12 feet by 20 feet, with 7 feet tall ceiling, and to one side it opens up to an adjacent dining room. One suggestion is that the Luxman R-115 receiver's 70 watts and 3 dB of headroom aren't sufficient to drive the 87 dB 6 Ohm Pioneer speakers

For my first experiment at improving the sound I'm waiting on the arrival in a few days of a pair of Outlaw Audio Model 2220 Monoblock Power Amplifiers, for under $800 total, shipped. These offer a "conservative" 200 watts of power.

If these more powerful monoblocks can't effectively drive the Pioneer speakers (hopefully while retaining most of the Luxman receiver's warmth, even while I'm bypassing Luxman's amplifier via the pre-out jacks?) then I'll have to turn my attention to other suggestions.

Regardless of the tweaks that may or may not improve it, the sound at lower volumes remains a delight to listen to, and for that I've been grateful for the opportunities that vintage equipment presents for assembling a pleasing budget system.
View attachment 198918View attachment 198919View attachment 198920View attachment 198921
Luxman makes black gear! 👀

Here's a work-in-progress system I've been assembling for the last couple of months.

I've been in Marietta, Georgia, since January, helping my Mom with declining health and transition into assisted living.

Music is so soothing and de-stressing for me, I knew early in my arrival that I needed to put something together, and streaming Qobuz high-resolution would be sufficient to bring my favorite music into the house to enjoy at the end of busy days.

I found and purchased the core components within a few days of checking Facebook Marketplace.

• $360 for the Luxman gear (receiver, CD player, and tape deck). [haven't even turned on the tape deck, and the CD player's drawer won't open - I'm going to take it apart and try to replace the belt inside, whenever I have a free afternoon to do so slowly and patiently]
  • $225 to have the Luxman receiver serviced for static-y volume and balance knobs (a common problem for these units).

All-in, I came in under $1,000 for the entire budget system, including the receiver repair work, and all the various modest cables and wires to hook it all up.

However, while the system sounds amazing at around 50-60 dB - with tube-ish warmth throughout the range (clarification: the R-115 is solid-state, not tubes), the warmth disappears at higher volumes, replaced with sound that is relatively harsh and grating.

I posted on the Steve Hoffman Forums about my dilemma and got a variety of suggestions.

The room I've set this system up in is about 12 feet by 20 feet, with 7 feet tall ceiling, and to one side it opens up to an adjacent dining room. One suggestion is that the Luxman R-115 receiver's 70 watts and 3 dB of headroom aren't sufficient to drive the 87 dB 6 Ohm Pioneer speakers

For my first experiment at improving the sound I'm waiting on the arrival in a few days of a pair of Outlaw Audio Model 2220 Monoblock Power Amplifiers, for under $800 total, shipped. These offer a "conservative" 200 watts of power.

If these more powerful monoblocks can't effectively drive the Pioneer speakers (hopefully while retaining most of the Luxman receiver's warmth, even while I'm bypassing Luxman's amplifier via the pre-out jacks?) then I'll have to turn my attention to other suggestions.

Regardless of the tweaks that may or may not improve it, the sound at lower volumes remains a delight to listen to, and for that I've been grateful for the opportunities that vintage equipment presents for assembling a pleasing budget system.
View attachment 198918View attachment 198919View attachment 198920View attachment 198921
Can't help with your question, but I saw some of that gear on marketplace. I'm in the Marietta area too.

I can totally relate to the comfort music can bring. It's great that you are finding a (fun!) way to care for yourself while you help your mom with this undoubtedly difficult transition.

Back