Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Actually @HiFi Guy whilst on this could an EH be mixed with the GLs? I can’t see why not but just wanted to check.

The people I get my tubes from only sell they GL in individual only in matched pairs and quads, they will sell the EH individually and I’m being tight, I don’t want to spring for 2 tubes when only one went bad and they’re effectively going to be back ups for whatever tube I roll to (tempted by KT120s right now).

Actually @HiFi Guy whilst on this could an EH be mixed with the GLs? I can’t see why not but just wanted to check.

The people I get my tubes from only sell they GL in individual only in matched pairs and quads, they will sell the EH individually and I’m being tight, I don’t want to spring for 2 tubes when only one went bad and they’re effectively going to be back ups for whatever tube I roll to (tempted by KT120s right now).
Yes you can mix them. I’ve been buying a pair at a time (because buying 8 sucks) and putting one in the amp to replace the bad tube, and one on hand as a spare.

In fact I’ve popped one of the factory EL34s in the amp because I had no spare KT88s. Works fine. I’m probably killing the EL34 a bit early (due to higher current) but I don’t really care. The EL34s are emergency spares.

I’d probably be better off with 6550s as opposed to KT88s durability wise, but I prefer the KT88s sonically.

Yes you can mix them. I’ve been buying a pair at a time (because buying 8 sucks) and putting one in the amp to replace the bad tube, and one on hand as a spare.

In faxt, I’ve popped one of the factory EL34s in the amp because I had no spare KT88s. Works fine. I’m probably killing the EL34 a bit early (due to higher current) but I don’t really care. The EL34s are emergency spares.

I’d probably be better off with 6550s as opposed to KT88s durability wise, but I prefer the KT88s sonically.

Cool cheers. I’ll order an extra one then and keep the KT88s as spare set with the EL34 as emergency back ups with whatever I go for next in main spot.

I’ve just spent an absurd amount on records so I’m going to hold off buying the new tubes for a month or two but that’s all good to know!

So I got a delivery…

All new signal tubes. In the end I decided to stick with KT88s. I like how they sound and these EH ones are £10 cheaper each, before tax. I’ll pop two in now with two of my remaining GLs and a couple for spares.

113E64E8-1C6B-4453-B948-6DB894949BD2.jpeg

Last edited:
So I got a delivery…

All new signal tubes. In the end I decided to stick with KT88s. I like how they sound and these EH ones are £10 cheaper each. before tax. I’ll pop two in now with two of my remaining GLs and a couple for spares.

View attachment 109950
I’ve been running one of the EH KT88s for a couple of weeks now with no issues. I’ve got one more spare. I’m going to keep buying them as the GLs go out.

I’ve been running one of the EH KT88s for a couple of weeks now with no issues. I’ve got one more spare. I’m going to keep buying them as the GLs go out.

Yeah I have 2 of these in with 2 GL and 2 spare now. I’m still curious about the KT120’s and above but that’s going to be an experiment for another year down the line! I felt there was more value for now in sticking with what I know I like and getting the better gain and driver tubes.

I know they’re built in the same factory but beyond branding is it me or do:

1. The EH KT88 appear identical to the GL KT88; and

2. The EL 12AU7 Gold Pin appear identical to the GL ECC82.

Now granted I know the same tube type so they’re not going to differ too much but it’s more than that, it’s almost a struggle to see anything even remotely different bar branding.

Could the GL really be slap a different badge on it and charge £10 more?

Also delighted to have KT88s back in, they smoke the EL34 in every way.

Last edited:
I know they’re built in the same factory but beyond branding is it me or

1. The EH KT88 appear identical to the GL KT88.

2. The EL 12AU7 Gold Pin appear identical to the GL ECC82.

Now granted I know the same tube type so they’re not going to differ too much but it’s more than that, it’s almost a struggle to see anything even remotely different bar branding.

Could the GL really be slap a different badge on it and charge £10 more?

Also delighted to have KT88s back in, they smoke the EL34 in every way.
Interesting..........and not out of the realm of possibility honestly.

Just read that King Ip, of King-Ko Audio, is retiring due to business difficulties related to COVID. I consider myself fortunate to own one of his kick-ass little amplifiers, and it's sad that there won't be any more of them out there.

Just messing around with my new phone, it has a much better camera.

Anyway I really like this photo of my Luna! Also loving the blue glow off the two EH KT88s in the middle, they’re flanked by the two GL KT88s!

The longer I have the new driver and gain tubes in the more I like this thing, plus I’m probably upto nearly 400 hours by now so it’s opening up more a week by week! I’m still team triode too!

9576FFEE-F8E2-455E-AD33-75130863D852.jpeg

Just messing around with my new phone, it has a much better camera.

Anyway I really like this photo of my Luna! Also loving the blue glow off the two EH KT88s in the middle, they’re flanked by the two GL KT88s!

The longer I have the new driver and gain tubes in the more I like this thing, plus I’m probably upto nearly 400 hours by now so it’s opening up more a week by week! I’m still team triode too!

View attachment 113766
Triode wasn’t suited to my Focals, but it’s pretty magical with the Cheviots. I may be a convert!

Welp, got a tube out. Leaning toward the Gold Lion KT88's, from what little I know :). Any thoughts? I have the Black Ice Audio Fusion F22.

Get the Electro Harmonix KT88 would be my advice. Made in the same factory, sound fantastic and a tenner cheaper a tube!

I’ve been substituting them one by one in for my Gold Lions as they give up and I’ve been really impressed, no difference in sound!

Back