Upcoming/Recent Shows

I had the chance to see Bjork on her opening date at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A., and had a surreal experience :)

I got to the event right before 6pm - I was walking from the right side that lead to the front doors and noticed that security was set up with people lined up on the far opposite (left) side of the building. Someone was unlocking the front entrance doors, so I just kept walking to the main entrance...and just went inside. No one said a word to me, and I was kind of puzzled at first, but interior security was being briefed and I wandered over to the merch table and just started chatting with the people working the table - I guess they assumed I was with Bjork's stage crew, and no one ever asked for credentials.

At this point, I figured - what the heck - I'll live out my early rebellious concert days and see if I can get up closer (I had a ticket way in the upper balcony). So, I walked past all the security (again) and went into the main auditorium:

View attachment 127596

...there were a few security staff in place, but the crew was setting sound levels and no one else was inside. I just kind of hung back and took it all in - until Bjork came in and walked past me and over to the sound board for a sound check! I walked behind her and the board and got to listen to her sing 2 songs, which was very cool:
View attachment 127600

...after she finished, I didn't want to ask for a photo with her and risk getting tossed out, so as she walked by I simply told her to have a great show, and she replied with a smile and a "thank you". Good enough for me :)

Now - I didn't really know what to do - I didn't want to leave the auditorium, so I kind of got on my phone and pretended to be talking about sound cues and looking up at speakers, etc. Totally lame, I know - but it let me literally walk past the guard at the pit floor entrance, and he never questioned me as I was talking out loud to no one on my phone about fake sound issues:

View attachment 127603

...I kind of stood in an unlit corner of the pit and just...waited :) No one ever came up to me, and I had to sweat it out for about 30 minutes until they opened the doors to the auditorium. When people started filling in the pit, I kind of disappeared into the crowd :

View attachment 127605

...Bjork had a no photo/no video policy in place, so while I was bummed out that I couldn't record being so close up, I snapped one photo quickly while I could:
View attachment 127610

The show was pretty damn amazing - she sounded wonderful - the set and costumes and visuals were stunning, and it was well worth the drive from Vegas to L.A. to see this one! :)
My goodness.

Saw Built To Spill(not pictured) & Dinosaur Jr last night. Pink Mountaintops was the opener but I missed them.
While BTS plays Las Vegas regularly, Dinosaur Jr hasn’t played here since 2005 so it was a big deal. Because this city is so weird with certain acts, I was expecting somewhere between 100-200 people but there were waaay more than that. Which is a great thing!
Anyway, BTS sounded great. I should probably give them more attention.
Jr was fantastic! Loud and to the point. Not much banter with the exception of Lou mentioning that it had been a long time since they’ve played here. Hopefully the turnout warrants a return visit. 🤞🏻

AA4253CB-D86F-424F-974A-C0488F84C0BC.jpeg

2 shows, one week. Lemme tell you all about it...

First up, Courtney Barnett with special guest Shamir at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC on February 2nd, 2022. The Australian indie pop-rock legend put on a fantastic, very chill show, showcasing some excellent guitar work and vocals that definitely show off her range, from soft-spoken soliloquies to belted, grungy tracks. Shamir was a fantastic opener, he has an incredible voice that stunned me. Definitely a new artist on my radar! Great sets, even if its not quite my type of music, I'm still very glad I went. Sold out show too!

CB's setlist: Courtney Barnett Setlist at 9:30 Club, Washington
I don't have Shamir's setlist, sadly

CourtneyBarnettDC2022.jpgShamirDC2022.jpg

Next up, much more in line with my regular music taste... finally got to see the Grammy-nominated Christian alternative metal/post-grunge legends Red do a headlining set, an acoustic one nonetheless! This was at the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on February 6th, 2022. This was my 5th Red show, with the others all being at festivals. The setlist consisted of primarily their older material, including a staggering 7 songs from their 2011 album, Until We Have Faces, which reached number 2 on the Billboard 200. They even told a story that the reason it didn't reach number 1 was because Nicki Minaj's record label bought 10,000 copies of her newest album last minute to kick Red out of the #1 spot. Crazy. They also pulled out other great songs, including a few tracks from Declaration, their newest record, and even a cover of Fuel's classic track "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)". The fantastic Keith Wallen, rhythm guitarist of Breaking Benjamin, opened for them, playing some of his excellent solo tracks, and a fascinating cover of "The Look" by Roxette. Amazing show, probably the best Red set I've seen yet! Was definitely less acoustic and more rock than I expected, but I'm fine with that!

Red's setlist: Red Setlist at The Capitol Room at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center, Harrisburg
KW's setlist: Keith Wallen Setlist at The Capitol Room at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center, Harrisburg

RedHarrisburg2022.jpg
KeithWallenHarrisburg2022.jpg

A bunch more pics are available on my Instagram @sjettfolk!

2 shows, one week. Lemme tell you all about it...

First up, Courtney Barnett with special guest Shamir at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC on February 2nd, 2022. The Australian indie pop-rock legend put on a fantastic, very chill show, showcasing some excellent guitar work and vocals that definitely show off her range, from soft-spoken soliloquies to belted, grungy tracks. Shamir was a fantastic opener, he has an incredible voice that stunned me. Definitely a new artist on my radar! Great sets, even if its not quite my type of music, I'm still very glad I went. Sold out show too!

CB's setlist: Courtney Barnett Setlist at 9:30 Club, Washington
I don't have Shamir's setlist, sadly

View attachment 128045View attachment 128046

Next up, much more in line with my regular music taste... finally got to see the Grammy-nominated Christian alternative metal/post-grunge legends Red do a headlining set, an acoustic one nonetheless! This was at the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on February 6th, 2022. This was my 5th Red show, with the others all being at festivals. The setlist consisted of primarily their older material, including a staggering 7 songs from their 2011 album, Until We Have Faces, which reached number 2 on the Billboard 200. They even told a story that the reason it didn't reach number 1 was because Nicki Minaj's record label bought 10,000 copies of her newest album last minute to kick Red out of the #1 spot. Crazy. They also pulled out other great songs, including a few tracks from Declaration, their newest record, and even a cover of Fuel's classic track "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)". The fantastic Keith Wallen, rhythm guitarist of Breaking Benjamin, opened for them, playing some of his excellent solo tracks, and a fascinating cover of "The Look" by Roxette. Amazing show, probably the best Red set I've seen yet! Was definitely less acoustic and more rock than I expected, but I'm fine with that!

Red's setlist: Red Setlist at The Capitol Room at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center, Harrisburg
KW's setlist: Keith Wallen Setlist at The Capitol Room at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center, Harrisburg

View attachment 128047
View attachment 128048

A bunch more pics are available on my Instagram @sjettfolk!
I'm sad I couldn't get tickets to the Courtney show! She can definitely shred.

Took my daughter to see Samia at a small venue the other night. I've enjoyed all of her releases, but was blown away by her poise and stage presence. A great performance, highly recommend catching her on this tour if you can. She will undoubtedly be playing larger venues her next go round.

Here is her cover of "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Went out to Portland to see Silvana Estrada promoting her new album Marchita. I was notified by @hatfieldpdx, which ended up being serendipitous to land on a day off! Only $12, least I've spent on a ticket for this year. Fantastic, lovely show. Her first time touring the USA!

Lineup was just her and two accompanying musicians (synth, and drums/percussion). Setlist went for a good ~80 minutes, with a roughly 20% of this being cute stage banter in between songs primarily in Spanish, although her English is fluent. I don't speak Spanish at all, so I didn't understand much of what was being communicated.

Encore had four songs!!! Closing number was Tenías Que Ser Tú, which I found after digging around a bit through her back discography. In a live setting, that song was even more festive and irresistible...with her band interacting on a call and response of the chorus melody with the audience extending the song's end for a few minutes. So fun!

No merch available at the end other than a tote bag. Silvana had mentioned somewhere in between songs that there was a issue with the individual who manages her merch but, again, it was mostly communicated in Spanish. I could only guess that a delay of a vinyl release was a part of that statement.

20220214_213417.jpg20220214_214105.jpg20220214_220819.jpg20220214_222015.jpg

The dazzling "Carta" from Marchita below, with some of that banter I mentioned:

Last edited:
Went out to Portland to see Silvana Estrada promoting her new album Marchita. I was notified by @hatfieldpdx, which ended up being serendipitous to land on a day off! Only $12, least I've spent on a ticket for this year. Fantastic, lovely show. Her first time touring the USA!

Lineup was just her and two accompanying musicians (synth, and drums/percussion). Setlist went for a good ~80 minutes, with a roughly 20% of this being cute stage banter in between songs primarily in Spanish, although her English is fluent. I don't speak Spanish at all, so I didn't understand much of what was being communicated.

Encore had four songs!!! Closing number was Tenías Que Ser Tú, which I found after digging around a bit through her back discography. In a live setting, that song was even more festive and irresistible...with her band interacting on a call and response of the chorus melody with the audience extending the song's end for a few minutes. So fun!

No merch available at the end other than a tote bag. Silvana had mentioned somewhere in between songs that there was a issue with the individual who manages her merch but, again, it was mostly communicated in Spanish. I could only guess that a delay of a vinyl release was a part of that statement.

View attachment 128924View attachment 128925View attachment 128927View attachment 128926

The dazzling "Carta" from Marchita below, with some of that banter I mentioned:

Man, she is just wonderful. I've had Marchita on repeat ever since it as released. Finger crossed for a vinyl release.

Quick nerdy side note: I watched that video you posted and I suddenly realized the song is on 5/4 time, which is super rare for such a catchy tune! The album is also filled with tracks on 3/4, which isn't really common on western pop music (unlike 6/8 time, which is somewhat standard), but is fairly usual in some forms of Latin American folk music.

I just find it amazing that the album is such an easy listen, yet it is packed with emotional and technical nuances like these.

Arooj Aftab for the second go-around in half a year. Just as good as the first time, if not better. Accompanied with an even more apropos (and superior, IMO) opening musician.

Also, the venue is beautiful on the interior and exterior! Only one floor; can't be any more than 300 seats. Forgot to take photos outside, but I will do so once I'm here again next week as I have another concert lined up there (Circuit Des Yeux).

20220219_190327.jpg20220219_190332.jpg20220219_190855.jpg

Luke Wyland

This gentleman's set composed of a single ~30min continuous avantgarde piano piece. He used a looping device to create overwhelming, enrapturing audio atmosphere with repeated piano chords. Very convincing, beautiful performance. Recommended.

20220219_204446.jpg20220219_204444.jpg

Arooj Aftab

A few changes to this set compared to the one back from last year, with Arooj's accompanying cast featuring one less member, leaving only Gyan Riley (classical guitar) and Maeve Gilchrist (harp). Both of their talents are 🔥, with Maeve stealing the show for me. Her set added on one additional song I did not recognize, with "Inayaat" (one of my faves) pushed back in the set as the encore piece. Even more solos between the two musicians, seemingly minutes long each. Even though the ensemble was late to stage time, they did not cut their ~70min set short, which was very appreciated.

She's always worth the ticket price.

20220219_213955.jpg
20220219_223013.jpg20220219_223008.jpg20220219_222959.jpg

Post-Show

Waited around and bought a T-shirt at the merch line. After wandering around a bit more, I caught Gyan talking to a few people and asked to get my copy of Vulture Prince signed after he was finished conversing, requesting that it be on the back of the jacket. Eventually got Arooj's signature as well after waiting ~5min or so, after requesting a staff member to take it behind the privacy doors. Very thankful.
Go see her when she stops by your city/town even if you're even mildly interested.

20220220_001630.jpg

Caribou tore the Roseland Theater down in Portland on Monday. Absolutely killer. Went with a friend and got situated just one row from the front of the barricade. 🔥

Ela Minus
Ela's set composition was mostly tracks from her album in 2020. Didn't listen to it in preparation for this show, so wasn't sure what to expect. Her mic was mixed very quiet with the implementation of her electronic overlays/loops, so I couldn't make out any vocals. Overall sounded akin to very clubby, dark progressive electronic or tech house. Fun set, though a few sections dragged a bit long for my liking. She even handed a camera to a dude in the front around the start of her set...but not sure what the reasoning or implication was for. He took a few selfies which prompted huddling from the surrounding concertgoers to strike a pose or whatever (including me). I think it was one of those disposable analog ones lol

20220221_211104.jpg20220221_213814.jpg

Caribou

Don't flame me for this, but I was not aware of Caribou at all prior to 2020 when N&G had hyped up Suddenly as an early anticipated album; love at first listen.
Dan and the boys played all the good stuff from Swim to Suddenly. "Sun" in particular was a phenomenal highlight that stretched to 15 minutes culminating with roughly eight minutes of thunderously roaring dueling drum solos. The lights were amazing from start to finish! Everyone was moving feverishly by the set's end.
I'm so glad that they finished with an encore of "Can't Do Without You," phenomenal track! Portland marked the final stop on the US tour, so the band extended the finale to ~10 minutes or so.

20220221_222105.jpg20220221_223232.jpg
20220221_225027.jpg20220221_231307.jpg

Saw Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas play last night, the first time they have performed as a duo in front of a live audience. Hard to believe, but I guess that’s what a pandemic will do.

In any case, incredible performance..two sets featuring many tracks from Force Majeure, a couple Alice Coltrane, a Dorothy Ashby tune, and a few others mixed in.

I spoke with both of them after the show. Dezron mentioned that his quartet has a new release coming out on International Anthem, likely in October. 🤞🏼

IMG_2226.JPG

Last edited:
Saw Dinosaur Jr. & Pink Mountaintops on 2/22.

Enjoyed Pink Mountaintops set, was pleasantly surprised to see Kilph Scurlock playing drums for them. He used to be the touring drummer for the Flaming Lips, and more recently Gruff Rhys, and he's a lot of fun to watch.

Dinosaur Jr was just what I needed. Had been a rough couple of days at work, so getting loud guitars & crashing drums was a welcome distraction. Set up right in front of J and his giant Marshall stack, amazing to watch him play. Dedicated the last song of the main set (Gargoyle?) to Mark Lanegan.

1645727639432.png

Saw Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas play last night, the first time they have performed as a duo in front of live audience. Hard to believe, but I guess that’s what a pandemic will do.

In any case, incredible performance..two sets featuring many tracks from Force Majeure, a couple Alice Coltrane, a Dorothy Ashby tune, and a few others mixed in.

I spoke with both of them after the show. Dezron mentioned that his quartet has a new release coming out on International Anthem, likely in October. 🤞🏼

View attachment 130163

Seemed like a very cover heavy set: Sesame Street theme, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Dionne Warwick, and Kate Bush along with the others you mentioned. This photo is convenient as 1) I don't have any from being asked to turn off cell phone at beginning of show and 2) sitting third row to the back.
I will share this new acquisition, tho:

20220223_230750.jpg

Seemed like a very cover heavy set: Sesame Street theme, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Dionne Warwick, and Kate Bush along with the others you mentioned. This photo is convenient as 1) I don't have any from being asked to turn off cell phone at beginning of show and 2) sitting third row to the back.
I will share this new acquisition, tho:

View attachment 130182
Nice, I got mine signed as well. Also had Dezron sign, as he produced the album. I heard it as an ask to silence phones, not to refrain from taking photos. As such, hope I didn't ruffle any feathers! On that note, my wife arrived late, so I had no shortage of folks asking if they could sit next to me during the first set.

Not sure if you are familiar with their album Force Majeure. It captures their living room sessions from lockdown, and was released on International Anthem in 2020. Great stuff - and yes, mostly covers. As Brandee mentioned, to make their parents happy, among other reasons.

Last edited:

Whenever I go to a show, I grab a couple of shots on my phone for the 'gram but I put that shit away and watch the vast majority of the show with my eyes. With how popular Mitski is right now and knowing the fanbase growth has come in from her popularity on TikTok, I can only imagine it's just a sea of phones from back to front in the audience.

Whenever I go to a show, I grab a couple of shots on my phone for the 'gram but I put that shit away and watch the vast majority of the show with my eyes. With how popular Mitski is right now and knowing the fanbase growth has come in from her popularity on TikTok, I can only imagine it's just a sea of phones from back to front in the audience.
The replies to her Twitter thread have some of the most unhinged takes. It’s amazing to see how many people were melting down over a simple request.

The replies to her Twitter thread have some of the most unhinged takes. It’s amazing to see how many people were melting down over a simple request.
I think there's an appropriate line that people can approach for what's considered an acceptable amount of recording and what's overdoing it. For shows where I've recorded a short video clip, I've gone back and watched them years later from when I've posted them. It's nice to revist that memory. But again, I'll take my phone out for a minute during one song to record or take a few pictures. Lots of people claiming bad memory... I don't know. I still think there's no need to record literally the whole show that I'm sure 25% of the audience is probably doing. With how big Mitski is, there's bound to be someone with a better camera that is recording the show for YouTube that you could easily go back and watch later. I think people are upset that they're getting called out by one of their favorite artists.

I think there's an appropriate line that people can approach for what's considered an acceptable amount of recording and what's overdoing it. For shows where I've recorded a short video clip, I've gone back and watched them years later from when I've posted them. It's nice to revist that memory. But again, I'll take my phone out for a minute during one song to record or take a few pictures. Lots of people claiming bad memory... I don't know. I still think there's no need to record literally the whole show that I'm sure 25% of the audience is probably doing. With how big Mitski is, there's bound to be someone with a better camera that is recording the show for YouTube that you could easily go back and watch later. I think people are upset that they're getting called out by one of their favorite artists.

The taper community would probably like a word with Ms. Mitski and would take issue with the concept that it can be "overdone". I'd be curious to hear @Yer Ol' Uncle D's thoughts on whether the fact this is video recording vs. the historically accepted audio recording changes the dynamics in a tapers mind.

Further, while this is not the hot take thread, and I am most definitely NOT the kind of person to do this - there is an argument to be made that with ticket prices/fees what they are "I'll enjoy the show they way I want to enjoy the show (as long as I'm not breaking the venues rules)."

What's next - hey I'm playing up here can you NOT hang out at the bar during my set?

I once was at a show and the performer got upset b/c people weren't standing and said something about it. I paid for the seat and Imma sit if I want to sit - especially if you are going to fill your set with a bunch of slow mid-tempo songs. (It was Jeff Tweedy BTW).

I dont know, I guess I have little patience for any performer who tells me how I'm supposed to be "enjoying" the show.

Back