Upcoming/Recent Shows

So, first show of the year was a lot of fun. Neal Francis Opening for Turkuaz.
11CCAF95-4104-4D39-A54A-BAA680FBC25E.jpeg52F3A456-0CB8-4CA0-BC76-C7B77B26C702.jpegF5F276CD-815E-453F-AB6B-D27182CEB18F.jpegF9A39813-F571-43EC-8128-CA90002A9F83.jpeg
Neal and his band were amazing. Turkuaz were fun. I’m not sure how I feel about them. They’re kind of like Talking Heads, They Might Be Giants and OK Go decided they wanted to join forces as a funk band and it all seems a little extra.

First proper show today in Cleveland seeing Iron & Wine and Calexico w/ Madison Cunningham. There was a radio event so got to watch the soundcheck and meet the band, which was really cool. Sam Beam is exactly the sweetheart I always imagined him being and said goodbye to us by name after a brief chat and signing our poster. They also soundchecked one of my favorite Iron & Wine songs "Naked As We Came", which was amazing. I'll admit I've never really checked out Calexico, nor was I a big fan of their latest collab album, so the show was just ok. There crowd was way too loud for such mellow music and the show could have benefited from being seated because standing and watching was just a bit boring and hard to vibe with. Madison Cunningham is a treasure and I really enjoyed her set. Bought the album finally and had her sign it.

IMG_20200201_173308.jpgIMG_20200201_200603.jpgIMG_20200201_211745.jpg

First proper show today in Cleveland seeing Iron & Wine and Calexico w/ Madison Cunningham. There was a radio event so got to watch the soundcheck and meet the band, which was really cool. Sam Beam is exactly the sweetheart I always imagined him being and said goodbye to us by name after a brief chat and signing our poster. They also soundchecked one of my favorite Iron & Wine songs "Naked As We Came", which was amazing. I'll admit I've never really checked out Calexico, nor was I a big fan of their latest collab album, so the show was just ok. There crowd was way too loud for such mellow music and the show could have benefited from being seated because standing and watching was just a bit boring and hard to vibe with. Madison Cunningham is a treasure and I really enjoyed her set. Bought the album finally and had her sign it.

View attachment 31234View attachment 31235View attachment 31236
Oh man, I'm sorry you didn't like it! I saw them last night and they were phenomenal. They rocked out for a lot of the night so I didn't think it was too loud at all, and in the middle Sam and Joey played just the two of them on acoustics and it was perfectly gentle.

My girlfriend and I got there fairly early and lucked out by getting right up front and centre. We'd seen Madison Cunningham open for Andrew Bird a few months ago and she was awesome again--what a guitarist.

IMG_20200202_192946.jpgIMG_20200202_200106.jpgIMG_20200202_203651.jpgIMG_20200202_214334.jpgIMG_20200202_202927.jpgIMG_20200202_205850.jpgIMG_20200202_225924.jpg

Oh man, I'm sorry you didn't like it! I saw them last night and they were phenomenal. They rocked out for a lot of the night so I didn't think it was too loud at all, and in the middle Sam and Joey played just the two of them on acoustics and it was perfectly gentle.

My girlfriend and I got there fairly early and lucked out by getting right up front and centre. We'd seen Madison Cunningham open for Andrew Bird a few months ago and she was awesome again--what a guitarist.

View attachment 31431View attachment 31432View attachment 31435View attachment 31437View attachment 31438View attachment 31439View attachment 31440

Glad you enjoyed it! It honestly could have just been the crowd. I was probably halfway back and the talking was just way too distracting to keep my attention on the band. I'm guessing up front with the die-hards was a completely different experience!

Glad you enjoyed it! It honestly could have just been the crowd. I was probably halfway back and the talking was just way too distracting to keep my attention on the band. I'm guessing up front with the die-hards was a completely different experience!
I hate the constant talking through shows. I also don't know how to address it. It's rude but also, I don't want to be the "get off my lawn" lady. You want to chat and catch up with your friend? Cool. I do that too. But generally not in the middle of a crowd of people while trying to compete with the band playing music that I paid to see.

Sigh.

That is the *worst* thing about going to shows, absolutely. As I get older (and probably go to more chill shows than I used to), I find people talking to each other during the music increasingly annoying. I've definitely started asking people to shut the fuck up more often than I used to, too! I'm sorry that was your experience for this show. Very annoying.

I caught Wolf Parade/Land of Talk last night at an early show at The Mohawk. Well, I actually only stayed for 3 or so songs from Wolf Parade. I had gotten the ticket primarily to see Land of Talk. I saw them at a SXSW day show back in 2006 or 2007, and thought they were terrific. I have not seen them live since then though, so I was curious to hear how they sounded. I thought they were in fine form last night. Elizabeth Powell is really underrated as a guitarist, songwriter and bandleader in my opinion. She also seemed to be having a lot more fun on stage than I remember from back in the day. I don't often say this about openers, but, I wish their set had been longer.

I should also mention that, whether it was the artist or the venue, whoever curated the pre-show and in-show music playlist for last night's Wolf Parade/Land of Talk show did an amazing job. There was a sequence before Land of Talk played that went from The Clean's 'Anything Could Happen' to Desmond Dekker's '007 (Shanty Town)' to Tom Tom Club's 'Genius of Love'. In between the two acts, they transitioned from Sleater-Kinney's 'Hurry on Home' to Brian Eno's 'King's Lead Hat'. Just brilliant stuff all night.

0208202128a_HDR.jpg

Poppy - I Disagree Tour

U Street Music Hall, Washington, DC, 2/8/2020

It's been a while, but here we are! My first concert of the year/decade! The incredible, illusive Poppy! Her recent metal/electro-industrial album I Disagree is a very interesting blend of sounds, and that translates to an even more intriuging live show. One moment, everyone in the crowd is head banging to heavy riffs that Meshuggah would be jealous of, and the next, they're swaying their arms to pop-punkish rhythms.

Her setlist was excellent. She played I Disagree in it's entirety, as well as the last three, rock oriented tracks from Am I A Girl? Scary Mask and a fantastic cover of t.A.T.u.'s All The Things She Said were thrown in for good measure.

My experience at the show wasn't the absolute best, through no fault of Poppy. The venue was sold out (packed as hell), and I got there unexpectedly late (only saw the last two songs of Vowws, the opener). I was pretty far in the back, squeezed between a railing in front of the sound booth and a bigger guy who didn't understand personal space. As a result of this, the vast majority of the pics I took didn't turn out great. All of these things, however, did not prevent me from enjoying the show and screaming along to every song. I'll just need to get there earlier next time if it's sold out.

All in all, a solid concert to start out the decade! I'd definitely recommend catching Poppy on the I Disagree tour! 😁

Up next, The Birthday Massacre and Julien-K at Baltimore Soundstage next month! Then a hefty string of summer shows!

View attachment 32125

Poppy - I Disagree Tour

U Street Music Hall, Washington, DC, 2/8/2020

It's been a while, but here we are! My first concert of the year/decade! The incredible, illusive Poppy! Her recent metal/electro-industrial album I Disagree is a very interesting blend of sounds, and that translates to an even more intriuging live show. One moment, everyone in the crowd is head banging to heavy riffs that Meshuggah would be jealous of, and the next, they're swaying their arms to pop-punkish rhythms.

Her setlist was excellent. She played I Disagree in it's entirety, as well as the last three, rock oriented tracks from Am I A Girl? Scary Mask and a fantastic cover of t.A.T.u.'s All The Things She Said were thrown in for good measure.

My experience at the show wasn't the absolute best, through no fault of Poppy. The venue was sold out (packed as hell), and I got there unexpectedly late (only saw the last two songs of Vowws, the opener). I was pretty far in the back, squeezed between a railing in front of the sound booth and a bigger guy who didn't understand personal space. As a result of this, the vast majority of the pics I took didn't turn out great. All of these things, however, did not prevent me from enjoying the show and screaming along to every song. I'll just need to get there earlier next time if it's sold out.

All in all, a solid concert to start out the decade! I'd definitely recommend catching Poppy on the I Disagree tour! 😁

Up next, The Birthday Massacre and Julien-K at Baltimore Soundstage next month! Then a hefty string of summer shows!

My dude! I'm glad you had a great time. Great write-up! Sorry to hear that the stage view wasn't ideal.
I guess it's time for me to give her new album a whirl for the first time...you have convinced me with your description here!

My dude! I'm glad you had a great time. Great write-up! Sorry to hear that the stage view wasn't ideal.
I guess it's time for me to give her new album a whirl for the first time...you have convinced me with your description here!

Ah, stage view is what it is. If you don't get there early, you miss out, so that's on me lol. Glad you enjoyed my little write up! Hope you enjoy the album, it's fantastic!

J.S. Ondara, who had a trio of strings accompanying him instead of his guitar. So good!!!

Mt. Joy I thought was pretty boring. Did a fun little medley which included part of Gorrilaz Clint Eastwood.

Lumineers were really fun. There was a really drunk couple behind us that yell sung about every song, but other than that...

IMG_20200208_190244.jpgMVIMG_20200208_194753_1.jpgIMG_20200208_210535.jpg

Ok my first show in many months- a pretty kickass show with Amanda Shires here at The Saturn (Space Is The Place!) in Birmingham

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200208222630922_COVER.jpg

I've got to say, she has really grown and evolved as a performer. Her set was pretty killer, mixing in solo and Highwomen tracks

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200208221327500_COVER.jpg

She also gave hilarious anecdotes to each band member, introducing a different one between songs. It was really a nice touch.

MVIMG_20200208_220904.jpg

Oh yeah and who is this fucker hiding in the shadows in an Amy Winehouse t shirt??!

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200208225335791_COVER.jpg

"CROSS YOUR FINGERS, ASSHOLES" - Isbell, off mic to the band while trying to tune his guitar before the encore

Also, my friend who works at the venue got punched by some girl the second time he had to throw her and her friends out. All in all, 10/10 Southern music experience.

Ok my first show in many months- a pretty kickass show with Amanda Shires here at The Saturn (Space Is The Place!) in Birmingham

View attachment 32295

I've got to say, she has really grown and evolved as a performer. Her set was pretty killer, mixing in solo and Highwomen tracks

View attachment 32296

She also gave hilarious anecdotes to each band member, introducing a different one between songs. It was really a nice touch.

View attachment 32297

Oh yeah and who is this fucker hiding in the shadows in an Amy Winehouse t shirt??!

View attachment 32298

"CROSS YOUR FINGERS, ASSHOLES" - Isbell, off mic to the band while trying to tune his guitar before the encore

Also, my friend who works at the venue got punched by some girl the second time he had to throw her and her friends out. All in all, 10/10 Southern music experience.

Her new single is pretty catchy. She definitely seems to be moving further away from the Americana tag with her solo work.

Isbell teased something on Twitter that is supposed to be announced tomorrow. Not sure if it is the new album he was also teasing a few weeks back, or a single is ready to go or what.

Went out to see Deserta, along with support from two Portland bands. I've never been to this venue before, but the capacity couldn't have held much more than ~150 people altogether. Had a great time!

The Mighty Missoula

20200218_213441.jpg

An instrumental post rock band from Portland to open the bill. They remind me a lot of Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You from what I heard. Very tight performance, and I wish they had played longer. Their upcoming album in coming out in April (their first on vinyl), and I am thinking about preordering a copy on Bandcamp to support them. Would love to see these guys again!

Deserta

20200218_220919.jpg

Was excited to see Deserta the most. Lead musician Matt Doty creates a gorgeous shoegaze atmosphere, although much harsher when performed live. It's too bad the vocals were set too low, as I couldn't even hear a damn word that was sung. It was especially neat to hear a cover of MBV's "Only Shallow" from Loveless near the end of the set...very faithful to the original! Got my LP signed by Matt after the set. Currently in my top 5 for the year!

15821414732778432852050986393893.jpg

Helens

20200218_230713.jpg

Unfortunately, the least interesting was reserved for last. I didn't know what to make of them, my ears were rung out from the volume of the first two bands, but I believe these guys loosely translate best as noise pop/twee pop, but not very good overall. Seemed like tempo was out of sync for most of their 30 min set. The lead guy's vocals were pretty atrocious, unfortunately.

For $9 altogether, a solid night!

Seeing U.S. Girls with seven singers (unfortunately not all seven could fit in frame) was spectacular. I honestly can't wait for the new album.

bygPP1q.png

Back