UK Members

Working from home last week. Been given a letter from work now that I can show to police etc if I am stopped to say I am essential worker and can not work from home ?!?
so tomorrow I will be in work. Can’t say I am happy about it. If you CAN work from home you should be working from home. END OF STORY.

Working from home last week. Been given a letter from work now that I can show to police etc if I am stopped to say I am essential worker and can not work from home ?!?
so tomorrow I will be in work. Can’t say I am happy about it. If you CAN work from home you should be working from home. END OF STORY.

Same here but not had a letter ... I’m now essentially a highly paid doorman letting so many at a time in my bank, whilst policing the queue to stay 2metres apart, whilst all the time at risk as everyone going in and out goes past me ! The joys of management... at least it’s only 4 hours a day

So I went into work today. Only to be told to work from home Tuesday. I thought they had finally seen sense but then they said they want me in on Wednesday. Day in then day out. Wtf.

I've been relatively quiet on here over the past few weeks, so just checking in. I've been working from home for the past 3 weeks now, and my girlfriend has been doing the same for the past 2 and a half weeks. Crazy to see how smooth the transition is, in fact I imagine the industry I'm in (Architecture) will change its stance on the need for offices in the future as a result of this. Ignoring the obvious things (not being able to go on-site visits for work, getting out of the house at the weekend/after work, etc) I'm actually finding the lockdown bearable. Been a good time to sort bits out around the home, listen to music, catch up on films/tv shows etc.

On a side note, my flat is at the top level of a 10-floor building, located on the top of a hill (so we are really elevated), with a view of Heathrow across to the city, and over to Crystal Palace. It's been INCREDIBLE to see the difference in the air. London has never been so clear, each building is easily recognisable and we can even see the individual cranes around Battersea power station (we are over 10 miles away and usually need to use binoculars to see it that clear). Silver linings...

Home schooling has been going really well. I'm so proud of my kids (7 and 4) and the way they are getting on with things. Got a little routine going and they're really enjoying themselves. Planting some dandelion and some burdock seeds this week because their science project is to grow them and then brew beer with them :D The eldest misses her friends, but she's getting to hangout with them via facetime. Got a chat and a hangout planned with one of her school buddies tomorrow lunchtime via a whatsapp video call. We're not cracking the whip, if they really aren't in the mood to do something then they can do something else or if they are deep in a game with each other at break time we don't disturb them to start work again. The most important thing is they are happy. I really want them to look back on this with really fond memories.

How are you guys getting on?
All good, thanks! We had been keeping ourselves to ourselves for a couple of weeks anyway, so we're used to it by now. Think the biggest thing is my wife missing taking our dog out for a walk. We've still got cash coming in, so we're OK, and I'm only really getting out to walk the dog and get food. My hay fever has kicked in, so all these sniffles are making me paranoid!

Sounds like you guys are making the most of it!

I share the pain in going to work..on one hand I feel it’s important to try and keep services going where possible, but I worry that in doing so the exposure to myself and then family when I return home is massively increased . Think we are going to start a reduced shift rota soon to start minimising the risk as much as possible, as we have way more people in than needed at times.
And my hay fever also kicked in so feel crap most mornings but that’s usual this time of year as I live in a rural location ... as long as temperatures ok I’m ignoring the sore throat !

All good, thanks! We had been keeping ourselves to ourselves for a couple of weeks anyway, so we're used to it by now. Think the biggest thing is my wife missing taking our dog out for a walk. We've still got cash coming in, so we're OK, and I'm only really getting out to walk the dog and get food. My hay fever has kicked in, so all these sniffles are making me paranoid!

Sounds like you guys are making the most of it!

i pass this info on all the time to hayfever sufferers - you ever tried a neti pot.
its essentially a tiny watering can you put luke warm salt water into - tilt head and pour into your nostril and out other nostril.
Completely clears sinuses and in my experience and anyone else who i know who reported back to me - massively reduces hayfever symptoms.

Theres a lot more fancy ones i noticed but that has always worked for me - appa great for dental health too ? Weird at first but you soon get used to it.

Back