Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

FedEx is toying with me. First it says my two packages will arrive on the 17th, and then it says the 11th. This morning, one was arriving today and the other tomorrow, so I would have a couple sets of power tubes but nothing to put them in. Now they say both will arrive today.

Prologue Premium integrated? What were you running before?
It’s the Dialogue Premium. I was coming from a Jolida 801ARC which is a very good amp but I was financially ready for the next step and didn’t want to wait.
I knew I wanted to go with a tube amp, but was somewhat limited by my Focals which are not as efficient as you would think by peeking at the spec sheet. Decware was really tempting, but I’d need to go for their high-end to find something that worked. I considered getting more efficient speakers but I’m actually really happy with these and didn’t want to turn my entire setup upside down.

I also didn’t want a tube amp that would require a lot of maintenance or repair if a tube blew. PL gives me the no fuss tube amp I was looking for, lots of tube rolling options, sufficient power and a solid build. I also have two PL dealers within an hour’s drive. I went with the Dialogue because 4 power tubes cost half as much as 8, making tube rolling and replacement much less expensive.

It’s the Dialogue Premium. I was coming from a Jolida 801ARC which is a very good amp but I was financially ready for the next step and didn’t want to wait.
I knew I wanted to go with a tube amp, but was somewhat limited by my Focals which are not as efficient as you would think by peeking at the spec sheet. Decware was really tempting, but I’d need to go for their high-end to find something that worked. I considered getting more efficient speakers but I’m actually really happy with these and didn’t want to turn my entire setup upside down.

I also didn’t want a tube amp that would require a lot of maintenance or repair if a tube blew. PL gives me the no fuss tube amp I was looking for, lots of tube rolling options, sufficient power and a solid build. I also have two PL dealers within an hour’s drive. I went with the Dialogue because 4 power tubes cost half as much as 8, making tube rolling and replacement much less expensive.
You did well. I still love my Dialogue HP.

Believe me, I know. And @HiFi Guy has his Souls at a killer price too. I don’t think 20 watts would do it for the Focals.
You’re probably right! The gent I bought it from had Focals. :)

You should really just keep that Dec. I've read your reasoning for moving it along in this thread, but I think you'll just end up with the same or similar in the long run.
I don’t disagree, but in the short run it’s taking up quite a bit of room! And I do very much like the little KingKo; it might be ages before I have a spot for the Dec.

I’ll keep noodling on it.

You’re probably right! The gent I bought it from had Focals. :)

I don’t disagree, but in the short run it’s taking up quite a bit of room! And I do very much like the little KingKo; it might be ages before I have a spot for the Dec.

I’ll keep noodling on it.
One more thing and then I will stop: That same amp will cost more money to buy, one way or another, once you finally decide SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG! It's exactly like a Hallmark holiday romance movie. Exactly.

One more thing and then I will stop: That same amp will cost more money to buy, one way or another, once you finally decide SHE WAS THERE ALL ALONG! It's exactly like a Hallmark holiday romance movie. Exactly.
Honestly, it’s more a matter of the combined outlay of the two amps being more than I’d aimed to have out of pocket. Though as the balance is paid off, the idea of storing the Dec does tempt me.

Back