Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

I'm curious what others who are more experienced with tube amps think I can do about the bass
Are you using the 8 or 4 ohm taps? If you are on the 8 ohm, try the 4 ohm. I just did that with my amp and it made a significant difference. My speakers are playing db's lower than on the 8 ohm taps

Are you using the 8 or 4 ohm taps? If you are on the 8 ohm, try the 4 ohm. I just did that with my amp and it made a significant difference. My speakers are playing db's lower than on the 8 ohm taps
My Focal 826v are rated at 8ohms but dip down to 2.9ohms in the upper bass, so I went to the 4ohm taps first. Haven’t tried 8 yet.

I really like modern Tung Sol tubes. Maybe give that one a shot too?
Listening to the Tung-Sol 12AX7 now and it’s probably closest to the JJ Gold Pin, but with a nice and wide soundstage. Bass is good. I also tried the 8ohm taps VERY briefly and it was non-starter with these speakers. The bass really dropped and the sound was very thin. The upper mids to treble was probably more linear, but the very harsh. I’m amazed at the difference.

I listened to a couple power tube comparisons today and I think the KT88’s might give me what I’m looking for, but I’d hate to drop the coin only to find the brand (or this amp) just doesn‘t mesh with the rest of my setup. Any recommendations?

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Schiit Freya+/Aegir combo. It was finally all in place yesterday, so no critical listening yet. Just Spotify during work to let it run in a bit. Still very much betters the NAD T763 receiver I was using. And, wow, soooooo quiet. I always had noise with the NAD. The Schiit gear has almost zero noise. If I am right by the speaker I can just tell the amps are on. Very impressed so far.

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Schiit Freya+/Aegir combo. It was finally all in place yesterday, so no critical listening yet. Just Spotify during work to let it run in a bit. Still very much betters the NAD T763 receiver I was using. And, wow, soooooo quiet. I always had noise with the NAD. The Schiit gear has almost zero noise. If I am right by the speaker I can just tell the amps are on. Very impressed so far.

View attachment 75149

View attachment 75150
Nice setup. What are those speakers?

Well, I did it. I waited for Decware's Black Friday sale and ordered an SE84UFO. I didn't even have to mention @wooha to convince my wife! This will be my first tube amp, very excited. There are only about 200 orders ahead of me, so it should be here in a mere 20 weeks or so.
View attachment 78471
And here I am selling a Torii Jr!

Congratulations. You'll love it.

Back