Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

$587-ish shipped to be exact, all matched and Cryo, $67.95 each. There were slightly less expensive vendors, but I gotta be honest, I trust Upscale and their process, customer service and it's worth the little extra in my opinion.

Ah cryo does add a chunk usually, they don’t offer that on the GL KT88 at Watford Valves. I trust those guys too, a well established expert operation.

They charge £40+ VAT a shot for matched pairs or quads so that’s £48.40 times 8 is £387.20 which is $533 which actually I suppose considering the cryo charge isn’t that much of a difference. Ignore me. $600 just seemed like a big number 😂

Ah cryo does add a chunk usually, they don’t offer that on the GL KT88 at Watford Valves. I trust those guys too, a well established expert operation.

They charge £40+ VAT a shot for matched pairs or quads so that’s £48.40 times 8 is £387.20 which is $533 which actually I suppose considering the cryo charge isn’t that much of a difference. Ignore me. $600 just seemed like a big number 😂
The cryo was an additional $8 per tube ($64 total), seemed a minimal upgrade and yes, they seem pretty much in line either way ;)

The cryo was an additional $8 per tube ($64 total), seemed a minimal upgrade and yes, they seem pretty much in line either way ;)

For some reason I hadn’t realised there was such a difference between Sterling and the dollar, I thought they were still closer than that!

For some reason I hadn’t realised there was such a difference between Sterling and the dollar, I thought they were still closer than that!
Oh, I'm with ya. When I do the conversion for a an album purchase sometimes my reaction is "....that's not bad" and others its "..........holy hell", lol.

I ordered a quad of Electro-Harmonix 6CA7s, which is an EL34 variant. They’re relatively inexpensive at $23 and from what I’ve read, they have good bottom end and lower midrange detail, while maintaining that characteristic EL34 sound. 🤞

So my two new KT88s finally arrived. I’d put new ones on one amp in October/November and needed to replace the two in the other now as well. Should probably have just done all 4 back then...

Brexit chaos meant they took forever but also meant the post office are so swamped that they didn’t check at the border to charge VAT and customs so I got for them for the flat £40 each for the matched pair!

Gotta say the old Sony did a great job of breaking in the Lintons, they sound fantastic now! Also playing with the Grado settings again and I think I prefer it on the MC setting with low gain to the MM with high gain, has more punch!

Last edited:
Last edited:
They certainly keep their resale value. $900 off of new.

Edit: $765 off of new due to shipping charges. New ones came with free shipping.
It’s true. I think the best way to get one is through private sale. Chances are the owner has tubes they will no longer have a use for and will include them to sweeten the deal. Mine came with $625 worth of additional tubes that had really low hours on them.

I'm only about 25 hours in on the Electro Harmonix 6CA7s and I have to say they're doing everything I hoped they would. The sweet forward midrange of the EL34 is there without being overly lush or warm, just very musical. The PL EL34s had this too, but they sound really thin on my system. The EH's don't have this problem. The bass is exactly where I like it: it's well defined, has slam, but doesn't overwhelm. One tube is a little noisy, so I might see if I can exchange it. I can't hear it from my listening position so I'll give it some time to settle first.

We'll see what happens to the sound after they get more hours on them, but a matched quad from Viva Tubes cost me less than $70, which is a total bargain for what I'm hearing.

I'm only about 25 hours in on the Electro Harmonix 6CA7s and I have to say they're doing everything I hoped they would. The sweet forward midrange of the EL34 is there without being overly lush or warm, just very musical. The PL EL34s had this too, but they sound really thin on my system. The EH's don't have this problem. The bass is exactly where I like it: it's well defined, has slam, but doesn't overwhelm. One tube is a little noisy, so I might see if I can exchange it. I can't hear it from my listening position so I'll give it some time to settle first.

We'll see what happens to the sound after they get more hours on them, but a matched quad from Viva Tubes cost me less than $70, which is a total bargain for what I'm hearing.
I have purchased from Viva Tubes in the past. I won’t again. The tubes didn’t last long at all. It’s worth the few extra dollars to get tubes from Upscale.

I have purchased from Viva Tubes in the past. I won’t again. The tubes didn’t last long at all. It’s worth the few extra dollars to get tubes from Upscale.
Why would Viva being the merchant have anything to do with whether a set of tubes lasted or not? If we're talking about EHX tubes, don't all merchants pretty much stand the same chance of getting a dud or duds in a shipment?

Why would Viva being the merchant have anything to do with whether a set of tubes lasted or not? If we're talking about EHX tubes, don't all merchants pretty much stand the same chance of getting a dud or duds in a shipment?
I don't know about Viva, but Upscale tests, matches and so on before sending. It's not that they have a pile of tubes from XYZ and just package and send them to the customer.

Some links -

I don't know about Viva, but Upscale tests, matches and so on before sending. It's not that they have a pile of tubes from XYZ and just package and send them to the customer.

Some links -
Right. Viva claims to test and match as well. I've purchased tubes from all over the world via internet, and haven't noticed any one merchant that offers matching being appreciably worse than another. My amp has bias meters, too, so it's easy for me to see if they are way off right out of the box.

Right. Viva claims to test and match as well. I've purchased tubes from all over the world via internet, and haven't noticed any one merchant that offers matching being appreciably worse than another. My amp has bias meters, too, so it's easy for me to see if they are way off right out of the box.
Scroll down to see the video. Apparently Upscale tests to a very high standard and does an extra test as well. What I know is that the tubes I bought from Viva were the shortest lasting tubes of any I have ever purchased, of any type, used across numerous amplifiers.

Back