Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

RHwkZwp.jpg

fmg0R9Z.jpg

ZuJarUc.jpg
What are you using as a phono pre?

Update: definitely a bad tube, but just the one.
It’s no biggie. This is why it’s good I still have the JoLida. :)

Listening to them one after the other, the KingKo pretty clearly has a meatier midrange. JoLida may have wider soundstage?

The tube complement on the JoLida is certainly much nicer. If the KingKo sounds that pleasant with cheapo tubes, pretty impressed.

Last edited:
It’s no biggie. This is why it’s good I still have the JoLida. :)

Listening to them one after the other, the KingKo pretty clearly has a meatier midrange. JoLida may have wider soundstage?

The tube complement on the JoLida is certainly much nicer. If the KingKo sounds that pleasant with cheapo tubes, pretty impressed.
If you're going to run the KingKo with the Chinese tubes for a while, I'd expect that future tube rolling will give you opportunities for wider soundstage. I've never decided to keep a Chinese tube in any of my gear for the long run.

If you're going to run the KingKo with the Chinese tubes for a while, I'd expect that future tube rolling will give you opportunities for wider soundstage. I've never decided to keep a Chinese tube in any of my gear for the long run.
I will probably pick up some Tung-Sols and/or Gold Lions to replace the Chinese tubes. That said, the JJs I’ve used in the past have been reliable.

I’ve sort of intentionally shied away from NOS tubes. That seems like a real slippery slope.

I will probably pick up some Tung-Sols and/or Gold Lions to replace the Chinese tubes. That said, the JJs I’ve used in the past have been reliable.

I’ve sort of intentionally shied away from NOS tubes. That seems like a real slippery slope.
I've gone both ways. If you find the right NOS, there can be very real magic. But it's also kind of a crap-shoot, can be frustrating, and gets expensive. For modern tubes, I have had really good luck with Tung-Sol and Gold Lions myself. I tend to prefer Tung-Sol for preamp tubes, but obviously YMMV for so many reasons.

For the 12AX7s.....I’d go Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

For the EL84s- I’d get in touch with Manley and see if they will sell you whatever they use. They test and match everything so it’s a safe bet.

I've gone both ways. If you find the right NOS, there can be very real magic. But it's also kind of a crap-shoot, can be frustrating, and gets expensive. For modern tubes, I have had really good luck with Tung-Sol and Gold Lions myself. I tend to prefer Tung-Sol for preamp tubes, but obviously YMMV for so many reasons.
My JoLida’s got Tung-Sol 6550s and 12ax7, the other two 6SN7GTs are Sovtek. Been pleased with them. I rolled in a Gold Lion 12ax7 but its a bit too lush and dreamy in my setup. The Tung-Sols have a pleasantly direct, but smooth, quality that meshes well.

For the 12AX7s.....I’d go Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

For the EL84s- I’d get in touch with Manley and see if they will sell you whatever they use. They test and match everything so it’s a safe bet.
I’ll check out the Sovtek! I ordered a few modest new production tubes last night but I imagine I’ll continue to play around with the configuration! Just wanted something inexpensive to get me up and running in case the KingKo tube takes time to get here.

My JoLida’s got Tung-Sol 6550s and 12ax7, the other two 6SN7GTs are Sovtek. Been pleased with them. I rolled in a Gold Lion 12ax7 but its a bit too lush and dreamy in my setup. The Tung-Sols have a pleasantly direct, but smooth, quality that meshes well.

I’ll check out the Sovtek! I ordered a few modest new production tubes last night but I imagine I’ll continue to play around with the configuration! Just wanted something inexpensive to get me up and running in case the KingKo tube takes time to get here.
I think you’ll really dig an EL84 based amp. Of all the gear I had through the house when I was reviewing, the only thing I regret not buying was the Manley Mahi monoblocks and the Jumbo Shrimp preamp.

One day I may spring for them. You never know.

I think you’ll really dig an EL84 based amp. Of all the gear I had through the house when I was reviewing, the only thing I regret not buying was the Manley Mahi monoblocks and the Jumbo Shrimp preamp.

One day I may spring for them. You never know.
What did you like about those units in particular? Is there are particular Manley sound they share? I have the Chinook obviously, but really curious about your experience.

An auction for a Manley Chinook SE phono stage is ending shortly, no bids yet, starting bid is $1299.
No description? But it looks to be the Upscale Audio Special Edition from the pictures:
Light action on high end audio auctions lately, so this one might end up being a bargain

Last edited:
An auction for a Manley Chinook SE phono stageis ending shortly, no bids yet, starting bid is $1299.
No description? But it looks to be the Upscale Audio Special Edition from the pictures:
Light action on high end audio auctions lately, so this one might end up being a bargain
Someone needs to jump on that.

Back