Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Almost 11 months to the day since I ordered it, the Decware SE84UFO2.1 finally arrived today. Letting it burn in a bit before listening too critically. It more than powers the old B&W bookshelf speakers I have. Solid bass too, regardless of its 2.3 watts. Will be powering a pair of Omega Compact Alnico Monitors I have on order.

Last edited:
Almost 11 months to the day zince I ordered it, the Decware SE84UFO2.1 finally arrived today. Letting it burn in a bit before listening too critically. It more than powers the old B&W bookshelf speakers I have. Solid bass too, regardless of its 2.3 watts. Will be powering a pair of Omega Compact Alnico Monitors I have on order.
Congrats. Can’t wait to hear about it.

Almost 11 months to the day since I ordered it, the Decware SE84UFO2.1 finally arrived today. Letting it burn in a bit before listening too critically. It more than powers the old B&W bookshelf speakers I have. Solid bass too, regardless of its 2.3 watts. Will be powering a pair of Omega Compact Alnico Monitors I have on order.
You missed the free tshirt by a month! I've been going back n forth on getting on the list vs going used. I have an older SE84C and love it.

So Russian manufactured new tubes really should be boycotted by us all now!

I think pretty much all of us using new tubes are running ones manufactured in Russia.

So I wonder what the best options now are?

I think pretty much all of us using new tubes are running ones manufactured in Russia.

JJ (Slovakian), PSVane and Shuguang (both Chinese).

I'm running a mixture of Tung-Sols and JJs. I actually have a soft spot for the JJ 12ax7s, and have enjoyed them on several amps over the richer but less defined Gold Lions.

JJ (Slovakian), PSVane and Shuguang (both Chinese).

I'm running a mixture of Tung-Sols and JJs. I actually have a soft spot for the JJ 12ax7s, and have enjoyed them on several amps over the richer but less defined Gold Lions.

PSVanes are interesting. I’ve fancied trying them for a while but they are really pricy for an amp with 10 tubes. I don’t like the JJ KT88s at all and I think the stock PrimaLuna are Shuguang.

This might actually tip me towards playing with NOS tubes when the time comes!

While I totally support Ukraine, the company that manufactures the vast majority of Russian tubes is American- New Sensor Corporation.

While I totally support Ukraine, the company that manufactures the vast majority of Russian tubes is American- New Sensor Corporation.

If they’re doing business in Russia and manufacturing there then I can’t support buying from them.

If they’re doing business in Russia and manufacturing there then I can’t support buying from them.
I’d see your point if New Sensor was government owned. Just because a business operates in Russia doesn’t mean the management or workers support Putin or his actions.

I’d see your point if New Sensor was government owned. Just because a business operates in Russia doesn’t mean the management or workers support Putin or his actions.

To a point. But any investment in Russia at a time where we are attempting to collapse their economy, and the thus the regime, is ethically questionable. Its pretty much the only weapon we have against Putin at the moment short of a declaration of war which none of us want but that is feeling ominously likely.

To a point. But any investment in Russia at a time where we are attempting to collapse their economy, and the thus the regime, is ethically questionable. Its pretty much the only weapon we have against Putin at the moment short of a declaration of war which none of us want but that is feeling ominously likely.
Visa and MasterCard ceasing operations there is fantastic. I hope American Express follows their lead.

If we are buying tubes based on politics, then JJ is it.

Any other vintage tube freaks in here? I came up on some 50s and 60s Mullard 12ax7s. Keeping some for myself, but have 1 pair of long plate 1957, and a few pair of short plate 60s that I am looking to sell. They're not NOS, but they test well into the good range on my emissions tester and sounded quite nice in my Fisher.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about or tried this Fosi X2? Someone on FB said for $60 it rivaled $200 units.

Fosi Audio Box X2 Phono Preamp for Turntable Preamplifier MM Phonograph Preamplifier with Gain Gear Mini Stereo Audio Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier for Record Player with DC 12V Power Supply

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XNTHHBP/

Has anyone heard about or tried this Fosi X2? Someone on FB said for $60 it rivaled $200 units.

Fosi Audio Box X2 Phono Preamp for Turntable Preamplifier MM Phonograph Preamplifier with Gain Gear Mini Stereo Audio Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier for Record Player with DC 12V Power Supply

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XNTHHBP/
$60 with tubes? Run the other way. If you are looking for a good budget piece, check out the Schiit Mani 2. No personal experience but it looks really good.

Back