Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Scroll down to see the video. Apparently Upscale tests to a very high standard and does an extra test as well. What I know is that the tubes I bought from Viva were the shortest lasting tubes of any I have ever purchased, of any type, used across numerous amplifiers.

Fair enough. I have to admit that there is bit of voodoo in tubes, for me, and it never really surprises me if one lasts 6 months or 60 years. I have examples of both in my gear! Either way, I'll keep Upscale in mind next time I'm looking for some glass.

Yep, Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7 / ECC82. I'm planning on swapping out the power tubes to GL's as well maybe later in the year.

hang on a second haven’t you just posted a picture with 8 GL power tubes in your amp...

I'm only about 25 hours in on the Electro Harmonix 6CA7s and I have to say they're doing everything I hoped they would. The sweet forward midrange of the EL34 is there without being overly lush or warm, just very musical. The PL EL34s had this too, but they sound really thin on my system. The EH's don't have this problem. The bass is exactly where I like it: it's well defined, has slam, but doesn't overwhelm. One tube is a little noisy, so I might see if I can exchange it. I can't hear it from my listening position so I'll give it some time to settle first.

We'll see what happens to the sound after they get more hours on them, but a matched quad from Viva Tubes cost me less than $70, which is a total bargain for what I'm hearing.
Got my 6CA7 quad today. On very first listen (The English Beat, I Just Can't Stop It) and this sounds FANTASTIC. I am usually lukewarm with EHX tubes, but this is great. Thanks for bringing these to my attention! I mean, I doubt they're even warmed up yet and they are hitting on all fours.

Got my 6CA7 quad today. On very first listen (The English Beat, I Just Can't Stop It) and this sounds FANTASTIC. I am usually lukewarm with EHX tubes, but this is great. Thanks for bringing these to my attention! I mean, I doubt they're even warmed up yet and they are hitting on all fours.
I’m glad you like them. A couple weeks in and I’m really happy with them. Considering the price, they’re phenomenal.

On a side note, I contacted Viva Tubes about the 6CA7 that was a little noisy and they’re sending me a matched replacement.

Anyone using a tube phono pre ? After I get my speakers tidied up in the coming weeks I will be looking at trying a external phono pre amp. I would like to go tube just to add that extra realism, 3d spooky thing tubes can offer. I fully know the downs of tubes, microphonics, demand, and scary prices, etc .

On my list are the 834P clones, Hagerman Cornet, and Tavish Classic/SL7 right now. Just looking for general thoughts, experience, and opinions.

Anyone using a tube phono pre ? After I get my speakers tidied up in the coming weeks I will be looking at trying a external phono pre amp. I would like to go tube just to add that extra realism, 3d spooky thing tubes can offer. I fully know the downs of tubes, microphonics, demand, and scary prices, etc .

On my list are the 834P clones, Hagerman Cornet, and Tavish Classic/SL7 right now. Just looking for general thoughts, experience, and opinions.
Unfortunately haven’t been able to purchase one yet, but it’s the next upgrade should the house ever stop needing work. I’ve been able to listen to the EAR Phono Box, which was—if memory serves—quite pleasantly lush. A more involving/intimate? listen than my Black Cube SE II. My dealer then put in an Allnic H-1202, and while a bit less lush than the EAR it was finer in all respects. I lust after that thing. Sadly, Allnic’s discontinued the model and it’s being cleared out for $2895 USD. I think Hammertone still has three, last I looked. Its replacement. comes in at $4500 USD, which, once converted to CAD, puts it beyond my reach. Excuse me while I weep.

While I haven’t listened to them, you may want to give the Modwright PH9 and Icon Audio PS1 MK2 some thought. My research indicates they run neck in neck with the Allnic and Sutherland Duo.

Paging @AnthonyI , who had a Jolida JD9 (sold to @MikeH , I think?) and now has a Manley Chinook (along with a solid state Sutherland Insight).

Tavish Classic/SL7
Not familiar with your current selections, I can speak to both the Jolida and Manely. Both are exceptional, very flexible settings wise to work with just about any cart you throw at it. The Manley is up there price wise, but I found the Jolida used and it was amazing and affordable, if you like to tinker, the Jolida has options.

Tube on tube is a myth in my opinion, "Too Tubey" doesn't exist so if you ever go with a tube amp it'll be fine. Both the Jolida and Manley do a great job of expanding the musical space forward and back, giving the right pressing some real dimension beyond just left and right.

Really depends on your budget, goals and personal preference.

Maybe @MikeH can share how he's liking the Jolida so far to offer another perspective/opinion.

Not familiar with your current selections, I can speak to both the Jolida and Manely. Both are exceptional, very flexible settings wise to work with just about any cart you throw at it. The Manley is up there price wise, but I found the Jolida used and it was amazing and affordable, if you like to tinker, the Jolida has options.

Tube on tube is a myth in my opinion, "Too Tubey" doesn't exist so if you ever go with a tube amp it'll be fine. Both the Jolida and Manley do a great job of expanding the musical space forward and back, giving the right pressing some real dimension beyond just left and right.

Really depends on your budget, goals and personal preference.

Maybe @MikeH can share how he's liking the Jolida so far to offer another perspective/opinion.
I'm still really digging the Jolida! I would love to try some other tubes with it but just haven't had any time and am moving soon so it'll likely be awhile before I mess with it more. I definitely like the sound a lot though so thanks again for the deal on it :)

So, tube folks, anyone ever consider going back to solid state? I don't even really have a reason other than boredom but I keep thinking about maybe moving back to solid state in the future. I think my mind mildly misses the simplicity of an all solid state system.

If only my pockets were deep enough to have high end version of each, lol.

Back